Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MACRON Launch & Alliance/Novice

Each Ship Is Worth Four

You have the power of Mass. When you are the offense, use this power before launching ships in an encounter. When you are the defense or an ally, use this power after allies are invited. If you are the offense or an ally, you may only send one ship into the encounter. each of your ships adds 4 to your side's total in the encounter instead of 1. When collecting compensation or rewards, each of your ships is worth two ships.

HISTORY: Beginning life on a gargantuan planet, the Macrons accustomed themselves to tremendous atmospheric and gravitational forces. Power comes so naturally to them that they scoff at the fragile intelligences they crush on their way to universal dominance.

FLARE

Reveal
Wild: As a main player or ally, after you reveal an attack card in an encounter, you may add 1 to your side's total for each ship you have in the encounter.

Launch
Super: As the offense or an ally, you may launch up to four ships in the cone.

Commentary: This is a combat power. Fantasy Flight gave Macron a lot of love! The one problem Macron had in the past was poor access to getting cards. Compensation as offense, rewards as defensive ally, only having one ship meant only getting 1 card. This hurt Macron because cards are a necessary resource. Other players were getting more cards than Macron; thus, Macron was indirectly hurt by its own power. Getting two cards for a ship helps to mitigate that problem, and if Macron plays a Negotiate while defending he can get his opponent's entire hand! Macron is shown further love by specifying the power is "used" at some time before cards are revealed. In editions past, when Macron was zapped it was after cards are revealed. A player counting on his ships being worth 4 got a nasty surprise. Now Macron has warning when his ships are only worth 1. Macron is still vulnerable to specific ship removal effects because of only having one ship on a planet for a long while, but that is par for the course. Macron's arch-enemy is Shadow.

The Super Flare should be Launch and Alliance.

On a side note, unless it was a typo, I disagree with the Mayfair rulebook that having the power combo Amoeba/Macron is a conflict. The idea behind that reasoning is Macron's limit of one ship on the cone, thus Amoeba can't be used. I say Amoeba can be used. All players already have a limit to the number of ships they may put on the cone, namely 4. Amoeba can certainly ooze in more than 4. Macron's limit just happens to be of a lesser amount. There's no reason why as Amoeba the player can't ooze in more over this lower limit, especially considering Amoeba's power is used long after Macron fulfilled its requirements. Therefore, Amoeba/Macron is a super combo.

Gerald Katz
Don’t forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
Macron is shown further love by specifying the power is "used" at some time before cards are revealed. In editions past, when Macron was zapped it was after cards are revealed. A player counting on his ships being worth 4 got a nasty surprise. Now Macron has warning when his ships are only worth 1.

Check the FAQ: FFG errata'd Macron so that it can still have the rug pulled out from under it without warning.

hadsil wrote:
The Super Flare should be Launch and Alliance.

And the base power is also missing a Reveal icon, among other things. Macron is pretty much the poster child for screwed-up text and icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the Marcon-Amoeba combo.

I came up with an idea to prevent the Shadow weakness - and even worse, the Bully or Hate weakness, which can eliminate multiple colonies at the same time.

Each ship not in the encounter counts as two ships for the purpose of other powers that target specific ships (Like the ones mentioned above). A ship can be "half-killed" - place a token under it or replace it with a ship of a color not in the game. If such a ship is targeted by such a power again, it is affected normally. In other words, these "half-killed" ships count as one ship normally. When a half-killed ship goes to the warp (or out of the game, or captured) replace it with a regular Macron ship.

My original method of indicating the Macron's "double ships" was to use an unused color ship under every Macron ship. The first Shadow/Bully/Hate affect removes the extra ship underneath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I'm not really bothered Macron is vulnerable to specific ship removal effects. It's just something Macron needs to do to overcome, such as allying defensively then returning the ship to a one-ship colony.

Personally I couldn't use your idea because that's effectively my Twins power if playing with my game, but I'm ok with it as a house rule in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was just a thought. I've never actually used it in a game. It's just something to do in case some players think Macron is hosed too much by those types of powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's interesting to see the different "fixes" people propose for Macron, but by far my favorite was proposed by someone named Tshen (whose handle was "bunnythor") a long time ago on the newsgroup. It's really simple, Macron can always bring two ships into the gate (or two tokens onto the cone or whatever). This is still something of an Achilles' heel, but ensures that Shadow (or Bully) needs to maintain a more sustained attack to remove colonies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ce noob
Singapore
flag msg tools
I apologize for the bump but I don't want to flood the forum with another thread of the same alien.

How does Macron work as a defensive main or ally? If I am attacked on my home system with 4 ships, do they count as 4 x 4 = 16? If so, can I play a negotiate and claim 8 cards?

As a defensive ally, can I send 4 ships to help defend another planet?

Thank you so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cenoob wrote:
I apologize for the bump but I don't want to flood the forum with another thread of the same alien.

How does Macron work as a defensive main or ally? If I am attacked on my home system with 4 ships, do they count as 4 x 4 = 16? If so, can I play a negotiate and claim 8 cards?
Yes.

cenoob wrote:
As a defensive ally, can I send 4 ships to help defend another planet?
No. You can send only one ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has published four different versions of Macron: two on their website (one matching the first printed version), then a revision in the FAQ, and finally a fourth attempt in the second edition of the base game. All four are messed up in one way or another.

The Cosmodex has a corrected version of Macron that includes the FAQ errata and fixes the other problems. Here's a copy without most of the markup:

Macron (based on FAQ errata) wrote:
You have the power of Mass. As the offense or an ally, use this power when sending ships into the encounter. You may send only one ship.

As a main player or ally, use this power after encounter cards are revealed. Each of your ships counts as 4 toward your side's total instead of 1.

When collecting compensation or rewards, each of your ships is worth two ships.
(Main Player or Ally Only) (Mandatory) (Launch) (Alliance) (Reveal)

Wild: As a main player or ally, after your side reveals an attack card, you may add 1 to your side's total for each ship you have in the encounter.
(Main Player or Ally Only) (Reveal)

Super: As the offense or an ally, you may send up to four ships into the encounter.
(Offense or Ally Only) (Launch) (Alliance)

If they decide to try their luck again, hopefully they will just use this version and put an end to the embarrassment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yitzchak Handel
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Vive La France - Macron for Le President! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.