Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like such an obvious question that I think I must just be missing it in the rules, but I can't seem to find it so here goes...

Are the special abilities on character cards playable from both orientations of that card? In other words, does the text of the special ability have to be right side up (from my perspective) for the special ability to work, or does it matter?

Thanks for the help! The game looks like great fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you refer only to those cards that have abilities that activate during combat (as for "from hand" and "from discard" abilities orientation doesn't matter).
Generally, they work in any orientation. For Example, with Val's A you get to draw an extra card if you hit with either side. Also, if you played DeGrey's 7, no matter which side is face your opponent, you can rotate.
On the other hand, some cards, like Arg's A say "if you block an attack with this card..." - that of course only applies to one side, because the other side is an attack and not a block. Same with Rook's 3 and 5, DeGrey and Lum's A and similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, just read the card. If the conditions on the card are met, you are able to play it.

Arg's A and Lum's A both trigger only on a single side. Val's A and Degrey's 7 make no mention of side, so you may use them for either side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wiens
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Probably would have become obvious if I had played the game before posting. Just reading the rules and trying to get everything down beforehand...that question stuck in my mind. Great game though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can't read the card text because it is upside-down, just ask your opponent to read it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got other even more basic questions about unique abilities:
-Are the innate abilities able to be evoked just because you are that player? Nothing needed other than the conditions met and your declaration?
-Do all the card-specific abilities tell you clearly how to activate them? I'm wondering if you ever play the card separate from the other phases to evoke the ability, or whether you always must play the card as part of a normal move (combat, bluff, powerup, combo, pump) with the ability there as a "bonus"?
I realize I'm not asking my questions clearly, but I don't come from CCG so patience appreciated. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
jkandell wrote:
Are the innate abilities able to be evoked just because you are that player? Nothing needed other than the conditions met and your declaration?

Indeed. Whenever Grave blocks successfully, you can use his innate, and whenever Setsuki is down to one or zero cards at the end of the turn, she gets to use hers. Nothing else needed.

jkandell wrote:
Do all the card-specific abilities tell you clearly how to activate them? I'm wondering if you ever play the card separate from the other phases to evoke the ability, or whether you always must play the card as part of a normal move (combat, bluff, powerup, combo, pump) with the ability there as a "bonus"?

The cards do tell you how to activate them, and quite a few of them are activated by playing that particular card out of sequence (at the time they specify). Examples:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkandell wrote:
I've got other even more basic questions about unique abilities:
-Are the innate abilities able to be evoked just because you are that player? Nothing needed other than the conditions met and your declaration?

Correct. Just by playing as midori, your dragon attacks beat dodges. No activation necessary, they just do. Grave can choose to use/not use "knowing the opponent" because in the text it says he "may" do it. For example, if you are playing grave and are down to only 2 cards and you use 1 to block, you might not want to reveal your only other card, so you can choose not to do it at that time.

Quote:
-Do all the card-specific abilities tell you clearly how to activate them? I'm wondering if you ever play the card separate from the other phases to evoke the ability, or whether you always must play the card as part of a normal move (combat, bluff, powerup, combo, pump) with the ability there as a "bonus"?
I realize I'm not asking my questions clearly, but I don't come from CCG so patience appreciated. :-)

The abilities that are printed on the cards all have specific conditions. Almost all of them are "discard this card during phase X to gain ability Y." For example, Midori's Dragon Form says:
Quote:
After the draw phase, you may play this card face up on the table to enter Dragon Form..."

There are a few that are triggered when you play that specific card as your combat card. For example, Degrey's Point, Counterpoint says:
Quote:
If you play this card as your face down combat card, after cards are revealed you may discard a card to rotate this card 180 degrees..."

Or Degrey's Ace:
Quote:
When you dodge an attack or Joker with Ghost Reposte [The Ace's Dodge side]...

You can check out all the cards here:
http://www.sirlingames.com/pages/yomi-card-images

Are there any that you are having trouble with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.