Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen, I have just got back from HQ from my rant with Colonel LeMay. He assured me that the powers to be have taken note of the beating the 281st as well as the rest of the 3rd Bombardment Wing. They have already adjusted their target list to give all the new crews a chance to get some time in the air before we go back to Germany. Today we go to France to hit the Marshaling yards of Rouen.

We are still accepting new planes to join the group, as we start a second tour. For those of you just joining us, here is a summary of the "rules," as they are:
* I will be rolling up the mission parameters, fighter support, flak cover, weather and date for all missions.
* There is no required format for reporting your results, but the more info you present the more entertaining it is for everyone. If you track who gets injured, how many fighter kills, etc., then I can summarize that info at the end of the mission period for all bombers.
* All flights must be flown by the following Sunday (in this case, 11/3/06), and I will prepare an After Action Report the following Monday. If you happen to miss a week or two, no big deal, just join back in when you can.
* All planes are assigned to a squadron. If you are new, just post a response in the thread giving your plane name and you will be assigned a squadron. Squadrons are being given a position (High, Middle, Low or Low- Low.) by jasta6, as recorded here.
* Lead and Tail positions are still being assigned to volunteers. Please note that only bombers in MIDDLE position can be lead, and only bombers in LOW-LOW position can be tail. So if you are in one of those squadrons, and nobody has yet volunteered for a position, roll 1d6. If you get a 6, you are the lucky winner.
* Some optional rules can be found here.

After Vegesack, and Wilhelmshaven we have lost too many of our comrades. We will be starting out with mostly new crews. Keep an eye out for Jerry and back each other up with coordinated fire. Good luck and Gods speed boys!

MISSION Forty-seven:
Date: March 28, 1943
Primary Target: Rouen, France – Railroad Marshalling Yards
Secondary Target: None – none
Bomb Load: 12 x 500 lb H.E. M43 bombs
Bombing Altitude: 22,600 ft (Lead Group)

Gazetteer: Zone 2: –2 W / Zone 3: –1 W / Zone 4: 0 F

Target Flak: heavy
Target Weather: good 5/10 cloud cover
Base Weather: good

(8th Fighter Command 4 FG Spitfires defensive patrol)
Zone 2 outbound: fair
Zone 3 outbound: poor
Zone 4 outbound: fair
Zone 4 inbound: poor
Zone 3 inbound: fair
Zone 2 inbound: poor

Note: Gents, don’t forget to add your Squadron Positions modifiers to the above Gazetteer values.

-Historical Mission: (from “The Mighty 8th War Diary by R.A.Freeman) Mission 47 was to Rouen/Sotteville, France. There is no commentary for this mission. 70 Aircraft from the 1st Bombardment Wing (BW) bombed the target. The 2nd BW flew a the mission with 24 A/C but were recalled. This was the 24th mission for the 303rd BG (H).

Mission 47 sorties 79 B-17’s with 70 ships making it to the target. These planes came from the 91st, 303rd, 305th and 306th BG (H). One B-17’s lost from the 91st, with 9 bomber reporting damage. No airman was killed with two wounded on this run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, please remember I would like players to, at a minimum, list the Crew (pilots name with rank and Planes name of their Fortress at the beginning of all AAR post to help me facilitate updating the Roster List? Please use the format below as this will help me create the list in a timely manor.

If this format is not followed I may have to pass over your record as it takes more time to compile than it should have to. Adding this information will make it much easier to assemble this extra fluff for our campaign. Please remember to also add your pilot’s rank.

Thank You!

EXAMPLE wrote:
Pilot: 1st Lt.. Andy Anybody
B-17: "Bombs Alot/Miss alot"

Jim P cool
Thanks....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
281st BG (V) Aircraft Roster for Mission 47 [Rouen, France – Marshalling Yards]

- Player's Squadron Assignment can be found at this thread: Squadron Assignment

- Squadron Positions for this mission can be found at this thread: Squadron Positions

- For Details on the 281st see: 281st BG (V)

Mission : (Volunteers)
---- Lead: 1st Lt. Dennis Barry's Crew in "Black Betty" (B-17F-45-BO 42-5346)
---- Tail: 1st LT. James Bashnagel's crew in "Venomous Fate" (B17F-20-DL42-3046)

Capt. George Venekoudis crew in "Macedonia" [AAR]

1st LT. James Bashnagel's crew in "Venomous Fate" (B17F-20-DL42-3046) [AAR]

1st Lt. Dennis Barry's Crew in "Black Betty" (B-17F-45-BO 42-5346) [AAR]

Flt Lt Blackadder's crew in "Blackadder Goes Forth" [AAR]

1st Lt. Edward Acton's crew in "Mainer Miss" (B-17F-45DL 42-6085) [AAR]

1st Lt. Bernie Kosar's crew in "The Dawg Pound" (B-17F-15-DL 43-7695) [AAR]

Flt Lt Shakespeare's crew in "Love's Labour's Lost" [AAR]

1st Lt. Sly Stallone's crew in "Miss Hollywood" [AAR]

1st Lieut. Scott Stevens crew in "The GreenLion" (B-17F-90-B0 42-30165) [AAR]

1st Lt. R. Razoni's crew in "Seattle's Best" [AAR]

2nd Lt. Clarence Cornealius crew in "JOLLY ROGER II" [AAR] MIA

2nd Lt. Julius Frasier's crew in "Happy Ten" [AAR]

2nd Lt. Broderick Young's crew in "Flying Fantasy" [AAR]

Lt Jeff Young's crew in "Mammy Yokum" [AAR]

Major Chase Pfalzstaff
Squadron Operation Officer
Elveden Hall, UK
3rd Bombardment Division HQ

(edits; Crews added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fleming
United States
La Salle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
All the same we take our chances, tricked by circumstances.
mbmbmbmbmb
Major Pfalzstaff,

I would like to request my aircraft and crew be assigned the tail position for the upcoming mission to Rouen.

Respectfully,

1st LT. James Bashnagel, commander B17: Venomous Fate
152nd Bomb Squadron (BB-DOORMAT) 281st BG (H).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interlude
Following the nightmare that was Wilhelmshaven, Lt. Broderick Young, the remaining crew of the Home Wrecker, along with members of the 153rd and others from the 281st, gathered at The White Feather, Lord Flashheart's favorite pub, to pay tribute to the man and to those others lost.

One thing that came to Lt. Young's mind was a lesson from American history. Following the Battle of Fredericksburg (December 13th, 1862) the Irish Brigade had been devastated. Out of 1.200 men that went into battle over 500 had been lost. One regiment, the 88th New York Infantry, suffered 50% losses. Following the battle the 88th had a party to dedicate the new flag that had come from New York (the old having been severely battle damaged).

At that party a young private of the 88th, gave a toast that summed up the thoughts to Lt. Young. "To those of us, and those like us, damn few of us. To those of us, and those like us, to those that have gone before."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Duck and Dog, 1st Lt. Sly Stallone, pilot of Miss Hollywood was asked by a young noncom why he volunteered for this flight. He replied:

"Because I can't sing or dance."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Big Island
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the mission briefing complete, the crews of the 153rd were filing out into the dark past some of the squadron staff. Among them, Captain Ed Acton's stuck out. With the warmer temperature's Ed had replaced his winter cap with a battered tan peaked cap, making it easier for the Adjutant to find him. Ed stopped when he felt a tug on his jacket sleeve, he half turned, "Hm? Oh, hey Hank."

"Hey Ed," Capt. James, the squadron's perpetually rumpled Adjutant with his clipboard stuck under his arm. pulled Ed away from his crew. With a puzzled look, Acton waited for an explanation. Looking grim, he tapped the board, "You're replacing Flasheart as Flight commander. I've got you a couple of replacements, but, you know." He shrugged.

"Big shoes to fill. Thanks for telling me Hank," Ed turned to leave leaning on the cane he hadn't been seen without recently. James wiped his brow with his sleeve, "Good luck Ed." The other Captain tossed off a friendly wave as he limped out the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Big Island
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report #C2M46
March 28, 1943

A/C name (number): Mainer Miss (B-17F-45DL 42-6085)
Pilot: Captain Edward Acton
Unit: 153rd Bombardment Squadron, 218th Bombardment Group (Heavy)
Callsign: Pushover Easy
Mission #: 47/11
Target: Rail yard, Rouen, Occupied France
Position P/S: Middle/High

Crew/Status/Actions:
Pilot: Capt. Edward Acton/OK
-Distinguished Service Cross
-Air Medal
-Purple Heart w/ five clusters
-Missions Completed: 11
Co-Pilot: 2Lt. Issac Laughton/OK
-Missions Completed: 1
Bombardier: 1Lt. Kent Jones-Little/OK
-Purple Heart w/ four clusters
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 4
Navigator: F/O Ivan Perot/OK
-Air Medal
-Purple Heart w/ cluster
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 4.5
-Missions Completed: 5
Flt Engineer: T-3 Louis Prine/OK
-Distinguished Service Cross
-Distinguished Flying Cross
-Air Medal
-Purple Heart
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 30.5
R/O: TSgt. Dan 'Sparks' Douglas/OK
-Purple Heart w/ cluster
Ball Gnr: Sgt. Erik Watson/OK
Port Wst: Sgt. Gordon Patterson/OK
Strb Wst: Sgt. Amos Camden/OK
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 2
Tail Gnr: SSgt. Andrew Angle/OK
-Air Medal w/ two clusters
-Purple Heart w/ cluster
-AC Total (mission inclusive): 17.5

Medal Recommendations:
Air Medal:
Staff Sergeant Andrew Angle

Enemy Aircraft Claimed:
Flight Officer Ivan Perot: one Fw-190
Technician 4th Grade Louis Prine: one Me-109, two Fw-190 probable
Sergeant Andrew Angle: one Me-109, one Fw-190, one Me-110, one Fw-190 probable
Sergeant A. Robert Camden: one Me-109, one Fw-190

Bomb Drop: On target
Bombing Accuracy: 93%
Bomb Load: 12 x 500 lb H.E. M43 bombs
Bombing Altitude: 22,600 ft.

B-17 Status:
No. 1 Engine seriously damaged from overheating, port aileron destroyed, port wing root damaged, tail gunner oxygen system damaged, starboard wing root damaged, ball turret mechanism seriously damaged, pilot compartment window damaged, engine extinguisher control destroyed, nose heating system destroyed, bomb bay doors damaged, starboard wing flap superficially damaged

Mission Description:

On the whole, despite the continued sub-par performance of our comrades at the Fighter Command, this turned out to be as quiet a mission as expected. Thank god for that, I was starting to see U Boat pens in my sleep. Back to the subject at hand. Soon after we started to cross the channel a whole pack of fighters started swarming us. Sergeant Angle put down a 110 that came up from six low with due haste, but T-3 Prine and the new ball turret gunner just shot into the air. Luckily, Prine's 190 missed us completely. The 190 at twelve low only knocked out the port aileron and caused some light damage to the fuselage. Plus, Prine redeemed himself and sent him away in flames on his second pass. There was a 109 at 1:30 level but he seemed skittish and didn't even fire his guns.

Approaching the French coast some of those kids from Cherbourg rolled in on us. Kent nicked one of the 109's at twelve level, which apparently scared him enough that he missed us completely. Sergeant Camden showed his skill when he plucked the 109 approaching from 1:30 high right out of the sky. Over Rouen the Luftwaffe returned in force. A solo 109 dove down on us; Technical Sergeant Douglas managed to put a few holes in him before T-3 Prine shot him to pieces. Finally, a few Spits wandered over in time to drive off a two 190's at twelve high and nine level. The survivors kept at us, but Ivan managed to down his second Focker at 1:30 level. Sergeant Angle knocked down a 190 from twelve high, and a final 190 that dove in on us blew right past us. Finally, another 109 drifted from high into Angle's guns and followed his comrade down. I saw a couple of chutes as we made the turn later.

A pair of flak bursts damaged both wings and the tail, but not badly. It didn't throw Kent off at all; he put about 93% of the ordnance on target. Not quite sure, but I think that tops his first mission performance. As we pulled off the target and turned for England, our little friends had vanished again. More 190's bounced us as we left the target area. One at nine high missed us, as did a second that Sergeant Angle probable destroyed from six high. One at twelve high damaged the waist compartment, including the ball turret machinery, and the port wing. T-3 Prine set him on fire as he pulled around for a second pass, but he still damaged the cockpit window. One at three high damaged the bomb bay doors, #1 engine oil tank, and threw a scare into Lt. Laughton. From 1:30 level the last 190 knocked out our nose compartment's heat and damaged the pilot compartment again. Sergeant Douglas broke out the extra coats and the front in crew dodged frostbite.

Returning over the channel Sergeant Camden blew away a 190 that jumped us from 1:30 high. I have to say, Camden's probably the best replacement waist gunner I've got yet. The other two 190's he brought along for the party shied off and missed us. After that, the sky was clear of Luftwaffe aircraft all the way back to the runway. It was nice not to slam into the ground for once, hope it becomes a more regular thing.

Sincerely,

1st Lieutenant Edward Acton
B-17F-45DL 42-6085 "Mainer Miss"
153rd BS, 281st BG (H)

Replacements:
None

Notes:
I felt a bit nervous when I started seeing fighters in Zone 2, but it didn't turn out two bad. My jaw dropped when the rookie starboard gunner rolled two sixes out of three tries, the when they rolled two more.... if his career doesn't get cut short things are looking up for my waist gunners
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mastermunster wrote:
"You're replacing Flasheart as Flight commander.

"I was a Flight commander ? My dear fellow, I just followed everybody else !"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McDonald
United States
Big Island
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're guess is as good as mine what that means anyway. I just smile and nod my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR) #47

Pilot: 1st Lt. Sly Stallone
B17: Miss Hollywood

Sqdn.: 151st
Mission : 1
Target: Rouen – Railroad Marshalling Yards
Position: Low

Crew Status:
Pilot: 1st Lt. Sly Stallone
Copilot: 1st Lt. Arnie Schwarzenegger
Bombardier: 2nd Lt. Clive Owen
Navigator: 2nd Lt. Jason Statham SW-Recovered
Engineer: Msgt. Mickey Rourke
Radio Operator: Sgt. Jesse Ventura
Ball Gunner: Sgt. Carl Weathers
Port Waist: Sgt. Dwayne Johnson
Starboard Waist: Sgt. Steve Austin
Tail Gunner: Sgt. Dolph Lundgren

Bomb Drop :0%

Fighters Encountered: 5
Fighters Driven off: 3
Enemy Claimed Shot down: 0. Get that?! ZERO!!!

B-17s disposition: Rudder hit, Clive’s oxygen hit, superficial damage Total hits:10. 31 Peckham points.

Mission Description:

This was a short trip to Rouen. We met up with a couple fighters and winged two of them but no confirmed kills. I’m very upset that our gunners couldn’t even down one German plane.

Flak was heavy and Jason was knocked for six. Clive started poking him with a carrot to wake him up and ended up dropping the bombs late.

After landing I went with Jason to visit the nurses. They said he’d be okay for the next mission. That womanizer just looked at me and said “See ya later, lootenant” and started making out with a red head from the nursing staff. I said…

“You know Jason, some people might think you're cute. But me, I think you're one very large baked potato.”

1st Lt. Sly Stallone
Miss Hollywood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

March 24th, 1943. After the terrible beating it has taken at Wilhelmshaven, the 281st BG is busy absorbing replacements for crews and planes. Major Pfalzstaff is swamped by paperwork. His phone rings.

"Pfalzstaff ? LeMay here. Some good news for you : I have a replacement pilot for your British attachments. There's a new crew too. Seems their Air Ministry is happy with the way the cross-attachments are working out, and want to carry on the good work. General Arnold agrees, and so do I. I'm sending him over to you now."

The phone clicks off before Major Pfalzstaff can get a word in edgeways. Was he going to get another Flashheart, then ? His teeth ground as he remembered the man, his handlebar moustache, the leopardskin flying helmet, the brandy, the woofing, the women... He'd had to issue an order eventually : "All ladies attending the Saturday evening dances MUST be off the base by 0800 Monday morning". At least another crew would be welcome, if he could find them a plane. Ten minutes later, there is a knock at the door, and his orderly ushers in an RAF officer, slight, dark-haired with a small moustache. He salutes, and the Major indicates a chair.

"Good afternoon, Squadron Leader - ?"

"Blackadder, sir, Edmund Blackadder. I've been assigned to take command of Lord Flashheart's surviving crew. I've brought some replacements with me, to bring it up to strength, and a new crew, fresh from flying Fortress 1's in Coastal Command."

"Blackadder ? So you're the fellow he named the plane after ?"

"Actually, it was named for my uncle, sir. He and Lord Flashheart's father served in the Royal Flying Corps together. He rescued my uncle from captivity and shot the Red Baron."

"Shot him down, you mean."

"No sir, shot him."

"Are you making fun - never mind. Whose your new crew ?"

"Flight Lieutenant Bill Shakespeare and his crew, lately of Coastal Command. They're experienced on Fortress 1's - your B-17C's - but haven't seen a German yet. I'm hoping to bed them in as replacements for Flashheart's crew after they're up to speed on the B-17F."

"Well, they're in luck, then. We have an upcoming mission to Rouen-Sotteville, should be a milkrun for your boys. I'll assign them to the 153rd with you - there's surely enough gaps to fill. You understand, I don't have a squadron leader vacancy..."

"That's quite alright, Major, I'm at your disposal. If you don't mind, I'll go and get my chaps billeted."

As the RAF officer left his office, Major Pfalzstaff felt pleasantly surprised - no ripe language, no ribald comments, and no woofing ! Perhaps this new Brit would work out after all. And his new crew sounded promising. "All's well that ends well, after all", he thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rouen AAR

Mission 47/Crew 22/Bomber 1

B-17 : Blackadder Goes Forth

Crew :-

Pilot Sqn Ldr Blackadder
CoPilot Fg Off Byron
Navigator Plt Off Coleridge
Bombardier Fg Off Wells
Engineer Flt Sgt Topper
Radio Operator Sgt Shelley
Ball Turret Flt Sgt Parkhurst
Waist Gunner Sgt Farrow
Waist Gunner Sgt Hood
Tail Turret Sgt Rum

Fighters claimed : 1 x FW 190, 2 x Me 109.
Bombing results : 60 % on target.
Injuries : Light wounds for Sergeants Farrow and Rum.

Debrief

"Good afternoon sir. I'm pleased to report that we dropped our bombload on target and returned with no serious injuries.
I've spent the last few days getting to know the survivors of Lord Flashheart's crew. I'm pleased to say that Flying Officer Wells had done a sterling job of keeping up their morale, and the chaps were keen to return to operations.

We were in the High squadron today, and received attention from Jerry as soon as we crossed the Channel. A FW 190 and three 109s came in at all angles, enabling all our gunners to put up fierce defensive fire. We were rewarded with three KIAs, one each for Wells, Topper and Rum. The last one hit our starboard wing without noticeable effect, and was forced to break off by Topper as he manouevred to hit us again.

We saw no more of Fritz until we reached Rouen. A single 109 came in on the lower starboard side, but Hood's spraying fire forced him away. Next, three 190s came at us from front and astern. Rum damaged one of those on our tail, but it wasn't enough, and they all hit us, about ten times, giving us multiple hits on our tail and wings, and a scary round into the bomb bay. Cries of "Clucking bell !" echoed around the plane.

Obviously the bombs didn't explode, and we received some further luck in the form of a superficial hit on number four engine, and a self-sealing port wing inboard tank. We did suffer a damaged tailwheel, and hits on the control cables and the tail oxygen. A successive attack from 9 o'clock level inflicted walking hits on the nose, port wing, waist and tail, knocking out Coleridge's heat, hitting the port wing root, and slightly wounding Sergeants Farrow and Rum. Then their fighters disappeared and the flak barrage took over, giving us a rudder hit. It wasn't enough to put us off our bomb run, though, and Wells managed an excellent spread over the target.

We turned for home, and waves of Germans rose from nearby airfields to meet us. Our intermittent fighter cover showed up and peeled off a 190 on our flank, and Parkhurst dammaged a 110 in a vertical climb. Two more 110s attacked from below our bow, but missed and flew off. Squadron defensive fire prevented any other enemy reaching us. We saw one more 109 on our way home, but he couldn't touch us, and after a short trip, we landed safely at Elveden. One more in the bag for Sergeant Parkhurst."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rouen AAR

Mission 47/Crew 1/Bomber 1

B-17 : Love's Labour's Lost
Crew :-

Pilot Flt Lt Shakespeare
CoPilot Fg Off Macbeth
Navigator Fg Off Capulet
Bombardier Fg Off Montague
Engineer Flt Sgt Tyrrel
Radio Operator Sgt Hubert
Ball Turret Sgt Laertes
Waist Gunner Sgt Puck
Waist Gunner Sgt Cornwall
Tail Turret Sgt Dogberry

Fighters claimed : 2 x Me 109.
Bombing results : 40% on target.
Injuries : Light wounds for Sergeants Puck and Cornwall.

Debrief

"Thankyou for your welcome, sir, we're very pleased to be here and to finally have a chance to give Fritz a kicking.

The men were up early this morning - to business that we love we rise betime, and go to 't with delight. As we're quite a novice crew, I was pleased that we would be flying under the protection of Squadron Leader Blackadder and the other crews of the 153rd, and would benefit from their experience. This was borne out halfway to the target, when enemy planes threatening us were driven off by squadron box fire.

We faced no attacks until entering the target zone, when four 109s attacked from front and both sides. Flight Sergeant Tyrrel managed to damage one to our front and it banked away, but one of the flankers managed to hit us, knocking out our radio. He must have thought we were an easy target, for he came back around at 6 o'clock high, whereupon Sergeant Dogberry shredded him and sent him corkscrewing out of sight in flames, followed by Dogberry's yell of 'Down, down to hell ; and say I sent thee hither.' A 110 tried to get us from a vertical climb, but couldn't fly fast enough to catch us. Heavy flak punched through our waist, wounding both gunners, though fortunately not seriously. Despite the flak, Flying Officer Montague managed to drop a very creditable 40% of our bombs on target.

As we turned from our bomb run a single 109 flashed through our formation and hit us once, fortunately without effect. Again, our squadronmates drove off others intent on attacking us. In zone three, a 190 and two 109s made a perfunctory attack, but lost interest when Montague flamed one of them. They were the last Germans we saw, and the rest of our flight was uneventful. The crew were very upbeat about our successful trip, and there was much smiles and laughter. I felt very good about our victory, a victory worth twice itself when the achievers bring home full numbers."

Flight Lieutenant William Shakespeare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR)
Pilot: 1st Lt. R. Razoni
Mission: 47/1
B-17: Seattle's Best
Target: Rouen (Marshalling Yards)
Claims: Tail Gunner J. Hinkle (1) FW 190

Crew Assigned:

Bombardier 2nd Lt Jacques Blum
Navigator 2nd Lt Roger Bartoli
Pilot 1st Lt Robert Razoni
Co-Pilot 2nd Lt James Ransberger
Engineer Msgt Edmund Gonshor
Radio Operator Tsgt Robert Lamkin
Ball Gunner Sgt Leon Moad
Port Waist Gunner Sgt Herman Steiner
Starboard Waist Gunner Sgt Francis Shields
Tail Gunner Sgt Jack Hinkle

Crew Injuries/Casualties: Navigator R. Bartoli (KIA), Radio Operator R. Lamkin (KIA), Pilot, R . Razoni (LW), Engineer E. Gonshor (LW), Port Waist Gunner H. Steiner (LW)

Bomb Drop: On Target - 30%

B-17's Disposition: Port Cheek gun inoperable (frozen), Top Turret Guns inoperable (Frozen), Port Waist guns destroyed, Radio Out, Starboard Elevator inoperable, #3 engine out and oil tank leak.

Mission Description: Mission looked OK at briefing with middle squadron drawn and fighter coverage all the way in and back. Just goes to show what WE know. We were clear all the way out to the target. One by one, the crew started calling in that it was getting damn cold. We'd hit a freak downburst and the nose, port cheek and top turret guns all froze up on us. Perfect timing with Jerry lining up too! (3) 190's from up front and all across the clock. Little friends picked one up and one missed but the last one put a hole into the starboard inboard fuel tank. It was leaking but not enough to keep us from returning to base barring any other disasters. His other shell knocked out the radio.

Flak was heavy and we got it good. (6) shots. One took out the #3 engine, another the port waist gun and another the starboard elevator.

Didn't seem to faze Jacques though. He laid 30% of the load onto the yard.

Base bound, (2) 190's blew through with one starting an oil leak in the already dead #3 fan. Jack in the tail made him pay and knocked him down. Gray parachute seen.

Zone 3 brought the worst action. Jacques managed to get the nose gun working again as a mixture of different fighters came in. The 109 on our six was scared off by the good guys in Spits. The 190 missed wildly, but the 110 came up from underneath and laid into us from nose to tail. Navigator killed, Pilot wounded, Radio Operator killed, Port Waist gunner wounded. He circled around but wasn't as lucky.

We had no reason to land quickly since both Roger and Bob were already gone. The others had light wounds and said we could land in order.

Glad we were on target, since it was costly on our side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To: New crews

Subject: Squadron Assignment

Memo:

Flt Lt Blackadder's crew in "Blackadder Goes Forth" is assigned to the 153rd BS, Code: GB-B

Flt Lt Shakespeare's crew in "Love's Labour's Lost" is assigned to the 152nd BS, Code: BB-G

Major Chase Pfalzstaff
Squadron Operation Officer
Elveden Hall, UK
3rd Bombardment Division HQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fleming
United States
La Salle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
All the same we take our chances, tricked by circumstances.
mbmbmbmbmb
AAR (mission 47)

Pilot: 1st LT. James Bashnagel
B17: Venomous Fate (B17F-20-DL42-3046)
Squadron: 152nd
Mission: 47/4th for this bomber
Target: Rouen, France - rail, marshalling yards
Position P/S: tail/low-low

CREW/STATUS/CLAIMS
Pilot: 1st LT. James Bashnagel/O.K.
Co-piolt: 2nd LT. William Cemei/O.K.
Bombadier: 2nd LT. Everett Kimber/O.K. (1 x ME109)
Navigator: 2nd LT. Dan Lavens/O.K.
Engineer: Msgt. Mike Drabik/O.K. (1 x ME109)
Radio operator: Sgt. Dean Laible/O.K.
Ballgunner: Sgt. Miguel "Mike" Esparza/KIA
Port waist gunner: Sgt. Stephen Kayla/LW
Stbd. waist gunner: Sgt. Arnold Fabela/KIA (1 x ME109)
Tail gunner: Sgt. Leo Davis/SW-IH (1 x ME109)

BOMB DROP: 40%

ENEMY FIGHTERS ENCOUNTERED: 18
CLAIMS: 4 x ME109 destroyed
3 x ME109 damaged
1 x FW190 damaged

B17 STATUS: Stbd. outboard fuel tank leak. Stbd. tailplane 1 root hit. bombadier heat out. Port landing gear inoperable. 1 hit to control cables. 14 superficial damage hits.
194 Peckham points, 76 assessed for landing with inoperable port landing gear.

Crew replacements: TBD

Brief mission description/notes:
Took tail position for mission and finally scored some kills. Flak took out the port landing gear and enemy fighters caused two causulties and a serious wound. My first attempt at Peckham points scoring and came up with 194. Most coming during landing. Would this ship still be flyable or Cat-E? Will wait for response from mechanics/structural engineers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just when I think I've completed the mission successfully,
I always have a hard time remembering to consult table G-10 after a landing with one or both gear out!

1 - 3: Irreparably Damaged
4 - 6: Repairable

Lost a couple of good ships that way....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SSgt. Tom O'Brady was chewing the stubby stogie Major Pfalzstaff, LT. Bashnagel and he walked around the "Venomous Fate", Flying Fortress number B17F-20-DL42-3046.

The Major was shaking his head side-to-side as he looked at the Staff Sergeant saying, "You think you can fix her?"

O'Brady jawed the stogie a few more times and said "t'ink so." Rubbing his chin he continued, "...but these fly boys need to take better care of my birds boss."

Amassed at the abilities of these kids to put together the broken birds in a day or two.

"Thanks serge, we'll get out of your way now" the lieutenant said quickly as he wanted to put that landing behind him and concentrate on other things.

"Thanks Tom" replied the Major, "get her back in shape, we fly in a few days." With that the Major and the lieutenant headed back to the officers club.

"Don't worry James, any landing you walk away from is a good landing." Both men laughed nervously at the though of crashing a B-17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aerogoose wrote:
I always have a hard time remembering to consult table G-10 after a landing with one or both gear out!

Jim that is one the errata sheet #26, and not on the original G-10 table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rose
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasta6 wrote:
aerogoose wrote:

Jim that is one the errata sheet #26, and not on the original G-10 table.

You're right! I was using an updated sheet that was posted on this site in the files!!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission 047 to Target - Rouen, France - Railyards
Date:
28-March-1943

Crew CO: 1st Lt. Bernie Kosar

Plane: The Dawg Pound (B-17F-15-DL 43-7695)

Mission Number: Group 47 (Bomber 1)

Crew:
1st Lt. Bernie Kosar (Pilot)
1st Lt. Michael D. Perry (Co-Pilot)
2nd Lt. Matt Bahr (Bombardier)
2nd Lt. Reggie Langhorne (Navigator)
MSgt. Mike Baab (Engineer)
TSgt. Clay Mathews (Radio Operator)
Sgt. Gerald McNeil (Ball Gunner)
Sgt. Hanford Dixon (Port Waist Gunner)
Sgt. Frank Minnifield (Starboard Waist Gunner)
Sgt. Webster Slaughter (Tail Gunner)

Crew Disposition:
Sgt. Frank Minnifield - KIA
TSgt. Clay Mathews - SW/RR

Bomb Drop: On Target

Bombing Accuracy: 75%

E/A Claims:
2nd Lt. Matt Bahr: 1 x FW-190 Destroyed
2nd Lt. Reggie Langhorne: 1 x Bf-109 Probable; 1 x FW-190 Probable
MSgt. Mike Baab: 1 x FW-190 Destroyed
Sgt. Webster Slaughter: 1 x Bf-109 Damaged; 1 x FW-190 Damaged
Sgt. Hanford Dixon: 1 x FW-190 Probable

B-17s Disposition:
Ground Crew Chief Marty Schottenheimer reports The Dawg Pound suffered only minimal damage: rudder 33% and three points of superficial damage for a total of 28 Peckham Chart damage points.

Mission Description:
152nd BS, 281st BG (V)
28-Mar-1943 Mission to Railyards at Rouen, France
Bomb Load: 12 x 500 lb. GP-43
Mission Length: 6 hours 10 minutes
Group Position: Low-Low Squadron
Squadron Position: Middle
Altitude over Target: 21,750 ft.

March 23, 1943: We arrived in England on a C-47 following what looked to be almost an entire squadron of new B-17s. Not a good sign, and I expect the group of replacement crewmen that flew over with us to be on active duty very shortly. The few B-17s being worked on in their revetments looked like they'd gone through a meat grinder. Just the first sign that maybe this war wasn't going as good as the rah-rah boys back home said it was. After reporting to Major Pfalzstaff, the crew and I were given our bunk assignments and then told to assemble outside of the mess hall for our aircraft assignments. We were given one of the brand-new B-17s that had ferried over with us and we went right to work checking it out with the ground crew. Since the crew and I come from the "mutts" of America we named the plane The Dawg Pound.

March 24, 1943: We flew two practice missions, one in the morning and one in the afternoon to familiarize ourselves with the local landmarks around our base. Some smart-ass Tommy in a Spitfire buzzed us real close in the afternoon, but we held our course. He's lucky we didn't have any ammo onboard or we might've shot him down.

March 27, 1943: Major Pfalzstaff orders a stand-down for all aircrews, meaning a mission is forthcoming and everyone is restricted to the base. They don't want the MPs to have to search every pub within walking distance of the base...

March 28, 1943: I am wakened up at 0345 hours to attend the pilot's mission briefing at 0430. Just enough time for a quick shower and a cup of coffee. The mission board is revealed...we're going to Rouen, France to bomb the railroad marshalling yards. HQ believes that if we can cripple Hitler's transportation network it will make it very difficult for the Germans to move men and materials to their attack points. Flak and fighter opposition over the target are expected to be heavy. The weather is supposed to be good, however.

At 0600 hours we climb into our bombers and fire up the engines. We are assigned to the Low-Low squadron today so we are amongst the last of the planes to take off. During the wait we double-check our weapons and aircraft systems until we finally get the go-ahead to take off.

Zones 2 & 3 Outbound:

After forming up with the group we head southwest over the English Channel. Although every crewmember has their eyes peeled looking for enemy fighters, we don't see any as we cross the Channel.

Zone 4 Outbound (Target):

After we cross the French coast we start hearing enemy bogie sightings on the squadron radio channel. TSgt. Mathews calls out an enemy fighter above us making a vertical dive attack. MSgt. Baab and Mathews open up on the German fighter, but it is coming in too fast and they both miss. The Bf-109 opens up with a quick burst and we can feel a shudder as a shell hits the plane. "Minnifield is hit!" screams Sgt. Dixon over the intercom. The German comes around for another pass at the 10:30 level and 2nd Lt. Langhorne puts a pretty good burst into the small fighter, observing hits in the engine compartment and wings, but the German continues the attack, although he misses badly. Sgt. Slaughter picks up the Bf-109 as it passes the tail and takes a shot at it, putting a couple more slugs into it. The heavily damaged Bf-109 dives away.

"Minnifield's dead, sir," Sgt. Dixon called out over the intercom. "He didn't have a chance."

"Understood, Sgt.," I replied. "He was a good man. Strap the body down in the compartment and be ready to man both guns. We're heading into the target zone."

Three more Bf-109s appeared in front of us. Two RAF Spitfires appeared suddenly behind them and shot up the German at 12:00 high. We fired at the remaining two fighters and missed. So did the Germans, and they broke off the attack. Before we could even ask why, puffs of enemy flak bursts started appearing all around us. It was definitely a heavy barrage, and just as we thought we might get through it without a scratch, four shells slammed into The Dawg Pound. A couple of them passed harmlessly through the nose and the starboard wing, but one hit the rudder squarely on and the last went through the radio room, seriously wounding Sgt. Mathews. Then we were through the worst of it.

"Approaching the target. I'm turning the plane over to you, Bahr," I said over the intercom. 2nd Lt. Bahr acknowledged my command and I let go of the control wheel. I could feel the plane turn slightly as Bahr adjusted the flight path, then the plane shuddered as the bomb bay doors opened. A few seconds later the bombs released and began their journeys of destiny. The bomb bay doors closed and Lt. Bahr returned control of the plane to me.

"Excellent drop, Matt," Sgt. Slaughter called from the tail. "Looks like you got almost all of the eggs on the target. We pulverized that baby!" There were some cheers heard over the intercom.

"All right guys, we've only finished half the job," I reminded them over the intercom. "Let's concentrate on getting back home now."

Zone 4 Inbound:

The skies were suddenly filled with German fighters. As to why they hadn't intercepted us before we made our bomb run, I could only guess that their ground controllers had made a mistake and therefore the fighters were a couple of minutes too late. But they were here now, and were determined to keep us from returning home.

"We got five butcher birds surrounding us!" my co-pilot, 1st Lt. Perry, called out. A couple of Spitfires took out one of them at 9:00. 2nd Lt. Bahr opened up at the FW-190 at 12:00 high and hit it square in the nose, blowing the engine completely away from the airframe. Sgt. Slaughter scratched the FW-190 on our tail, but it continued the attack with the two remaining fighters. The Germans must've been spooked, however, as they all missed and broke away.

"Here comes some more!" someone called out. The attack formation was the same as the last one, but this time the RAF was busy elsewhere, and all five FW-190s started their attack runs. 2nd Lt. Langhorne heavily damaged the FW-190 at 10:30 level and Sgt. Dixon smacked the one at 9:00 level, but the Germans kept coming. Only the FW-190 at 12:00 high managed to hit us, and the shell passed through the waist section without causing any damage. The FW-190 came around for a second pass, and MSgt. Baab hit it with the top turret guns and shredded it into pieces. The rest of the Germans turned away.

A third wave of German fighters appeared as three Bf-109s rose up in front of us. With no RAF opposition around, the Germans bore in on us. We fired at them to no effect, but the Germans missed as well and turned home for France. We then passed over the German flak ring, but the guns were silent this time and we thankfully flew past them.

Zone 3 Inbound:

Two FW-190s appeared in front of us at 12:00 level and 1:30 low, but this time the RAF was waiting for them amd blew them both out of the sky. We passed the coast line and over the Channel without further incident.

Zone 2 Inbound:

Ten minutes after the last RAF Spitfire turned away, three FW-190s came at us from 12:00 and 3:00. We fired at them but missed. So did the Germans, and they turned around and headed back home. I guess they were low on ammo and gas and decided not to press the attack - this time.

Zone 1 Inbound:

We landed at our home base without incident and helped the ambulance crew load TSgt. Mathews into the back of the truck. Sgt. Minnifield's body was loaded into another truck and driven away. I stood still for a few minutes and thought about how many more crewmembers and friends I would lose in this war, and then I went to Major Pfalzstaff's office to make my post-mission report.

Just as I had sat down with the rest of the crew for dinner, a runner from the base hospital appeared and handed me a message. As I read it, a smile appeared on my face.

"Well, guys, it looks like Sgt. Mathews made it through minor surgery and will be back with us in a day or two - he must be tougher than we thought!" The crew cheered for a few moments and went back to their meal, reminding themselves that while Sgt. Mathews would be back, Sgt. Minnifield would not, and the war had a long way to go.

I spoke to MSgt. Schottenheimer, our ground chief, later in the evening and he assured me The Dawg Pound would be quickly repaired in time for the next mission. "Piece of cake," he said as he handed me the full damage report. "She'll be ready tomorrow morning."

We made it through our first mission but not without paying for it in blood. I wonder if there is enough blood for us to make it through the war...

Respectfully,

1st Lt. Bernie Kosar
152nd BS, 281st BG (V)
B-17F-15-DL 43-7695 (The Dawg Pound)

Game Notes: I usually get chewed up on these short missions but not this time. I decided to roll for flak on the way out of the target zone and rolled a "1", so there was no flak. And I rolled a "2" for the bombing accuracy, getting the excellent 75% result, one of the few times that roll has benefited me rather than hurt me. A pretty good "first" mission for my new plane and crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With dread, the 281st watches the “Black Betty,” flying in the lead position, leave the formation with five Butcher Birds and a lone Me109 hot on her tail... “God be with them” went through most everyone’s mind as they watched this unfold...

(more to come…)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR) #47/2

Pilot: Capt. George Venekoudis
B17F: Macedonia
Sqdn.: 151st
Target: Rouen, France - rail, marshalling yards
Position: Low

Crew Status

Pilot: Capt. George Venekoudis
Copilot: 2nd Lt. Anastasios Kotsoglou
Bombardier: 2nd Lt. Ioannis Sikoglou
Navigator: 2nd Lt. Chris Poulakis, 1xMe109
Engineer: Sgt. Christos Marinos
Radio Operator: Msgt. Xenophon Polemis
Ball Gunner: Sgt. Nikiforos Kitsaridis
Port Waist: Sgt. Tasos Leotsakos
Starboard Waist: Sgt. Alexander Alatas
Tail Gunner: Sgt. Apollo Kitsakis, 1xMe110

Bomb Drop : 40%

Fighters Encountered: 6
Claims: damaged 1xMe109, kills: 2

B-17's Disposition: Landed safely

Superficial Damages: 5
Peckham Points:25

Mission Description:

Coming to 281st BG was a bit disturbing due to the high losses. Lucky me this first mission was an excellent oppurtunity to get to know the crew better. They are all good kids and tough warriors. The flight run smoothly, a few enemy fighters appear but our little friends took care of them, my tail gunner and the nav guy shot each one down, the flak missed us, the bombardier hit the target hard as if it was a target practice and the return was nice too. Overall a very good mission, i hope the next ones to be such us this one. Nice to be here.

Respectfully,

Capt. George Venekoudis
Pilot of B17F "Macedonia"
151st Squadron, 281st Bomb Group (V)

Game notes:
NIL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott S.
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
After Action Report (AAR) #47
Date: 28th of March 1943

Pilot: 1st Lieut. Scott Stevens
B17: The GreenLion (Not sure of serial number)
Sqdn.: 151st of the 281st BG
Mission : 1st/Bomber 1
Target: Rouen – Railroad Marshalling Yards
Position: Low (Modifier -1)

Crew Status:
Pilot: 1st Lieut. Scott Stevens
Copilot: 2nd Lieut. Jerry Witter
Bombardier: 2nd Lieut. Randy Romaker (1 X FW190 Damaged)
Navigator: 2nd Lieut. Marty Schylar (1 X FW190 Damaged)
Engineer: MSgt. Mike Troy (1 X ME110 Destroyed)
Radio Operator: TSgt. Andy Weights/ Very LW
Ball Gunner: Sgt. Bob Caitlin
Port Waist: Sgt. Cory Colby (SW-Rapid Recovery; Fit for Duty)
Starboard Waist: Sgt. Russ Johnston
Tail Gunner: Sgt. Rex Williams (1 X ME110 Damaged)
Note: Not sure how to determine rank. Used Composite Mission Record. For the Pilot, I looked to other 1st mission AAR’s

Crew Disposition: .
Sgt. Cory Colby - SW/RR
Sgt. Andy Weights - LW

Bomb Drop: Off Target - 0%
Fighters Encountered: 1st Wave #51; 2nd Wave # 13; 3rd Wave #53)
Fighters Driven off: FW190 @ 3 high (2nd Wave); ME110 @ 10:30 Level (3rd Wave)
Enemy Claimed Shot down: ME110 @ 6 Low damaged (Break off Modifier -2) by Rex Williams & shot down @ 9 Level by Mike Troy.

B-17s disposition: Couple pin holes in the Starboard Waist side, Superficial damage to the Starboard Wing.

Mission Description:
We took off and formed up before proceeding to the target. This can be tricky at times due to prevailing weather conditions. Sometimes the weather itself can be just as dangerous as the enemy. But today forming up was pretty easy. "Everything running smooth Captain," said Jerry Witter, my Copilot.

"There's the English coastline boys. Lets test our guns." Titititititit... I heard as each gun fired. Good, I thought. Everything checks out. The next hour or so out across the English channel was pretty quiet. Just the usual chattering of the crew.
"Ok men, lets stop fooling around. We're getting close to enemy territory here, so keep your eyes peeled for enemy fighters."
"We're just passing 'Cherbourg' on our right sir."
“Roger that Marty."

"Fighters at 11 level," yelled nose gunner Randy Romaker. "Looks like butchers (FW190's), and 109's," There wasn't too many, but one FW190 eluded our escort and began a dive on us at 10:30 high. Port waist gunner, Sgt. Cory Colby opens fire too early and misses badly. "Hold your fire till there within range," I said. "Your wasting your ammunition."
"Sorry Captain"
"I think I got him," yelled Top Turret Gunner Mike Troy. "Naa he's just smoking real bad. He's breaking off for another pass. He can't continue long though."
"Damn good gunnery from that waist gunner on 'Mainer Miss'," Starboard gunner Russ Johnston said. "He plucked that 109 right out of the picture."
"That smoker coming in at 12 high," yelled nose gunner Randy Romaker. "Watch it cockpit. He's coming right at ya!"
“Quick Jerry duck. He‘s firing."
“It’s ok, it’s ok. He missed.
Jerry and I were relieved. "Your guns must have spooked him," I said.
"Probably too damaged to fire straight I reckon."
"Yea Mike you're probably right. Good to have you guys with us." Jerry and I looked around for more fighters but didn't see any.
"Looks like they all have left," reported Tail Gunner Rex Williams.
"Yea it looks that way," Jerry said.
"Any damage? Crew check your stations."
"Bombardier ok"
"Navigator ok"
"Radio Operator aok"
And so down the line...everything was ok. But some crews I'm sure were not so lucky. And we may not be so lucky the next time those Jerry’s show up.

The next several minutes heading inland seemed to take forever. "That's 'Caen' on our left sir."
"Thanks Marty." I was glad that our navigator was on top of things, but his reports seemed to slow the passing of time. It was like looking at your wrist watch every 5 min.

"Fighters @ 12'oclock! Looks like butchers (FW190's), and Messerschmitt (BF109's). And in greater numbers too." Three butchers branched off towards us. One at 12 high; 1:30 high, and 3 high. Although fritz at three high didn't even get near us. His clock got cleaned by a spitfire. "Thank God for those escorts," Mike said. The other two fritz pressed right on at us.
"Watch it cockpit! That one at 12 high head'n straight for ya."
"I see 'em Randy. Get that bloodsucker!"
"We got another at 1:30 high," yells Starboard Waist gunner Sgt. Johnston.
"Stop yelling over the intercom! I can hear ya loud and clear."
“Sorry Captain."
“Fighter at 12 high is breaking off. I got a piece of ‘em," said Nose Gunner Randy Romaker.
"Is that a confirmed kill?"
"Naa, afraid not Captain. He’s setting up for another pass."
“Fighter at 1:30 high. He’s firing!"
Titititititit...
“Ahhhhhh!!"
“Captain! Cory’s been hit."
"Bombardier get back there and take a look at Cory."
"We're minutes away from the bomb run Captain"
"Alright, Russ take care of 'em."
"That smokers com'n in for another pass at 10:30 level."
"I see em' Randy. He's firing!"
"He overshot us," said Marty.
"Don't get too cocky. That other fritz is com'n at us again at 12 level."
"I got em' in my sights Lieut."
Tititititititit...
"Damn I missed. Where‘s he at now?"
“He’s in a struggle with one of our escorts."
“Looks like the others are bugging out and going home," said Tail Gunner Sgt. Williams.
"Yea it looks that way," said Ball Turret gunner Bob Caitlin."Damn bastards!"

"How's Cory doing Russ?"
"He alright Captain. Pretty serious hit to the leg though. I patched him as best I could.
"Is he comfortable?"
"As can be sir. I have his flak jacket on him. I'll be taking over his gun from here on out."
"Any Damage?"
"Na just some pin holes back here in the waist. I saw some good shots from 'Love's Labour's Lost'. Nice kill by their Tail gunner. He sent a 109 corkscrewing out of the sky. Pretty nifty sight if you ask me."

"Captain we're at the initial point."
"Roger that Marty. Turning on the autopilot. Bombardier she's yours from here till target."
"Roger!"
Soon big silent puffs of black smoke engulfed our group. They looked harmless enough, but I knew better.
"Flak! And deadly accurate," said Marty our Navigator. "Heavy just like they said it would be."
"Try to hold her steady Randy."
"I'm trying Captain. But this flak shoving her all over the place."
"Damn!"
"What's wrong Andy?"
"I just took some shrapnel. I'll be ok though. It's nothing serious."
"Any damage?"
"No Captain. Everything’s fine back here."
"Two min till drop point."
Just then a jolt nearly caused me to hit my head.
"Did we just get hit?"
"I don't know," said Jerry. "Everything checks out here."
“Crew any damage?"
“Everything’s fine back here Captain," reported each of the crew.
"We must have taken a superficial hit. Bombardier give me a report."
"Visibility good. Just about there. That's it. Bombs away!"
The whistling sound of the bombs was a relief. No more bombs means no more chance of premature detonation and less stress on the plane of course.
"Did we hit the target Rex?"
"No sir. Are bombs completely missed."
"Sorry Captain. I just couldn't keep her steady in all that flak."
“Alright. We can’t do anything about it now. Lets just focus on getting home."
“Navigator to pilot. Turn to heading 030."
“Roger that."

The next few moments were spent going over a few observations of the crew."How's Cory hold'n up?"
"He'll tell ya himself sir"
"Thumbs up Captain. I'm doing ok."
"It's good to hear from ya Cory. You hang in there now. Were going home."
"Will do Captain."
Did anyone see any bombers in our group go down back there," Jerry asked.
"No sir. But 'Seattle's Best' lost there number three engine. That happened before the bomb run. How they managed to stay in formation with a full bomb load will make for good discussion tonight."
"Saw some good shots from ‘Venomous Fate‘", said Ball Gunner Bob Caitlin. "Not sure who got them kills though."

"Hey guys lets liven it up back there. Fighters at 11:00."
"I see 'em Randy. Looks like two 110's breaking off in our direction," said Top Turret gunner Mike Troy.
"Watch it! Said Andy."Fighter diving right down on us straight up."
"Where the hell did he come from?"
"It's no matter Mike. He didn't even fire."
"I think it's a double play. He com'n up on our six fast and firing. Don't worry I got this son of bitch!"
"Watch it Ball Turret, fighter com'n right at ya 12 low."
"I see em' Randy!"
"Hey Rex did ya get that fighter at six"
"Na Mike, but I hit em' He broke off to our port side. Should be nearing your 9'oclock position about now."
"Oh I see em'"
"That guy had red eyes!"
"What's that Ball Turret?"
"That fighter at 12 low missed us Captain, but not by much."
"Ok, but keep the commentary to a minimum. Fighters position and Hit or miss will do just fine."
"Sorry Captain. He's breaking off from the fight."
"Fighter breaking in 9'oclock!"
"Come on you son of a..." Bam!
"I got em' I got em’! He's going straight down to hell."
"Good shot Mike! You saved us on that one."
"Thanks Captain."
“Looks like the rest of them are bugg’n out and go’n home."

The rest of the flight back to England was uneventful. We ran into a few fighters along the way, but they stayed away from our group. I think the only suspense to be had was during the landing phase. Sometimes you find out that your landing gear won't go down, and you have to crank it. Other things could go wrong due to other types of damage, but for us it was a real smooth landing. We found out that we sustained superficial damage to the starboard wing. That's what the jolt was from during the bomb run. But other then a few pin holes in the waist compartment, we got back without a scratch. Our Port Waist gunner Cory Colby recovered very quickly. Thank God for that. I'm sure the pretty nurses had something to do with that. I'll be glad to have him back on our next mission.

Note: A bit nervous submitting my first AAR. Be kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.