Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on both points, but I'll let more eloquent people than me explain why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Celms
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yep, that's how I was taught it at the recent expo.

Given the response above this could be interesting. You'd think they would know the rules if they're promoting the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - A player has 3 available actions, and can choose from: Move, Scout, Port (Rulebook pg. 7)

You are correct that each player begins in a Port at the start of the game (Rulebook pg.5, middle column, step #2)

Therefore, one may take a Port action as the first action of the game. A Port action allows for any number of the following specific activities: Sell Goods (must be 1st activity, and only once), Buy Goods, Visit Shipyard, Recruit, Acquire a Rumor, Claim a Mission, Stash Gold (home-port only).

So a Port action can be taken if you're currently in a Port. It includes any number of the items listed above with two exceptions: you can only Sell Goods if it's your very first Port action, and you can only Stash Gold if you're in your home-port.

Now on to your comments/questions.

If you choose to move from a Sea area to a Port, you're actually using up one of your Move actions. At the end of that action you're now in a port, and qualify to take an entirely separate Port action; the caveat being that you still have an Action available to "spend."

Therefore, "…going into Port and doing all the Port activities…" is actually 2 complete Actions. The first is your Move (into Port). The second is your Port actions, whatever they may be.

As for your second question, I'm going to cheat and say…it's getting late and I have to get to bed! Busy day tomorrow.

If it's unanswered tomorrow, let me know. I'll gladly clarify.

Thanks and enjoy,
Best,
A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're wrong on both points, but I'll let more eloquent people than me explain why.

I'm very sure you're right on both points. And that your wife cheated. In the game. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Testing to see if it lets me respond now

Edit: Ok its letting me post again, earlier it was telling me I couldn't

1. Port actions and moves are seperate so you can move into or out of port for an action. the port action would be a separate action

2. You did it right. This is for clarification

- If you declare "Shoot" and win the seamanship contest all of your cannons fire

- If you declare "Shoot" and lose the seamanship contest then you can fire as many cannons as you had successes (not to exceed the numbers of cannons you have). This occurs even if your opponent chose "Board"

- If you chose "Board" or "Flee" and you lose the seamanship roll then none of your guns may fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ironJames wrote:
Vollick1979 wrote:

I'm very sure you're right on both points. And that your wife cheated. In the game. whistle

The easiest way to learn a game is to figure out how you're playing it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
TankBoy wrote:
Played for about 6 and half hours, including reading the rule book from cover to cover.

Please tell me that you played 3 or 4 games in a row, and not a single 6-1/2 hour game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
regarding your second question about combat, you were exactly right. Of course, before you roll for your Seamanship at the beginning of a combat round, you choose whether you want to fire, board, or flee. Your example shows that both you and the NPC chose the Fire option. everything you did was correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TankBoy wrote:
Nope. That was just one game, and we didn't even finish itmodest Probly cause she was cheating. Can't wait to set it up again this weekend. Thanks to everyone for confirming my now correct way of playing.

Ouch, thats a long time. Well the good news is it gets alot faster as you learn what you can do and we often even overlap our turn when its clear there won't be any effect for the person after you because your too far apart. My wife and I typically play in an hour now (I set up before hand so I'm artificially lowering a bit by doing that, but not by that much)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Drizzt
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did I miss something here? U seem to have it down after your new understanding. Chicks will always cheat and make it seem like they're so innocent. And the first time we played it took 7 hrs as well of course there was a LOT of arguing with one individual in particular. He almost ruined the exp before it even started cuz he wasn't listening to the rules when we went over them. Don't fear though cuz the next time we played(without him btw) it was about 2.5-3 hrs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.