Subject: Question about Explorations Cards (clues) setup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wojtek Kamusella
Poland
Kedzierzyn-Kozle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do scenario specify where excatly clue cards (A,B,C) should be placed? Is it the same room everytime, or this can vary?

Do keeper place all of them on the board, and what happens if players find clue 2x before clue 1x? x mean A, B, or C – depends on keeper’s choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sikele
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the keepers guide, there is a section for each scenario. After making his/her choices, the keeper looks at a chart on the page taht says a bunch of stuff along the lines of;

Kitchen: Lock card, Nothing of interest

Arboretum: Obstacle card, Item card, Clue 3B, Silver Key

Not direct quotations, obviously, but that's how it's done! =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Thurston
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The keeper is asked a number of questions during his/her setup. The answer to question 1 dictates the plot and objective of the game, the answers to the rest of the questions dictate where the various clues are, specifically so that they are not in the same place all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkwolven wrote:
In the keepers guide, there is a section for each scenario. After making his/her choices, the keeper looks at a chart on the page taht says a bunch of stuff along the lines of;

Does anyone who played on the preview weekend know if the Keeper Guide tells you in which order to stack the cards? I sure HOPE so!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Darkwolven wrote:

Does anyone who played on the preview weekend know if the Keeper Guide tells you in which order to stack the cards? I sure HOPE so!...

It does, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Sikele
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Titeman wrote:
Darkwolven wrote:

In my example up there, the stack for the "arboretum", from top to bottom, would be the order that the cards are listed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Kamusella
Poland
Kedzierzyn-Kozle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkwolven wrote:
In the keepers guide, there is a section for each scenario. After making his/her choices

What choices excatly?

Darkwolven wrote:

This choice depends on what objective was chosen (A, B or C) or it is the same in every play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 5 house layouts. This determines the location of each tile/room in the house.

Each of the 5 'scenarios' then has 3-4 questions for the Keeper.

The FIRST question determines which main 'plot' is happening in the house. There are 3 plots per house layout, which means there are really 15 stories in the box as it ships.

For example (making these up), the layouts might be of an outdoor area between two houses and the questions are:

1) "What is the goal of the mad scientist who owns this house?"
A - Study a Mi-Go
B - Experiment on the investigators in order to make a super being.
C - Burn down both houses.

So that is the main plotline and will determine where the 'final showdown' is and what the actual objective is.

Then there are 2-3 other intermediate questions like:
2) Where is the safe that is opened by the crystal key?
A: The Master Bedroom
B: The HVAC room

3) Aunt Mary's hobby was:
A: Knitting
B: Gardening

Each of THOSE questions will then form the path that the investigators will have to follow. In the example above they might get an initial hint along the lines of:
"You rememember that Aunt Mary liked to knit." which would mean you go to the first house with the 'SEWING ROOM'
-or-
"You have fond memories of Aunt Mary's prize Rutabegas." which would mean you need to go to the GARDEN SHED out behind the second house.

Each middle question is independant, but together will formulate the path the investigators need to follow. In this horribly contrived example, the Crystal Key will be in the location associated with Aunt Mary's hobby, and the safe it opens will be in either the HVAC ROOM or in the MASTER BEDROOM. Going to either of the second locations first won't save any time (indeed it will only waste it) because you need physical possession of the crystal key to open the safe. You'd then find the revelation of the evil plot in the safe and then have to go handle business.

If you are the investigators and have been in this house layout before, then you (the players) would know that the first clue is going to take you to either the GARDEN SHED or the SEWING ROOM, and won't know anything about the final objective based on that knowledge. You could send people ahead to the HVAC ROOM and the MASTER BEDROOM knowing the second room pair (again, as the players), but it will split the party and mean the Keeper can spend threat to harass you or get you stuck or otherwise keep you separated so when the final objective is revealed you aren't able to be helpful. Plus, there will inevitably be a 'LOCK' of some sort in the HVAC/BEDROOM location what requires the key, which you won't have until you retreive it from the GARDEN SHED/BEDROOM.

All of this 'Scooby Doo running around through doors' is just to give a forward path for the investigators to follow while the Keeper is doing two simultaneous things:
1) Wearing down the party before the final encounter
2) Preparing for the actual endgame scenario which isn't revealed until you have gotten the last clue.

If the Keeper is trying to study a Mi-Go then their objective may be 'Summon a Mi-Go in the Summoning Circle and then move it to the Laboratory, which then spends 3 time there in order to win.

If the Keeper is trying to burn down both houses, then they will be spreading fires with half-crazed axe wielding arsonists.

If the Keeper is trying to expriment on the investigators, maybe cultists are stealing samples and taking them to the Summoning Circle.

BUT...
The Keeper may set fires that set the investigators back even if the goal isn't to burn the two houses
The Keeper may summon a Mi-Go even if the goal isn't to study it
The Keeper may have cultists take samples even if that's not the goal so that the investigators chase them the wrong direction.

So the investigators are kept in the dark about their real goal, working together to find out the real victory condition as quickly as possible while trying to fend off being broken mentally and physically so they have enough strength before the final battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojtek Kamusella
Poland
Kedzierzyn-Kozle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
surpriseshakesurprise

Thanks for explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Petticrew
msg tools
Im a bit confused with what clue cards to pick, using your example, lets pretend i chose objective A: Study a Mi-Go, and chose "HVAC room" (option B) for question 2 and "gardening" (option B) for question 3. When im placing the clues on the board, do i take all the A clues, as in 1a 2a 3a 4a 5a 6a because i chose the A objective, or do i take the clues based on the questions i chose? so 1a (objective question) and 2b 3b because i chose those answers to those questions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG!

Smeagol0072 wrote:
Im a bit confused with what clue cards to pick, using your example, lets pretend i chose objective A: Study a Mi-Go, and chose "HVAC room" (option B) for question 2 and "gardening" (option B) for question 3. When im placing the clues on the board, do i take all the A clues, as in 1a 2a 3a 4a 5a 6a because i chose the A objective, or do i take the clues based on the questions i chose? so 1a (objective question) and 2b 3b because i chose those answers to those questions?

You choose the Clue based on that numbered question, so 1A 2B 3B. If you read Clue 3, and look at where the Keeper Guide tells you to put Clue 2, you should see how they match up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.