Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing some game entries and noticed this new feature called "Experimental Section - Relationships" but I'm not sure what it does.

Anyone know what it's for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Yeah, sorry. We're still hammering this out in another post:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the same thing for number of players.

Is this game good for:

7 or More

and then show the percentage of people who voted for each category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Yeah I will do that one as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Aldie, this is a great new feature, especially since linking A to B automatically links B to A. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
habermanm wrote:
I'd like to see the same thing for number of players.

Is this game good for:

7 or More

and then show the percentage of people who voted for each category.

On thinking about this a little more, do we need a "This game is not good for?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe perhaps the sign of ultimate geekness occurs when some one asks: "Relationships - what's that?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Yeah, that would be excellent. What would be great would be for there to be a seperate comments section attached to this data so that people can comment/argue about what works well with the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
echoota wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Yeah, that would be excellent. What would be great would be for there to be a seperate comments section attached to this data so that people can comment/argue about what works well with the number of players.

Especially for where people will argue that a 2 player varient is good... ie. Puerto Rico. That is not officially listed as 2 players but it is frequently mentioned in "What is a good 2 player game?" list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it's either good for a number of players or not, no need to do both. Either way sounds good to me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haberman
United States
Painesville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I think listing the numbers games work for would require less clicks then listing the numbers they don't work for.

Just make sure when you do the percentages to show
[Total number of people who clicked #]/[Total number of people who clicked any box]

That way you can get the percentages of people who voted.

Another idea is to have two radio buttons

Good
Bad

and leave them unchecked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Optimal Number of players
It seems to me that if you are able to vote for the ONE selection (from the range given by the publisher) that you feel is the optimal number of players for that game, that the compiled votes will make clear both the number of players that is "good" for the game and the number of players that's "bad". The cream will rise to the top...

The problem is, this way of doing it will not really allow you say that a game is equally good with 2, 3 or 4 players, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of players/optimal number of playes
DenverWolf wrote:
It seems to me that if you are able to vote for the ONE selection (from the range given by the publisher) that you feel is the optimal number of players for that game, that the compiled votes will make clear both the number of players that is "good" for the game and the number of players that's "bad". The cream will rise to the top...

It also might be simpler for rating (use a radio button list, with ? as the default). Then it can be displayed as mode (mean), such as 3 (3.25), with a popup showing the number of votes for each.

Whether optimal number of players or a range of players is used, I'd like to see a wider range. Start at one, so solitare games (or games suitable for solitare) can be marked--this would be especially useful information for wargames. And I'd finish at 9+, to give ten choices and distinguish games like Werewolf from games like Diplomacy (best with 7).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points! Yes I agree: I think mode is probably better than a mean for this selection and also I think a full range for each game is better than the publisher's range since the whole idea is to
1) identify the optimal player number (in the real world based on play-testing), but also
2) to identify where the publisher's range is really not true (Attika is good example of that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

And what happens when all of us ubergeek, elitist game snobs rank Monopoly as not good for 2, 3, 4, etc. ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Because, as we know, publishers routinely lie (or stretch the truth, if you prefer) about how many people the game supports. I'm a firm believer that "2-X" players really almost always means "3-X" players. It would be nice to identify those games.

It certainly depends. While War of the Ring, for exampl,e works with 3-4, its really a 2 player game.

Goa, imo, is best as a 2 player, and has issues with more (money track worthless, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoughts ont he current implimentation
I've been playing around with this relationship thing for a few minutes and came across something rather annoying. When you set up a relationship you have to go through the process of looking up the game IDs and what not and then when all that is finished you then have to go back and say that you accept this as a valid relationship. I'm assuming that if you set up the relationship in the first place that you will end up agreeing that the relationship is true. Is there a way that this can be simplified so that if you set up the relationship you automatically agree to it or are at least allowed to accept or reject the relationship during the process of setting it up? I just tried this out on about 3 games and ended up giving up continuing since the process was very cumbersome. The process needs to be streamlined quite a bit to make it really useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Gunter
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Perhaps rather than "this game is good for" or "this game is not good for", do both. Give a fair list of number of players and give the options "good for," "not good for," and "no opinion," like is currently used for the relationships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.