uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This period in WWII has always interested me, because it shows the transition to the highly mobile attack mind set of the Blitzkrieg. In this game we will explore many of the misconceptions of this campaign, along with many of the mis-steps taken by the Germans, French, English and others. I really look forward to the development as it progresses.

Working with Pavlos in the past has been very educational and entertaining. His knowledge and perspective of history, along with his family background will give a unique and fresh view of the conflict.

Please let us know of any specific battles that you would like us to cover or ideas that you may have.

Thanks,
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps May 13, 1940, when Rommel attempted to cross the Meuse between Houx and Dinant using elements of the 7th Panzer Division?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Apel
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, "Fall Gelb" - what a nice announcement; me looking forward to play thumbsup

I think a firefight about the Battle of Sedan / Crossing the Maas would be interessting - establishing a bridgehead, french counterattack or whatever. I always hope to see more water/rivers/bridges-stuff in "First men in", "Crete" or this one And Battle of Arras on May 21st would be a good setting i guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how well it would translate game mechanic wise, but incorporating the breakneck speed that occured while events unfolded would add a level of anxiety and apprehension felt by both sides early in the war. Keeping the game fun might while doing this may be the trick of course. Luckily for us gamers, you and your staff are geniuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Uwe,

Let me thinking just a little and I'll give You my desiderata.

Here I am: Eben-Emael, 7th PzDiv at Meuse River (Sedan), Stonne, Case Red, Operation Tiger, Operation Bear, Operation Niwi.
None of the italian sector ... blush

Thanks, I hope to work with You again, for what I can.

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe-

Thanks for doing this. I would like to see a good treatment of those battles where the French fought well and hard: Gembloux, Stonne, Hannut, to name the best known, and also the battle for which they receive the least credit but deserve quite a lot: Dunkirk.

And I love the Char B1 bis. Please add one to every scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to see scenarios for Gembloux, Stonne, Hannut and Dunkirk as well, but also some from the later part of the campaign (Fall Rot).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavlos Germidis
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey Men !

Here is a temporary list of firefights for the game.
- The Firefights with letters will probably be available online.
- Some firefights still probably won't make it into the final mix in the box, and so will join the online list...
- You will notice that there are 2(box)+2(online) scenarios for each country at the very minimum. Dutch and Belgian players beware

Prelude:

Firefight #1: Saar Offensive, Franco-German Border.
Title: The wash won’t dry on the Siegfried Line
Date: 9th of September 1939

Fall Gelb (1st part of the campaign)

Firefight #2: Eben Emael Fort, Belgian-Dutch Border
Title: The eagle has landed
Date: 10th of may 1940

Firefight #3: Ypenburg Air Force Base, Holland
Title: Into the hornet’s nest
Date: 10th of may 1940 (possible second day?)

Firefight #A: Venlo, Maas (Meuse) river, Holland
Title: Crossing the Styx

Firefight #B: Nives, South Belgium
Title: Operation Niwi

Firefight #C: The Noordereiland Bridges, Rotterdam, Holland
Title: Rotterdam under siege
date: 10th of may 1940

firefight #4: Bodange, Ardennes Forest, Belgium
Title: Courage alone

Firefight #5: Grebbeberg, Holland
Title: Devil’s mountain
Date: 13th of may 1940

Firefight #6: Hannut/Orp, Belgium
Title: Clash of steel

Firefight #D: Sedan/ Donchery
Title: Throw them across the Meuse

Firefight #7: Houx/ Haut-le-Wastia, Belgium
Title: Cordon of fire
Date: 14th of may 1940

Firefight #8: Gembloux/ Perbais, Belgium
Title: Stemming the Tide
Date: 15th of may 1940

Firefight #9: Flavion, Belgium
Title: Against all Odds
Date: 15th of may 1940

Firefight #10: Stonne
Title: The second Verdun
Date: 16th of may 1940 (17th optional)

Firefight #11: Montcornet
Title: De Gaulle counter attacks !
date: 17th of may 1940

Firefight #12: Arras
Title: Desperate counter-stroke
Date: 21st of may 1940

Firefight #13: Calais
Title: A bitter stand
Date: 24th of may 1940

Firefight #14: Lys Canal
Title: The last stop-line
Date: 26th of may 1940

Firefight #15: Abbeville
Title: The cavalry is here !
Date: 27th and 28th (?) of may 1940

Firefight #16: Dunkirk
Title: Fight back to the West
Date: 30th and 31st(?) of may 1940

Fall Rot (second part of the campaign)

Firefight #17: Amiens
Title: Assault on the Weygand Line
Date: 5th of june 1940

Firefight #E: Aisne River/ Rethel
Title: The Buisson Group to the rescue
Date: 10th of june 1940

Firefight #18: Louviers
Title: Another river, another hope
Date: 11th of june 1940

Firefight #F: Maginot Line, Alsace
Title: A tiger on the Maginot Line
Date: 14th of june 1940

Firefight #19: Saumur
Title: The honor of the vanquished
Date: 20th of june 1940
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
outstanding - Simply outstanding!

When does it ship?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian,
You make me laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pavlos, well done. You have more listed than I could have anticipated though I have come to expect nothing less from Academy Games. 10+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Drake
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! I have my credit card out right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still eagerly awaiting Guadalcanal and the Airborne version. Uwe you're killing me. Now I'm looking forward to your 2012 releases.

Bart

brian asklev aursen wrote:
outstanding - Simply outstanding!

When does it ship?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
This one went to the top of the list for wants for me. Early war is so much more interesting than mid/late war for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent news! This is just fantastic!

The battle for Stonne might need far more than one scenario!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christos Mallis
Greece
thessaloniki
Evosmos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I m excited about how these Firefights come to the board.I can t wait.Keep going the good job

P.s.Please don t forget the isle of doom(Crete 1941)whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai von der Aa
Germany
Nuremberg
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrmallis wrote:
P.s.Please don t forget the isle of doom(Crete 1941):whistle:

I've heard they have started working on it. I'm very sure in the next months some more information will be available, but I also sure it won't be released before 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh WOW...

Again, I'm super excited about this game! If you guys need ANY help, please let me know.

BTW my next game project in my "No Retreat!" series is about the 1940 Campaign in France. I've been working on this since Dec 2009 and it should be out later this year.

Of course the scale is not at all the same (Armies/Corps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Crete
Crete is also in the works.
As Kai so well knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ellis
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is really good news, an excellent choice of subject for CoH and one that I look forwards to, even though I expect it will be quite a while before it gets published, given that there are several other titles 'In The Works'.

I have the 3 exsisting games and will continue to buy new titles as they become available in the UK. Although I do play them quite a lot as solo games, I also have a couple of long-time wargames buddies who have also taken to the series, so we do get quite a few HtH games in as well.

However, there are one-or-two aspects of the system which have caused some debate between us, and I thought that maybe it was time to post them here to get other views and, hopefully, those of Uwe.

The first one is pretty simple, and that is that we feel the game would benefit from having wreck counters for vehicles which could maybe provide a cover bonus for infantry in the same way that 'live' vehicles do, and perhaps also act as an obsticle to movement. The possible addition of a smoke marker when a vehicle is destroyed is something that I have mentioned to Uwe in the past, and he thought it may be an idea that could be worth exploring further..

The second point is one that we definitely feel uncomfortable with and that concerns the blue armour value of crewed weapons. Although we understand the reasoning behind this, it does seem to ignore the fact that crew would be vulnerable to HE fire, and that it would be more realistic to expect a tank gunner to fire HE at such a target rather than AP in order to disable the crew rather than the weapon, although of course this does not precude AP being used to knock out the weapon.

Even small-arms fire could result in the crew being supressed or disabled, since at best, the shield would not protect all the crew and would provide only a limited amount of cover.

Perhaps a better way would have been to have a seperate crew counter that would maybe have a slightly higher red defence value and leave the blue value for the weapon itself, much like infantry being protected by APC's.

Despite how much we like this excellent system, we do feel that the above is a genuine flaw that could be represented in a more realistic way,

Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christos Mallis
Greece
thessaloniki
Evosmos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that for all the changes you mention above, the rules would increase in a not so playable way.
These updates you mention bring a much bigger(i can imagine how much bigger) rulebook.
Νο game can represent the reality itself.And it dont have to.There are many games outthere that they trying to do that and the rules are a headache.
I think that the rules as they exist are very enjoyable, well writen and with a sense of logic.I can think a ton of additions in this game system i may propose but i dont know how much good i would done to the game.My opinion is: simple and enjoyable...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Gun protection
I do see Bob's point and one that has come up repeatedly. Let me discuss this with the development teams and see what they think. We do want to keep it simple. A red front DV would also make it harder for some of the larger tanks to so easily destroy AT guns, which were often very well concealed.
Hmm... We will give this some serious consideration, especially with Africa, Crete and France in the early design stages.
Sincerely,
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ellis
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe, thanks very much for your response on this, its appreciated.

I can understand the unique problems with this class of weapon, falling as it does between a 'Hard' target and a 'Soft' one. I also fully appreciate that you want to maintain the system without the addition of extra layers of rules, more counters and unwanted complexities.

Just thowing an idea in here, having given the matter some thought, is to give such weapons (for arguments sake) a 'Black' front defence value which could be targeted by both Red and Blue FP.

Providing a 'Black' value could be calculated that allows a chance of such weapons being knocked-out by either blue or red (for game purposes its of no consequence if this represents either the gun or the crew being destroyed) then it fits in entirely with the existing fire combat rules and does not change any of the fundamental mechanics of the game.

Thanks and Regards,
Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stef Pauwels
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uweeickert wrote:
This period in WWII has always interested me, because it shows the transition to the highly mobile attack mind set of the Blitzkrieg. In this game we will explore many of the misconceptions of this campaign, along with many of the mis-steps taken by the Germans, French, English and others. I really look forward to the development as it progresses.

Working with Pavlos in the past has been very educational and entertaining. His knowledge and perspective of history, along with his family background will give a unique and fresh view of the conflict.

Please let us know of any specific battles that you would like us to cover or ideas that you may have.

Thanks,
Uwe

Hi Uwe,

Looked up a mail that went back and forth between our mailboxes somewhere around Essen last year. Since it's more actual now, I copied a part of it here

well, I looked up some things that might tickle your curiousness

Operation Fall Gelb proved that the Belgian army was no match for the German machine.
However, the troops were responsible for several daring maneuvers that delayed the assault and bought precious time.
18th May: Ardeense Jagers on the river Dender
19th May: 4e Lansiers in Zwijndrecht
20th May 3e Jagers, supported by 10e Artillerie on the river Schelde
Only at the river Leie there was a "real" battle, although not well prepared. This is known as the "Leieslag". It was however very short lived.
The only action that the Belgian army could still do that had any value was cover the retreat of the British expeditionary corps in Duinkerken (battle of Dunkirk).

The real strength came during the occupation. The Belgian resistance was quite active.
Their main activities:

* Relaying intel in favor of the British. (main networks were "Cleveland" or "Clarence" from Walthère Dewé, "Zero" from Fernand Kerkhofs, "Luc" from Georges Leclercq, "Sabot" from P. Bouriez, "Mill" from Adrien Marquet)
* Helping escape downed British pilots/navigators (+- 1600)
* Killing collaborators, thereby weakening the enemy's reign of terror.
* maintaining a secret press release (650 different papers) to keep morale high.
* Sabotaging German supply lines before and after Normandy.
* Interrupting telephone lines and electrical lines.
* Fighting the German troops (not at the front line) during the liberation and leading, for example, British units when reclaiming the harbor of Antwerp.

The most well know of the 15 armed resistance groups where the "Witte Brigade" of Marcel Louette, the "Front de l'Indépendence" and the "Geheim Leger" that was already founded in June 1940 by Robert Lentz and commander Charles Claser.

During the liberation, more interesting battles were fought (game wise).
Bastenaken/Bastogne (battle of the Bulge...)
De strijd om Hechtel
the liberation of the harbor of Antwerp (my personal favorite, since I live there ) Lots of Canadians where involved there.
The failed operation Market Garden that inspired Hitler to launch a counter offensive, moving 30 divisions through the Ardennes,
to recapture the Antwerp harbor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Woźniak
Poland
Niemcz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bob48 wrote:

Just thowing an idea in here, having given the matter some thought, is to give such weapons (for arguments sake) a 'Black' front defence value which could be targeted by both Red and Blue FP.

Providing a 'Black' value could be calculated that allows a chance of such weapons being knocked-out by either blue or red (for game purposes its of no consequence if this represents either the gun or the crew being destroyed) then it fits in entirely with the existing fire combat rules and does not change any of the fundamental mechanics of the game.

Bob

That is an excellent idea, easy to implement in previous games as well. Makes infantry tank like PzIV and infantry short barrel HE guns more powerful, (which I've been fighting for so long). This black defence value could still easily be 14 (since it is in- built gun shield, working agaist some shrapnells and small arms fire, but not against concentrated fire from many low - calliber barrels or several close HE hits). Looks like one of very few house rules I'd love to implement.

Previously German IG 75mm/l24 or PzIVd were next to helpless against bigger AT guns (which didn't seem right at all, as PzIV were supporting lighter vehicles by destroying enemy guns from the distance, kept themselves far away from their target.

It was easy to hit 2*2 m target from 2 km with 75mm, and near miss with HE meant wounds or death for gun crew,in a rectangle of at least 10*50 metres, shield would not prevent all shrapnels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.