Subject: Faster way of embedding pictures? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: UI [+] [View All]
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so this is what I'm doing to embed a picture in a forums post or geeklist comment:
1) Navigate to the game page (preferably in another browser or tab)
2) Click to the gallery section and select a picture
3) Copy down the ImageID
4) Return to the original post and click "Insert Geek Image", then type the ImageID.

It's a bit cumbersome, especially for several at once (or maybe I am just lazy ) Is there an easier way to do this? e.g. It would be nice to type in the game name and having it pull the default picture, like it does for a Geeklist Item.

Also, is there some way to easily know if someone else posted about you with the user tag? I often see people turn up in even somewhat-obscure places where others have mentioned them, and I'm not sure if they have some trick for it or if they just read everything on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is a quicker way of embedding images, except to say you can copy/paste the image ID from the URL rather than typing it.

As for knowing if someone has used your avatar, it has been requested but not implemented:

Notification of users talking about you (by Blott)
Automatic subscription to your own avatar (by UnknownParkerBrother)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
Ok, so this is what I'm doing to embed a picture in a forums post or geeklist comment:
1) Navigate to the game page (preferably in another browser or tab)
2) Click to the gallery section and select a picture
3) Copy down the ImageID
4) Return to the original post and click "Insert Geek Image", then type the ImageID.

It's a bit cumbersome, especially for several at once (or maybe I am just lazy ) Is there an easier way to do this? e.g. It would be nice to type in the game name and having it pull the default picture, like it does for a Geeklist Item.

Also, is there some way to easily know if someone else posted about you with the user tag? I often see people turn up in even somewhat-obscure places where others have mentioned them, and I'm not sure if they have some trick for it or if they just read everything on BGG.

Well I use ctrl+c and ctrl+v to copy & paste the imageID, rather than writing it down somewhere, but otherwise that is my process as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies, even though it's bad news for my lazy self. cry

I do use copy/paste also, but it's still quite a cumbersome process.

Oh well, at least I found a funny geeklist to read through your links col_w, so I count this thread as a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Using tabs in your browser can be very helpful. Open the images in different tabs from your posts. Also, rather than copying the ID number from the page, where it's a hotlink you can't double-click on, if you go up to the address bar, it's the only number in the URL, and you can double-click to select it, then Ctrl+C or right-click, as you wish:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/144555/puerto-rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Using tabs in your browser can be very helpful. Open the images in different tabs from your posts. Also, rather than copying the ID number from the page, where it's a hotlink you can't double-click on, if you go up to the address bar, it's the only number in the URL, and you can double-click to select it, then Ctrl+C or right-click, as you wish:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/144555/puerto-rico

Thanks, but I do already use tabs and copy the number from the url. The main issue isn't with copy/paste but having to do the entire process in the first place, especially when all I want is the default picture for the game.

e.g. I wanted to list seven games in a single post, so ended up opening 7 new tabs for it. Loading all the info from 7 game pages at once took a while in and of itself, and that's before even looking for the images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
worshipsf wrote:
e.g. I wanted to list seven games in a single post, so ended up opening 7 new tabs for it. Loading all the info from 7 game pages at once took a while in and of itself, and that's before even looking for the images.

If you just want the default pictures, you can get the numbers for those from either the top games list or your collection list (by adding the thumbnail column--you can then Permalink that and add it to your Quickbar).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.