Ian M
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure that it's possible to have one of each monster in the deck in front of a player when it comes time to spawn a monster, whether by Exploration or due to a Sentry.
So, I draw a monster, see that I already have it, discard it and draw another, until I run out of cards, at which point I shuffle the monster discard pile, and start drawing... until I run out again, at which point I know that I have one of everything.
So, what do I do? I think that, in the RAW, I'd just sit around shuffling and drawing forever! XD
For now, I'll just say that, if someone somehow gets one of everything (or one of everything minus a 3x in the XP pile), then just skip drawing a monster, to avoid wasting time. (Also, don't add monsters because we've got so many! Legion Devils and Gibbering Mouthers and Duergar Guards and Cave Bears O MY!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny observation. I think your solution is the best one. The most important consideration here is that one player not have two of one kind of monster, in order to keep the activation rules simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You automatically lose. If you run out of resources to place on the map, game over. Like virus blocks in Pandemic, minions in Defenders of the Realm, etc.

Not really, the rules don't account for it, so it's up to you as to what you decide, but I think losing due to monster overwhelm-ness isn't a bad house rule. In the dozen or so games I've played (even in CR's Adventure: Impossible, where I did see quite a few), I've not seen this come up yet, though I won't say it's impossible.

If every type of monster is on the board, you're probably going to die soon anyways, so why delay the inevitable?

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the equally simple but nastier variant, just draw a card and keep it even though it is a duplicate.

Quote:
If every type of monster is on the board, you're probably going to die soon anyways, so why delay the inevitable?

Burst effects man. More monsters = more stuff to blow up in one big blast devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian M
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I didn't say that we'd be out of monster cards or minis. It'd just be that a single player would have one of everything. ;) Actually, it seems likely, in such a situation, that the other players would have few. Maybe the hypothetical player can't catch a break, so doesn't kill monsters on his turn. (Always discard your own if you kill something, etc.)

If it seems like not-spawning would make it easier, then maybe I'd say that the player gets a duplicate, so some type of monster activates twice on his turn. I'll have to decide if it ever comes up. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would seem very unlikely as some of the encounter cards can then outright kill you or put you into a losing situation. But if it does happen, how about keeping it simple and just giving the drawn monster an extra activation immediately (to simulate overwhelming advantage of numbers) and then discarding the monster card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario is possible I think, but would be pretty dang rare to ever happen. I would just stop drawing cards after I've had every monster possible in front of my hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah - it happened the other night in a two player game - other player (cleric) had the cloak of elvenkind so every monster draw got assigned to me. We played it as no monster gets played.

Brought up some interesting points
- once you have all three copies of a monster in the xp pile, you can't place more monsters of that type.
- Cleric went exploring down a different path and the used the astral card to pop over to my path, leaving a bunch of the worst monsters a good distance away. then we had a party killing snakes, drawing tiles, and placing new snakes or empty tiles while the horde worked its way to us. when we finally drew the chamber, there were no monsters to place, so we fought the villain solo, with late arrivals straggling in from behind us
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah - it happened the other night in a two player game - other player (cleric) had the cloak of elvenkind so every monster draw got assigned to me. We played it as no monster gets played.

If you had one of each monster, there would be confusion about what happened to monsters you drew. But when the cleric drew a monster, it would still just get handed to you - the duplicate roll only applies when you draw a monster, not when you transfer a monster to someone else.

Quote:
- once you have all three copies of a monster in the xp pile, you can't place more monsters of that type.

Bit of a non-issue, since you also can't draw any more monsters of that type

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Morris
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
StormKnight wrote:
Quote:

If you had one of each monster, there would be confusion about what happened to monsters you drew. But when the cleric drew a monster, it would still just get handed to you - the duplicate roll only applies when you draw a monster, not when you transfer a monster to someone else.

don't have the cards in front of me, but I recall that the CoE specifically indicated that you treat the monster card as if it were drawn by the person you select. (i.e. it is placed by someone else instead) this is different from the event cards which have you passing monster cards around after they are drawn....

I guess this brings up the question (in keeping with your second statement above) does "Place" = "Draw"? I thought so, but maybe I'm wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...but I recall that the CoE specifically indicated that you treat the monster card as if it were drawn by the person you select.

Ah. I think you're right. We'd interpreted it otherwise the first time. Their wording of "place" wasn't the best choice for that card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.