Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a session of Gold Beach tonight. As always Paul Koenig's system allowed me to recreate the battles around and after the landing on Gold Beach rather nicely.

I played the game solo (as are almost all my war games played). To help guide the actions of the two sides, I make a general battle plan before the battle, and try to stick to it as much as possible, and perform actions that are logical both for the force/unit in question and for the execution of that side's general plan.

The German general plan was to form a defensive line From Arromanches, over Ryes and south of Sommervieu. With two options: either the line holds, and they would make a late assault to push te Brits back to the beach, or if the line breaks, rush back to Bayeux and make a last stand in the city.

The British plan was to try to reach the city of Bayeux as soon as possible with two brigades (56th and 69th), going south through the bocage and then west over the roads. While both other brigade would keep the Germans busy and try to capture other towns and villages.

The first day went rather well according to both plans, except that the Germans were not so happy that the landing damage done to the British regiments was beneath average. The second day saw a race for Bayeux between elements of the British 56th Brigade and the complete German 1/726 Bataillon. The Germans were first in the city, but only with one company, which the British kicked out easily enough. Meanwhile the other British forces did their job well pinning down the German defensive line and killing companies here and there.

On the third day the regiments of 69th entered Bayeux as reinforcements, and a German counterattack was held off successfully. The remaining German companies withdrew to the different towns and villages between Bayeux and the beach. Two remaining regiments of 231st Brigade tried and failed to capture Longues sur Mer. But the two remaining regiments of 151st Brigade, who had both sustained heavy casualties all ready (1 hit, 2 hits) managed to capture both the village of Sommervieu and the town of Ryes, with the help of a regiment from 56th Brigade.

The Battle for Gold Beach and Bayeux was won by the British!

Final VP count:
Germans: 10 VP
- 2 regiments destroyed: 2VP
- 4 villages under control (Longues, Arromanches, St Come & Tierceville): 4 VP
- 4 undamaged companies still on the map: 4VP

Brits: 13 VP
- City of Bayeux completely under control: 10 VP
- 1 village under control (Sommervieu): 1 VP
- 1 town under control (Ryes): 2VP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Goss
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christopher,
Nice review! Do you have any of the other games in the series? What do you think about them? How about some more replay sessions? Thanks and all the best,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark.

Yes, I have the whole series, and plan to get the next series (Marketgarden) when they will be finished too!

I like Paul Koenig's system because it is really easy, fast and fun, and it still lets you recreate a historic battle with a certain accuracy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.