Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicolas Leduc
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I play RRT (and I bougth the reprint of RotW). I find the auction phase that determine the first player a little boring. Too often all the players pass. I looked at Steam and found that the basic game uses tiles for the turn order. So each tile has a little bonus and a number on it. THe number correspond to the turn order. So if you choose the tile 1 you are the first player but get no bonus. So I want to know if anybody have tryed to implement a system like in Steam in RotW to choose the player order?

Thanks
Nicolas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The problem is the operations cards. You need to completely remove them for this to work correctly. In Steam (Basic) you choose an action you will take this turn and that action determines the turn order NEXT turn. If an operation card flips at the beginning of the turn, someone randomly going first gets first dibs on that card.

I suppose you could put the operations card next to the card selection area as a "preview" and it is not available for play until next turn. But then the problem is that the order actions are chosen in this is based on reverse turn order of LAST turn. So all this does is give whoever went last first dibs at the new operation card next turn.

The side effect of removing the operations cards is to make money extremely tight. Also if you remove the operations cards, you may as well just play Steam.

I suspect you are playing the game casually if your auctions are boring. Every time a service bounty pops up or stuff like new industry/city growth in the late part of the game, auctions should be more heated. And frankly, Steam is anything but a casual game. If the auctions really bother you, just pass the first turn token to left (or right) after each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Leduc
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Thanks for the answer. The operation card is really a problem if we want to integrate the Steam like turn order. I think on our games we have underestimated the potential of the card so it is why we don't like to do the auction. On our next game I will try to focus a little bit more on the cards.

Thnaks for the advice
Nicolas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.