Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my sisters found this game in a thrift store, so despite not knowing who Janosch was, it was worth the very small price we paid for it. The rules are very simple, suitable for 4 year olds, and as I've gamed with a few 4 year olds we've played it a few times.

The game is really quite simple. Janosch, who's a tiger or something, is going treasure hunting. There's an astonishing number of things Janosch needs to take, but you're only helping him to get 6 particular ones.

(image by jrachfal)

Each particular item appears once in a cell on the board, and once on a card. Each player is dealt six cards - that's the items you have to help Janosch find. Janosch is apparently able to look for two items at a time, as indicated by two trails of red arrows starting in the centre of the board. On your turn, you extend one of the trails by adding an arrow to the front of it. If you place that arrow such that the trail meets itself, you place another arrow such that its tail is connected to an existing arrow. In this way, on each move you cause the trails to visit one more item on the board.

When the trails have visited all six of your items, you win. It's that easy.

This game is a very simplified version of Kramer's Expedition. I played that once, and I have to say I like Janosch Schatzsucher better - turns are quicker, there's no AP as there aren't great moves you need to prevent other players from making, and generally this game exploits the multiple trails idea well enough without adding a lot of chrome.

In summary, it's a kid's game. Kids don't care that Janosch is a tiger from some European cartoon, they're open to new stuff. They do enjoy that it's an easy enough game to understand, and that generally they can get to at least some of their cards despite the best efforts of the older players. There's some interest here for everyone, and the game doesn't overstay its welcome - you can't ask for much more than that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review of a game that otherwise doesnt get a lot of attention!
I might add a few things about Janosch. His real name is Eckert (Janosch being the artists pseudonym). He is a well known artist and author especially for childrens books in Germany. His most famous character is the Tigerente (tiger duck) which also had its own television broadcast, the Tigerentenclub (tiger ducks club). So this game features tiger duck and his friends....
BTW thats tiger duck:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.