Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone still working on the Vassal module? According to the Vassal site only the map is done, but I'm not sure how old that comment is.

I'd love to see this, as I'm realizing that manual setup is quite time consuming. :|
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least you have a copy to manually set up. I'm still trying to find one.

Although I did notice that you don't live that far away from me... maybe we should try to arrange a FtF playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Volfield wrote:
At least you have a copy to manually set up. I'm still trying to find one.

One usually pops up on ebay every month or so. I recommend creating a saved search. That's what I did until I managed to acquire one at a price I was willing to pay.

Quote:
Although I did notice that you don't live that far away from me... maybe we should try to arrange a FtF playing?

The Springs is a bit far for me, but if you're willing to drive up, sure! Let's chat offline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Falcon
Switzerland
Estavayer le Lac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I DL'd the map that was on the site for a while and I'm working on the counters now. I have the infantry done, the Imperial ships done, and I'm working on the Zhodanis now. I'm taking some liberties with the Zhodani ships, giving them different shapes than the Imperial ones, but I'll eventually make a set with the same shapes for the purists.

I'm a VASSAL rookie, but I do have a very rough module with a few counters together. I'll see about posting an image here tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Falcon
Switzerland
Estavayer le Lac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how the VASSAL module looks thus far. Ignore the white chunk taken out of the right side in the screen cap, as it's not actually there in the module. I'll post a note here when I finish it, but it will be a few weeks as I'm still learning some of the options with regards to the menu bar and the counter flipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking very good! I like the fact that you added the hex numbers to the worlds. That's something it would be nice to have on the real map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone playing this VASSAL PBEM style?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
Anyone playing this VASSAL PBEM style?

I would like to play a game ... Anyone up for a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Folks, there appears to be a completed module as of this June.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mayne
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, kudos to Ice Falcon for making this module. It's a lot of work doing one from scratch.

I was getting ready to play this PBEM but my opponent and I found some errors (3 worlds were missing from the hex map, many squadron types were missing or incorrect, etc.) in the 1.1 version.

I've edited the module to fix everything and submitted it to the original author. Hopefully he'll post it to the VASSAL site soon, but in the meantime if anyone's interested in checking it out, PM me and I can email you the 1.2 version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like 1.2 was uploaded a few days ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Falcon
Switzerland
Estavayer le Lac
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first upload of the 1.2 module partially failed, which is why it was showing up as a 64k file. It has been uploaded again and is now available for download from the Fifth Frontier War module page on the VASSAL site.

Nice work by Scott fixing the various module errors and producing the updated version. I hope to figure out how to do random counter draws in a future 1.3 version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Icefalcon wrote:
I hope to figure out how to do random counter draws in a future 1.3 version.

In the meantime, however, you can sort of fake it. Make a single stack offboard for each type of thing you need to randomly draw. Then when it's time to draw from that stack, select the whole thing, hold down one of the "rotate the stack by one" keys (left or right arrow if I'm not mistaken) for long enough that the stack has cycled an indeterminate number of times, then pull the counter off the bottom (so you can't be accused of getting it to stop on the unit you wanted). It's at least as random as physically drawing a counter out of a cup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Heivly
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
The Vassal module seems to be up and ready. Anyone interested in playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.