Subject: How gamebreaking is it to allow reordering of cards in one's hand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just in case one group doesn't like to do it this way, does it really break the game alot to allow players to rearrange their hands in any order they see fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Ramsey
United States
Grove City
OH
flag msg tools
badge
Hush
mbmbmbmbmb
This would really kill the game. The vast majority of the game is having to trade to manage the order of the cards. If you just rearrange them you have lost virtually all of the tension and decision making that make this game great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
About poker: Just in case one doesn't like to do it this way, does it really break the game a lot to allow players to look at each other's hands?

Seriously, this is just as game breaking. Managing your planting queue is what makes the game interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Just in case one group doesn't like to do it this way, does it really break the game alot to allow players to rearrange their hands in any order they see fit?

Suppose you are playing Chess. Would it really break the game to allow a player to swap the position of any two pieces at will?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is game breaking. It is one of the major drivers of the need to trade. If you don't like the no reordering of the cards you should probably play something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where I come from, that is called CHEATING
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Yes.

Yes.

Wow! I actually agree with
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
on something.
That alone tells me that this "Yes." answer spans the gamut of gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player77 wrote:
Where I come from, that is called CHEATING
Well, serves me right for not putting this into the Variants forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is actually already a variant (actually an expansion) that lets you change the order of your cards.

Check out Telebohn:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/13474/telebo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

Every time you rearrange your hand in Bohnanza, a kitten gets squished by a steamroller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
Every time you rearrange your hand in Bohnanza, a kitten gets squished by a steamroller.

Piloted by Clearclaw

Seriously though, don't rearrange your hands, it's the core mechanic of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without that mechanic, you're getting closer to playing a simplified form of Rummy. At which point just drop the limitation on the number of fields and play Bohnrumza.

The game hinges on set card order and limited planting sites. I wouldn't tell you not to do it (the cards are yours) but it's fairly crucial to the published game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

OMG, I know players who would rather rearrange your head than their cards. Break the game? The rare and exquisite rule of keeping your hand in order is the heart of the game. Why fix something that ain't broken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmredden wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

OMG, I know players who would rather rearrange your head than their cards. Break the game? The rare and exquisite rule of keeping your hand in order is the heart of the game. Why fix something that ain't broken?
Nongamers. Social experience over game for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It begs the question: How many times has your group played it correctly and incorrectly? Is this just a 'first impressions' reaction or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
It begs the question: How many times has your group played it correctly and incorrectly? Is this just a 'first impressions' reaction or not?
Haven't played with them yet, but they do do this sort of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Winnipeg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is hilarious how we regard our games with an almost religious fervor.

But at the same time if you are having a group of people over to pretend to play Bonanza you might as well put a pile of laundry in front of them and spend the evening sorting it. It would be the same experience as playing Bonanza with rearranging your hand and you would at least accomplish something useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capadotia wrote:

11 to 26 thumbs (and counting) per simple post? I tell you, I'd be lucky to get even 3 thumbs for a response to a similar question on other game message boards

capadotia wrote:
But at the same time if you are having a group of people over to pretend to play Bonanza you might as well put a pile of laundry in front of them and spend the evening sorting it. It would be the same experience as playing Bonanza with rearranging your hand and you would at least accomplish something useful.

At this point, it's moot. They're too far away, so I've stopped going to them. I figured I'd visit them one more time since I posted this thread, but no. I'd figure playing Bohnanza incorrectly is still better than playing 8p to 12p Phase 10, Uno, Apples To Apples, or Mexican Train "more correctly" (since IIRC, these games max out at 8p to 10p anyways)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual wrote:
capadotia wrote:

11 to 26 thumbs (and counting) per simple post? I tell you, I'd be lucky to get even 3 thumbs for a response to a similar question on other game message boards

Sometimes dropping a thumb is more efficient than posting "I agree with so-and-so."

Not being able to rearrange your hand in Bohnanza creates a certain amount of pressure to negotiate and deal with other players. The only way you can manage the order of your cards is by trading or giving them away. Removing that limitation would mean less incentive to trade, and the game would likely be won by whoever draws the best cards.

At that point, you would be better off pulling out a non-competitive party game. Something Apples to Apples or Dixit or Catchphrase where everyone can play and laugh and interact without worrying too much about keeping score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
capadotia wrote:

Sometimes dropping a thumb is more efficient than posting "I agree with so-and-so."
Folks in other game message boards should still follow the same principle, so nothing's changed there. It's still the same comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also it is fun to keep saying "Keep em in order!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

If BGG would go with signatures under posts this would be mine. Simply brilliant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of the kitten crushing steam roller makes me want to re-order my hand, is this a bad feeling! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach the game: "The first rule of this game is you cannot rearrange the cards in your hand. What is the first rule? Say it back to me."

Unrelated but: "The first rule of El Grande is you cannot change anything in the territory with the King. Say it back to me."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.