Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'v read the silent war rule while waiting my "Das Boot", and i'm surprised to see submarine vs submarine combat in this game.

I was thinking that they were not such duels before cold war, any info about this ?

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Submarines duels append in WW2 but were very different from those of the cold war.

As you know, submarines of WW2 were more submersible boats than real submarines. I mean that they were made for surface navigation and could dive when needed for a short time (few hours).
Submarines duels in WW2 were in fact surface encounters. Because submarines have very low profiles, theses encounters appended at close range and were sometime suitable for torpedo attacks. For the same reason, it was very rare and very favorable for surprise attacks.
But these combats were "one shot" actions and once underwater, no attacks could be made (which is not the case for post-war and modern submarines).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is much clear with that info

C'est plus clair ainsi

Merci !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
American submarines sank 14 Japanese subs. One American sub (Corvina) was probably sunk by Japanese submarine I-176.

http://www.valoratsea.com/main.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphaël
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mais de rien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In February 1945, the Batfish sank 3 Japanese subs in 4 nights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jackson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Allied submarines sank 23 U-boats during the war. U-boats sank ten Allied submarines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Martin
England
Whitstable
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if im wrong but didnt a British Submarine sink a German Submarine while both were submerged?

I can't for the life of me remember the designation for either submarine, I'm sure i can find it in one of my books, this was definitely the exception rather than the rule though.

EDIT

Found it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-864

"German submarine U-864 was a German Type IX U-boat sunk on 9 February 1945 by the British submarine HMS Venturer, killing all 73 onboard. It is the only instance in the history of naval warfare where one submarine has intentionally sunk another while both were submerged. The shipwreck was located in March 2003 by the Royal Norwegian Navy 2.2 miles west of the island of Fedje in the North Sea, at 150 metres."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But how the british has compute its fire solution ?
Only with passive sonar ?

Are the WW2 torpedoes capable of swiming at enough depth to hit a sub ? I would like to know more about this, so i'm going along your link, thanks !

EDIT : Interesting article indeed, it has been sunk at periscope depth, so it was a "near surface torpedo combat".

Yeah, it is not Red October WW2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.