Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Don and I met up on a Tuesday night for a learning game of Mansions of Madness. I'd just started an upload of the website when Don arrived so the shrink-wrap was hurriedly removed and the cardsheets punched.

10 minutes of rule reading later we were setting up scenario 1 from the playbook and I had my first decisions to make as the Keeper. Meanwhile Don was laying out the house and working out which pieces went where. I was working out which cards went into the rooms and in which sequence I had to place them.

And then we were ready to play it through. Don had randomly selected 3 adventurers to play and I was ready to lure them to their deaths.

Time passed, events happened and the party were making headway finding the clues, their sanity was suffering more than their health and it was only a matter of time before 1 character was driven insane by the experience.

As keeper I failed to achieve my objectives and as a result the adventurers escaped though 1 at least was off to the asylum for a period of recovery.

We really enjoyed it though the lack of detailed rule reading was obvious throughout. Most of the rules are pretty straightforward and the rulebook with a couple of exceptions is easy to find clarification.

A quick check on BGG after answered one of my questions about how often I could use the draw cards action in my turn (as often as I can pay for it), exactly what happens with insane characters is something I need to revisit.

As friends will attest I'm not a good rules reader but we made it through and enjoyed it.

I've seen some questions on how well this plays with 2 player and I have to say, it works well, it's not difficult to play more than 1 adventurer and it saves you from feeling picked on when the keeper deliberately isolates and chooses you for insanity.

When will I be playing again? Thursday night during our regular club night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts, Paul - also Gameslore is awesome! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yul Beauchamps
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the turn order marked makes it fairly simple to navigate this game. The only thing I suggest being mindful of is the Horror and Evade checks. They happen quite often during the game but can be easily forgotten which as a keeper could possibly cheat you out of a victory.

Don't go easy on those investigators! devil Make them earn that win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Herring
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul,

How long did it take you two to set the game up? Was it intuitive and easy to determine where the cards and stuff go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
About 20 minutes I think, took me quite a while just to separate cards into their piles, bear in mind that I was also referring back to the rulebook to work out what they all were and if you've prepared by actually reading the rules a lot of that would be obvious, that will be a lot quicker next time as I will bag them according to type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Dougmysticeye wrote:
Hey Paul,

How long did it take you two to set the game up? Was it intuitive and easy to determine where the cards and stuff go?

In our Monday night session, it took us about an hour to punch, go over rules, set up card stacks and get the Keeper ready to rock. I imagine that will be cut down quite a bit by pre-determining a story and letting the Keeper make some decisions before-hand.

I will say that not all of the cards/components are labelled in the rulebook, so you'll spend some time making sure that you're putting the right decks in the right hands.

All told, though, really enjoyable first game and looking forward to more plays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul, I got my copy (from you ) late this afternoon, just as I was about to give up hope of Parcelforce delivering today.

This has been my most fanatically anticipated game since The Great Agricola Fever of 2008 - so when, within a few minutes of having the package delivered, I was asked to work late to help with a colleague's deadline... well, let me tell you, I lost at least 2 sanity points, and felt oddly compelled to invoke Great Cthulhu to drag my employers into some tenebrous abyss of insufferable agony goo

Oh well, game on this Friday, so at least I still have tomorrow for rules and drools!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.