Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Bross
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought the Dominion Big Box (Dominion+Alchemy+Prosperity) a while back and I'm ready for another expansion. Between Intrigue and Seaside, which one would you recommend?

My wife and I play 2 player most of the time, and I don't think I would want to play with more than 4, so the extra players allowed by Intrigue are not an issue. Also, out of the sets I already have, Prosperity is my favorite by far.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ames
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Seaside. Not only do I like the artwork, but the orange "Get X this turn, Get Y next turn" cards have my favorite mechanic in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Your so-called kung-fu... is really... quite pathetic"
mbmbmbmbmb

Intrigue provides action cards with options...you can often make decisions with cards from this set. I would say it is like the base Dominion, but with more depth. For me Intrigue is a set that all Dominion players should own with the base set.

That said, you'll find Seaside is a favorite of many if you look through the forums. Many fun cards, and as mentioned, it introduced cards with "duration". Play it this turn, and get a benefit the next turn.

You can't go wrong with either, but I would always recommend someone who plays Dominion to get a copy of Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you or your wife is prone to bitterness, resentment, or grudges, I'd recommend Seaside over Intrigue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue is more meat and potatoes, and spare turnips if extra company comes over. Seaside is full of appetizers and spicy side dishes. Both are great and I'm glad to own them, but picking one over the other depends on what flavor you want to add to your current mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that Intrigue comes with basic cards (PatMan's "spare turnips"?) which allows you to play with 5-6 (one big game) or 5-8 (two games). If you think you want to be able to do this then Intrigue is the one. Otherwise, they are both good expansions in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bross
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
If you or your wife is prone to bitterness, resentment, or grudges, I'd recommend Seaside over Intrigue.

I have had game pieces thrown at me in the past, so Seaside might be the one to go with!

I'm definitely going to get both, but Seaside sounds like the better choice for right now. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm an old friend of Xanderrrr's
badge
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - S5E20
mbmbmbmbmb
slugggy wrote:
pseudotheist wrote:

I have had game pieces thrown at me in the past, so Seaside might be the one to go with!

I'm definitely going to get both, but Seaside sounds like the better choice for right now. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!
Well then try not to upset her with Seaside; it actually comes with little metal coins to throw at you! And between Ambassador, Ghost Ship, Pirate Ship, and Sea Hag, I'd say Seaside certainly matches Intrigue's potential for bitterness...those can all be some pretty rough attacks. Also, Smugglers. It's really annoying.

Kidding aside, I would recommend Seaside. The duration cards are wonderful, and it's more thematic than the other sets (not really a huge deal for me, but some people prefer it for that reason).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Goldthorpe
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
You try look at one of the many existing threads on this topic, such as this one http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605210/which-expansion-t....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david grainger

Oregon
msg tools
Intrigue adds a number of nasty opponent card trashing attack cards that are rather unpopular. Seaside adds a new type of card called duration which are very interesting, as well as adding some other interesting and useful cards, while many of the other intrigue cards are similar to the base set of dominion. Seaside is a much better set to get given what you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveGold wrote:
You try look at one of the many existing threads on this topic, such as this one http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/605210/which-expansion-t....

Sensibly using a search function and finding exactly what you need instead of posting yet another thread about the very same subject and providing even more unnecessary forum cloggage? What a preposterous idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.