New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my 2nd review ever on the geek. The first one was a warning about a terrible game, so I thought it would be pretty nice to review one of my favorite new games that isn't getting nearly the love it deserves.

Tammany Hall is an extremely mechanically simple area control game with a blind bidding mechanic. I would consider the game a medium-light game of a similar complexity level to Stone Age or Dominion. That is to say, this is a game you could easily teach to a new gamer with very little problems. And a game can be played in 60-90 minutes which gives it the distinction of a game with great depth without taking an entire evening.

Thematically Tammany Hall is simply put amazing. Probably my favorite game board thematically but also in function. Most of the rules are printed right on the board with plenty of handy reminders about what you should be doing in case there is any confusion. I can’t stress how amazing this games looks, it really transports you to mid 1800s New York politics.

I want to keep this review short and not get into a rules discussion so I will keep my final thoughts fairly concise. This game is my favorite bartering game. Period. If you have someone who likes Monopoly because of the deal making, get them to play this game. They will love it and it may be the best gateway for a player looking for a lot of direct conflict and wheeling and dealing. You can make (and break) almost any political deals you want in this game with other players.

The game also forces the mayor to appoint the other bosses to political office and confers upon them special powers that will help them in the next election cycle.. the amount of begging/pleading/promising to get the job of your choice is probably my favorite part of the game.

In short: Tammany Hall is an amazing game that is quickly rocketing up my favorite games list. It is an amazingly deep game with extremely simple rules that can be played in an hour and has immense player interaction. The more I play it, the more I love it. This is a game that really should find its way into most people collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Erickson
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What really impresses me is the way it scales for 3,4,and 5 respectively. There really isn't a sweet spot as they all work remarkably well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandasaurus Games
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
publisher
www.pandasaurusgames.com
badge
www.pandasaurusgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played with 3 and 4 players but have to agree that I can't tell the difference. With 5 players I would imagine the "all the jobs are handed out" mechanic would be somewhat interesting, but yeah.. every time I play the game I am reminded of how slick everything works together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.