Popular Tags: [View All]
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My game group and I have been enjoying Dominion for a couple of weeks now. We prefer to use the randomization cards to determine which set of 10 we will play with. The question we have is what are the blue backed (randomization backed) versions of the victory point and money cards for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Broox wrote:
My game group and I have been enjoying Dominion for a couple of weeks now. We prefer to use the randomization cards to determine which set of 10 we will play with. The question we have is what are the blue backed (randomization backed) versions of the victory point and money cards for?

You can put them face-down under the piles as a visual reminder for when the pile has run out.

For some reason, they switched it out in in Intrigue and only included blue-backed versions of the kingdom cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
Nothing. The sheet of cards is 500 large, so they had some spare spaces, and they made some blank cards and those extra 7 blue-backed cards.

Personally, I prefer using blank cards when piles run out, it's super clear at a glance how many piles are gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just put a face-down copper in a spot when it runs out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused why people put anything to note when a pile runs out. Isn't it obvious? We've never had a problem noticing when a pile is empty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it's every player's own responsibility to pay attention to empty piles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
swbarnes2 wrote:
Nothing. The sheet of cards is 500 large, so they had some spare spaces, and they made some blank cards and those extra 7 blue-backed cards.

Personally, I prefer using blank cards when piles run out, it's super clear at a glance how many piles are gone.

That explains it, thanks. Although, you would think they could have come up with something to do with those spots on the card sheets that would actually serve a purpose. Between the VPs and the money that is 7 cards. Add the two bank cards in and you have 9. Take away two copper and you are at 11 which is enough to add another Kingdom card to the set (plus its randomizer). Just saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davio wrote:

Not to start a forum war, but I respectfully disagree. :)

I think it it is courteous to say what you're buying on your turn and to place an indicator for empty stacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
Davio wrote:

Not to start a forum war, but I respectfully disagree.

I think it it is courteous to say what you're buying on your turn and to place an indicator for empty stacks.

You could put a blank card on the bottom of the stack so that it is already there when the last card is purchased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently my girlfriend picked up on the "mark empty spots" idea from a gaming group she goes to. Prior to this, we always just left the spots empty, but now she takes one of the Curses and flips it upside down on empty spots. I suggested using the blanks, but she said she prefers using the material that is already on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Glasser
United States
California
flag msg tools
Whaleyland wrote:
Apparently my girlfriend picked up on the "mark empty spots" idea from a gaming group she goes to. Prior to this, we always just left the spots empty, but now she takes one of the Curses and flips it upside down on empty spots. I suggested using the blanks, but she said she prefers using the material that is already on the board.

You do know that Curses are limited, right? For example, in a two player game there should only be 10, and they do tend to run out in games with Cursing attacks. Using one of them for anoher purpose can definitely affect the game's outcome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew I should have clarified that statement. Yes, I am well aware that Curses are limited. Thus far, I've only played 4-player games with this new Curse technique. It will not work in 2-player games because the supply is too limited (unless there were no Curse-givers in the kingdom cards). In a 4-player game, I've found that it is rare when all 30 cards are distributed. I also would remember, probably unlike anyone else playing, that the Curses need to go back to the pile if it ever got down that low.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
In a 4-player game, I've found that it is rare when all 30 cards are distributed.

I want to play with your group arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
I knew I should have clarified that statement. Yes, I am well aware that Curses are limited. Thus far, I've only played 4-player games with this new Curse technique. It will not work in 2-player games because the supply is too limited (unless there were no Curse-givers in the kingdom cards). In a 4-player game, I've found that it is rare when all 30 cards are distributed. I also would remember, probably unlike anyone else playing, that the Curses need to go back to the pile if it ever got down that low.

If you don't have any Moats in the game, then Curses are just as limited in 4-player as in 2-player. In a 2-player game, there are 10 Curses, and each Witch gives out 1 Curse, so Witch can be played 10 times before you run out. In a 4-player game, there are 30 Curses, and each Witch gives out 3 Curses, so Witch can be played 10 times before you run out. Potayto, potahto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
.:.sigh.:. I know the mechanics of a Curse and its limiting factor. I also know that there are other Curse-giving cards out there other than Witch. While, yes, Witch gives everyone curses, there are many cards that can block a Witch other than Moat and the Witch only appears in my games about 1/10 times. I play with Intrigue / Base / Seaside currently so the pool is quite a bit larger. Again, IF I need those final two curses that are being used as place-holders, I will return them. Until that time, they work just fine. And also again, using Curses as placeholders was not my idea, it was a random guy's idea at a game group and my girlfriend seemed to like it. What she says goes when it comes to gaming. Otherwise she won't play. Thus, using Curses as placeholders = being able to play games with my girlfriend. Tough crowd today!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
What she says goes when it comes to gaming. Otherwise she won't play.

My first thought on reading this was "DTMFA"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
I'm confused why people put anything to note when a pile runs out. Isn't it obvious? We've never had a problem noticing when a pile is empty.

I think it's for the players who discard their cards face down and make a second draw pile. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.