Subject: Is there a calendar pattern to your game purchases? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I realized, a few days ago, that February is the month I purchase the most games in. I have no idea why, either.

I looked over all my purchase receipts for the last 400 days or so (thanks Gmail, you make searching so easy!) and I do like 80% of my game purchasing in February. For example... in November, December, and January leading up to this February I bought maybe one or two games. Then in February I bought at least 15. Looking back at last year, the same thing happened... not many game purchases leading up to February, a ton during, and then not many after.

I buy more games in February every year than I buy in the rest of the 12 months (usually by 5 times over).

Anyone else have a pattern like this? I'm curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Days ending in 'Y'.

Months with at 28 days (or more) in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, Christmas for me due to a family of players. But otherwise can be anytime I get the urge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jfitzpatrick wrote:
I realized, a few days ago, that February is the month I purchase the most games in. I have no idea why, either.

More snow -> More time indoors -> More time playing games -> More desire to buy games

Maybe? Just speculating.

I've noticed a correlation between the number of games I buy and my income (which fluctuates).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Lauck
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
February (because of my b-day) and October (Essen), but I try to buy games regularly, every month a new game if I can afford it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
jfitzpatrick wrote:

More snow -> More time indoors -> More time playing games -> More desire to buy games

Maybe? Just speculating.

I've noticed a correlation between the number of games I buy and my income (which fluctuates).

Hmmm that could be. Maybe it's a combination of things: being inside (I live where you're essentially snow bound) combined with the bustle of the holiday season behind you. If I buy games in November/December they're almost always as gifts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My game purchasing is directly related to the amount of time I spend on here. I'd tell you more but the urge to buy a game is building as I type this and I need to log off before I hurt my wallet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Every payday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's usually any day of the week, but more of my bigger purchases (3-4 games in one order) occur within a week of payday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Collarin
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a little carried away in February as well. But then again, my birthday is in February, so that had a little something to do with it. That and there was a pretty sweet deal on some Queen's Games. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG.CON is in November. Most of my new games are usually purchased around that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Post-Christmas and Post-Birthday, as I get a good infusion of discretionary cash on both those occasions.

-The FFG annual sale (though not so much this year)

-The B&N annual clearance sale (again, no go this year)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Winter time CABIN FEVER. I find I play more this time of year too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly November, as I tend to grab quite a bit in the BGG.con math trade and flea market. June is also common, as my FLGS has an anniversary sale then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Days ending in 'Y'.

Months with at 28 days (or more) in them.

You stole my line! hahahahah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group and I trade responsibilities. Generally, we get a new game, play it to death, and then it drop in to the rotation, and it's someone else's turn to buy a new one. So it depends on how good the previous game was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No- I thrift things when I see them
There is a pattern in games bought for me- seems to peak around my birthday & Christmas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Four days in October, mostly. This year, October 20 to 23.

Yeah, those happen to be the days when Spiel 2011 is held in Essen. Not entirely coincidental.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.