Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys have a favorite local gaming store? Do you ever have trouble deciding between ordering a game online, like from Amazon, when it's cheaper, or buying from a game store?

Do you always buy from your local business?

I love my local game store - even though it's about an hour a way - but sometimes I need to save the money so I order it online.

Some more thoughts on this on http://www.islaythedragon.com/2011/03/entering-narnia.html

Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge flamewars erupt over this from time to time. The big split is between people who get added value from their Friendly Local Game Store (FLGS) and want to support it by making purchases there, and people who simply want to get their games as cheaply as possible (and Amazon is rarely the cheapest OnLine Games Store (OLGS) ; there are lots of Geeklists and discussion threads about choosing an online vendor.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, your blog post mentions buying Kill Doctor Lucky for $29.99 at your FLGS when it was available for $28.84 on Amazon -- but my favorite OLGS, Boards & Bits, has it in stock for $20.06

While it's not as useful as it once was, the price comparison tool at boardgameprices.com can be handy, as well. The lowest price I found there was $19.49
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Rey
United States
Doral
Florida
flag msg tools
Retired in paradise!
badge
Who ate my hat?
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
For example, your blog post mentions buying Kill Doctor Lucky for $29.99 at your FLGS when it was available for $28.84 on Amazon -- but my favorite OLGS, Boards & Bits, has it in stock for $20.06

While it's not as useful as it once was, the price comparison tool at boardgameprices.com can be handy, as well. The lowest price I found there was $19.49

OT: You just saved me $80.00 with that link!! Thanks!

The above poster hit the nail on the head. Does your FLGS add any value to your purchase, if so what is that value worth, does it justify the slightly higher price. IMNSHO yes it does.

Simple Math for me OLGS+SHIPPING equal or less than FLGS-VAS(Valued Added Services)

Konig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to Podcasts and Blogs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Why? The content of this thread is mostly about retailers, even if it has a link to the OP's blog post on the same subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Octavian wrote:

Why? The content of this thread is mostly about retailers, even if it has a link to the OP's blog post on the same subject.

I suspect because he felt the OP started the thread primarily to promote his blog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.