wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering what the creators of this game are currently up to. Do they have a new game secretly in the works? Also is there any chance we'd see any sort of sequel/expansion to 1960 featuring a different election? I ask because that is what fans of this game want.

Personally, I just love the dynamic and gameplay of 1960 so much that I think the makers should make/market an expansion for the game where all you'd have to buy are cards, player tokens, momentum markers, endorsement markers, updated state seals, and updated issue tiles. Cost would be minimal to make this expansion since we already have the board & cubes and everyone that owns it would quickly pick it up. So Chris & Jason...how about it? Feel like making an expansion of the game for your fans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
lol @ "Cost would be minimal to make this expansion since we already have the board & cubes and everyone that owns it would quickly pick it up."

That is far from true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I guess I misspoke when I said minimal. I meant it would cost less then creating an entirely new game since we alreay have components that they wouldn't need to reproduce (i.e. the game board, cubes, player tokens, and the political campaign bag.) I will freely admit I know nothing about the process of making/distributing an expansion game but it has to be less than making an entirely new game since you don't have to make certain components listed above and would be less of an initial investment as opposed to creating a new game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of problems with the expansion idea.

First, I have heard more than once from designers/developers/publishers on BGG that cards in a game are among the most expensive components if they aren't the most expensive.

Second, since the 1960 map has electoral votes printed on it, it would be out-of-date for other elections. California, for example, had 32 electoral votes in 1960 but 40 in 1964.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you try Founding Fathers? Excellent game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jpat wrote:
I have heard more than once from designers/developers/publishers on BGG that cards in a game are among the most expensive components if they aren't the most expensive.

I didn't realize they were that costly. Even still, if they created an expansion that was limited in quantity for sale so as to minimize risk they could still sell the newly created components at a profit considering that they'd already have a built in market in the current owners of the game. Also, wouldn't overall cost drop if packaging was simple and with the fact that other components would not have to be produced?

jpat wrote:
Second, since the 1960 map has electoral votes printed on it, it would be out-of-date for other elections. California, for example, had 32 electoral votes in 1960 but 40 in 1964.

In my initial post I listed one of the things that would have to be made are updated state seals for the particular election they'd decide to do. The board would be out of date, you are correct about that, but its the seals that are gathered at the end of the game and used to decide the winner. If updated seals are created that would solve that particular problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Did you try Founding Fathers? Excellent game

Sure did! It's my fiance's favorite. She's currently using it as a teaching tool for her students. I like both games, but 1960 has a soft spot in my heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well we have produced two games since (Founding Fathers and Campaign Manager 2008) Neither of those games covers the same ground in the same way, but if you like the subject matter of 1960, you should give them a look.

As for expansions to other elections, we looked at the economics of this. It really does not work all that well. As others have mentioned, the game board captures a moment in electoral time -- even it would need alteration. And the CARDS drive costs, not the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,
If you were to pick another election to do which would it be? I think 1976 would be fun. "Ford pardons Nixon" "Carter's brother talks to the press" "Poland isn't under Communis control". And it was another close election between two presidents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really good question Ken. 1976 would be a good one so would 2000 which would have to include the Gore invents the internet card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with 2000--as, I believe, the designers have mentioned--is that most of the interesting parts of that election happened after election day. This would require more or less an entire new game system which--let's face it--would mean that the election would hardly matter; the legal challenges afterwards would (and that would be a boring game).

You could have a "standard" game, but the chance of being exactly even is pretty small, and then you have an election that's missing one of the most important parts of that election. You *could* make some sort of after-election mini-game that even if the game wasn't tied (but was close) would allow a player to swing up to X number of votes. But that's more or less what the Campaign Strategy cards do now, and it would still cause the whole "everything I did in the game can be undone by two cards at the end" problem.

Personally, I think 1992 and 1912 are the most interesting elections to replicate. In 1992, there could be a sort of "Perot Factor" that players could manipulate to their advantage; the rest of the rules could stay the same, but this would feel like a whole new game. I'm not sure how to pull 1912 off, but I think it's one of our most fascinating elections (probably one of the few times we've had three reasonably viable candidates AND a significant minor party candidate at the same time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.