Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If I bought this game, I might on occasion get to play a 3 player game, but most of the time it would be played as a 2 player. I am interested in people's opinions on how good this is as 2 player only game. Thanks!

P.S. In a 2 player game, is the game play length any shorter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it a lot with 2 and have played it that way with my wife plenty of times (probably about 50% of my plays). I think it's a bit more susceptible to one player running away with it as there are less opportunities for the leader to get pulled back by clever play if there's only one opponent. Nonetheless it's still a damn fun game. And yes, it plays more quickly with 2, although not massively so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DeanMary wrote:
P.S. In a 2 player game, is the game play length any shorter?

Dean...Similar 2 player issues have been discussed here.

...and here

...and here

...and here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Paul
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
man lying down on job voluntarily
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays great with 2 players, my girlfriend likes it. Raider's Post is a bit less "random" in the sense that you know exactly who you're stealing from every time...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really like the 2p game.

Raiders Outpost sees a bit of usage, but normally by the mid game we both have a Holographic Decoy, and it's not worth our time to break the cease-fire. The only time when it becomes cost-effective to use the Outpost at that point is when you can use it twice in a turn.

A lot of it just depends on who you're playing against, and how vicious they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that the board feels a bit empty with two. It's a fun game, but there's a bit of a loss in the competitive nature of the game. There's a nice variant where you make a couple territories off-limits for a two player game that makes things a bit more crowded at the expense of limiting your options a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blanco
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? (James 2:15-16)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up from my wife and I for 2 player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
So there's no "dummy player" in two-player AF, like there is in Kingsburg? Would that help make the board feel more crowded (in a good way)?

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gciscell wrote:
So there's no "dummy player" in two-player AF, like there is in Kingsburg? Would that help make the board feel more crowded (in a good way)?

Galen

No need for a dummy player -- there's less spaces to place your dice in 3 player version, even less in 2 player version. And it scales very, very nicely. 2 player game is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the ports are just automatically blocked in 2-player by dummy dice. They are never accessible.

gciscell wrote:

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Ah, well that sounds perfect, thanks!

xjohncandyx wrote:
Most of the ports are just automatically blocked in 2-player by dummy dice. They are never accessible.

gciscell wrote:

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that the dice placement scales well to 2 by blocking off slots, but what about area control on the planet itself? is there not much tension in territory control in 2 player? Would putting some dummy colonies on the planet somehow help? maybe this is something the expansion will address...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Different territories lend themselves to different strategies. It is a good idea to block someone/take over control of a colony to grab the lead or win, but area control on the planet is a bit sparse 2-player. If you are both going the same route you'll be bumping into each other a lot.

Seeding dummy colonies will just make gaining VPs via control and using special abilities take longer and slow the game down.

flamejuggler wrote:
I get that the dice placement scales well to 2 by blocking off slots, but what about area control on the planet itself? is there not much tension in territory control in 2 player? Would putting some dummy colonies on the planet somehow help? maybe this is something the expansion will address...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
flamejuggler wrote:

One of our primary play testers (Tom) suggested seeded colonies back in Oct 2010 when we were at ConQuest Oregon. We've tried it with 2 seeded colonies in a 3-player game and 4 seeded colonies in a 2-player game and it plays well enough. It also gives a little more flexibility when you're moving colonies around as the game nears the end. We just drew random territory cards from a bag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.