Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at GDC for the week and was wondering if there were any good shops near the Moscone Center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. They sell games at Jeffery's which is like 3rd and Market, but they know nothing about them. If you don't mind a muni ride, hop the K,L, or M t West Portal (you can catch the train underneath market) and walk a couple blocks (or stay on the K or M) to Just Awesome games at 320 west portal. Friday night is 21+ game night (e.g. you can bring beer) which runs from 8PM-Midnight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Jeffery's is a toy store that happens to have more than mainstream games. Decent selection for the small area allocated for games.

Don't know about Just Awesome, but sounds like fun. Might have to check it out on the next trip to SF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just there for a business trip last week. As Chris stated, it is easy to take get on the underground train on Market Street and then get off the train at West Portal Station and then a 5 minute walk along West Portal to Just Awesome. I went to the Sunday Afternoon game session and had fun.

In addition, later in the week, I took the 71 bus to Haight and Divisadero, then a 5 minute walk along Divisadero to Gamescape, which has a very large selection of games for sale. Don't know if they have any game nights there, though. I picked up some games at both places.

This site is great for planning a trip using public transportation in SF:

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/home/sfmta.php

Just input your start and end destinations on the right side of the web page and it will give you recommended routes.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fer chrissakes, if you are going to take a train anywhere, it's a 14 minute BART train ride and 3 block walk to EndGame Oakland, one of the best game stores in California. No disrespect meant to Gamescape or Just Awesome, really. But a quick trip to the East Bay to visit EndGame is just totally worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
In addition, later in the week, I took the 71 bus to Haight and Divisadero, then a 5 minute walk along Divisadero to Gamescape, which has a very large selection of games for sale.

I was in S.F. for a short visit recently, and my daughter took me to GameScape to pick out a game for my birthday. A very nice store with a diverse inventory; they even had a decent selection of wargames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Wehrenberg
United States
Unspecified
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Fer chrissakes, if you are going to take a train anywhere, it's a 14 minute BART train ride and 3 block walk to EndGame, one of the best game stores in California. No disrespect meant to Gamescape or Just Awesome, really. But a quick trip to the East Bay to visit EndGame is just totally worth it.

Gabe beat me to it.

THIS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Ellingson
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
Fer chrissakes, if you are going to take a train anywhere, it's a 14 minute BART train ride and 3 block walk to EndGame Oakland, one of the best game stores in California. No disrespect meant to Gamescape or Just Awesome, really. But a quick trip to the East Bay to visit EndGame is just totally worth it.

I second this opinion. Although I'm from Sacramento, I can say that EndGame is the best game store I have been in in Nothern California.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.