Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original version without the tactic cards. I used to own Battle Line but find that I prefer the game without the cards and the card quality of the first edition Battle Line was inferior to my Schotten-Totten set.

This evening, after finishing her homework, my daughter wanted to play a game. My son was off doing something else and my wife had gone for a walk so it was just going to be me and her. She mentioned some of her favorite two player games, Blokus Duo and Cathedral, but when I asked if she wanted to try something new, she quickly agreed.

I got the game and quickly reviewed the rules before I try to explain them to her. I had a small cheat sheet I had made to show the value of the different card sets so I gave to her and then tried to quickly go over the rules.

She had difficulty the first game and made several mistakes. I would, of course, point out her error and let her make another play, but at the end of the game I had 5 stones to 1 for her and I probably would have taken 2 more.

I thought to myself that maybe the tactics were too advanced for her and started to put the game up when she asked to play again. I asked her if she was sure or wanted to play something else but she was insistent on a rematch.

I quickly shuffled the cards and dealt out our starting hands. This game went much differently. Suddenly my daughter was making consecutive runs of the same color or placing 3 of a kind. Twice she trumped my hand on stones I thought I had. When the dust settled, she had claimed a 5-3 win.

It was fun watching the game "click" for her. She still had a bit of difficulty proving she won a stone when I didn't have three cards played so I helped her out with that. (But I've played several adults who had the same difficulty.)

It will be interesting to see if our second game was the result of a favorable card distribution or if she is in fact a pretty good player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.