Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sozio
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi everyone.

First, I'm sorry if this is not the proper forum for this question.

I'm working on a game and I will need some basic line art type graphics for the counters I plan to use in the game. It is a fantasy game similar to those old SPI games Deathmaze and Citadel of Blood. When I am a little further along (should be very soon), how do I go about getting art or an artist to design the graphics?

I have been designing various games over the years, but I have not released anything yet. All that time, I always had one or two parts of development that I felt would be the hardest part. Those two parts are A) figuring out how to find an artist and knowing what the average pricing would be to pay for custom art, and B) Once the game is finished, how to get it noticed or looked at by some of the current board game publishers. Anyhow, if anyone can at least give me some advice on the hiring or commisioning of an artist, I'd truly appreciate it.

Thanks,
John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coen Velden
Germany
Geldern
Deutschland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

John,

What kind of illustrations do you have in mind?
As a hobby-painter, I'd like to help you out.

You can get a very small impression of my work here, but I do lots of other stuff:

www.coenst.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sozio
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello.

I'm thinking something similar to the game Citadel of Blood. I'm an old school gamer when it comes to RPG type games, and loved the art from the early D&D, SPI, and The Fantasy Trip type games so I'm hoping to mimic that style of art. To me it just left more to the players imagination than today's detailed colorful art. The whole fun of RPGs and adventure games is to use your imagination. When the graphics are so detailed and vibrant it leaves less to the players imagination and that can take away from the fun of such games.

Anyhow....

Below is a link to their chits. This is just for example purposes. I plan on using larger (maybe 1 inch) square chits/counters or more preferably hex counters since the game will use hex battlemaps and dungeons, so the hex counters would be most efficient. 1 inch counters are a lot bigger than the Citadel of Blood chits so there will be some room for more detailed line art and extra statistical information. I actually drew a mock-up on some blank counters that I had. I can scan it in so you can get an idea of the layout of the monster counters. It shows the info/stats that go on the counters and the picture of a goblin. Note, I am no artist so the goblin is just a face and it was something within the realm of my drawing capability. Something along the lines of a child's drawing. LOL

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/103409/citadel-of-blood?size=...

The following is still up in the air. As of now I'm thinking of counters for the monsters, and various heroes. Fighter, Thief, Cleric, Wizard.

I may add weapons/armors/general items and magic items as counters eventually as well as dungeon halls and rooms.

My initial idea for this game is for it to be run by a GM or referee. Eventually, I may make a add-on type release that allows for solo play, or group play in a random dungeon without the need of a GM. If I do go that route eventually I'll probably think about the equipment counters and dungeon halls and rooms, etc...

Well, sorry for writing so much and thanks for replying to my thread.

Sincerely,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.