Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of different encounter cards but some stand out to our group. There are groans when they are drawn. The ones listed below are the ones that cause us the most heartburn and I expect that we are not alone in that. What card do you find the worst?
Poll
What encounter card do you most dread drawing?
Spirit of Doom (1 dam when hero discards a treasure card)
Deadly Shadows (active hero takes 1 point if ends turn on tile w/ another hero)
Voice of the Master (each player activates monster)
Teleport Glyph (hero and monsters move to farthest tile)
Illusionary Trick (hero swaps position with farthest monster)
King Tomescu's Portal (attack hero 3x and move him from tile)
Spear Gauntlet (3/1 dam (!) to every hero within 1 tile)
Alarm (generates monsters)
Other (please specify)
      44 answers
Poll created by scottandkimr

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us, the worst is probably Spirit of Doom. It takes what is good (treasure cards) and poisons them. So, even bad things happen when good things should be (using treasure cards). Spear Gauntlet is really nasty too and is a close tie with Spirit of Doom. 3/1 damage to every hero within 1 tile - yikes! The cards that can involuntarily teleport people around tend to cause havoc with our plans too. We seem to draw them at the climax or some other crucial time and they mess up our plans.

Anyway, I am interested to know what cards others find the worst of the worst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very occasionally the teleport cards can work to your advantage, but yes, on the whole they are a ball-ache. My vote is for Spear Gauntlet though - possible 3 damage to the whole team straight away? Nasty... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spear Gauntlet is nasty. In a recent game, my party of five heroes lost 20 of their 40 hit points before anyone took a second turn. the spear gauntlet was a major reason for this. I also hate to see Patrina Velikovna, who, if I remember correctly, can hit everyone for two points, regardless of their location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only time I don't go yuk when drawing Spirit of Doom is when I have Ring of Regeneration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much any "Damage 3, Miss 1" encounters we hate with a passion.

I voted for the Spirit Of Doom, because that's almost a guaranteed 1HP lose every turn, since just about every treasure you draw in CR is a Play Immediately And Discard worthless treasure. Now getting hit for 1 unavoidable point of damage? No thank you. At least with the 3dmg/1Miss, there's an end to the damage you take.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
Spear Gauntlet is nasty. In a recent game, my party of five heroes lost 20 of their 40 hit points before anyone took a second turn. the spear gauntlet was a major reason for this.

Yeah, Spear Gauntlet is horrible. In one shot a 6 HP character can be put at half hit points. Yikes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first 2 games last night (solo)... the Damage 3, Miss 1 ones were a huge pain but manageable... the one that got me in the second game was the Spirit of Doom card, it almost cost me the game, I was down to my last HP and couldn't us anything I wanted (no surges left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Edin
Sweden
Bankeryd
Småland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of DOOOOOOM!
I voted for the Spirit of Doom just because it's one of the most ill conceived event cards in any game (I've ever played) period. It just takes the fun out of treasure cards and since some of them are of the "Use immediately"-variant it forces unavoidable damage upon you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey007 wrote:
I voted for the Spirit of Doom just because it's one of the most ill conceived event cards in any game (I've ever played) period.

Considering it is the "Spirit of Doom" I think it's pretty brilliantly conceived, and thematic too, if nasty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Monkey007 wrote:
I voted for the Spirit of Doom just because it's one of the most ill conceived event cards in any game (I've ever played) period.

Considering it is the "Spirit of Doom" I think it's pretty brilliantly conceived, and thematic too, if nasty.

I hate the card, but you are right, it is brilliantly conceived and very thematic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monkey007 wrote:
I voted for the Spirit of Doom just because it's one of the most ill conceived event cards in any game (I've ever played) period. It just takes the fun out of treasure cards and since some of them are of the "Use immediately"-variant it forces unavoidable damage upon you.

I don't know if I would go that far, but I generally agree. It drains the fun out of part of the game that is supposed to be a positive, drawing or using treasure cards. While it might have some thematic connection, I don't like that part of it. And that might be why I dislike this card more than the spear gauntlet, which is deadlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Locke
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I always played Spirit of Doom wrong. I figured it just meant item cards on your hero. Frankly, I think I'll just keep playing it that way too =p House rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.