Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of making a homemade set of the new genes for Primordial Soup. I've heard some people say that some of the new genes are too powerful or not balanced.
shake

What do people think? Are there genes I should not bother with? Are some genes good, just too cheap (or too expensive)?

If I get a fair number of responses I will post a summary on that game's page.

Warm regards, Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vidar Ambrosiani
Sweden
Nyköping
Södermanland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played a few times with the expansion genes but I have played quite a lot with the basic game so I think my comments can make some sense anyways.

The best gene is probably Energy Conservation - You gain 1 BP for each of your amoeba that doesn't move. If you have several amoeba and something like tentacles, so they don't starve, it's great. Expensive at 6 but a really good buy.

Another good one is Go out with a Bang where you hurt other people when you die. A more fun defensive gene.

The top offensive genes, and probably the one that has best impact on gameplay are Camouflage 1 & 2. Suddenly the Move 2-Escape-Streamlining combo is killable. Expensive, but I think a good balancin gene.

Glutton, Threat Display and Cleanliness nobody has ever bought so I think they are unattractive. Populasion explosion probably isn't worth it either.

Toxic Excretions is a really fun idea, but should cost less to be worthwile.

Good Luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look here for the definitive list of extra genes...

http://www.panix.com/~sos/bc/zurs.html

Personally, I like to play the disadvantages, but then - I did invent them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valerie Putman
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Fast Food in my last game, which lets you eat before you move if you want. That paired with Struggle for Survival made my amoebos pretty hard to avoid. Who wants to eat poop when you can eat your friends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.