Subject: mayday oversized sleeves/quality control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sort of a buyer beware/heads up/review/rant.

I brought a couple of games about 6 months ago, Lost Cities, Lord of the Rings Confrontation and Power Grid. I was excited to find that Mayday Games had a trial sleeve size that would fit all of these games, the large sized special order sleeves - its advertised on the site as 70x120mm. The all would need some trimming down, but its the width thats important right?

Mayday has had a terrible time with these sleeves, and I do feel for them. I'm not sure who is making their sleeves, and who is involved in their quality control, but essentially it sucks. Over the last six months since I ordered the sleeves I've received 5 packages of sleeves that haven't fit the cards they were sold for. I've repeatedly asked Mayday to check the sleeves before they send them to me - perhaps a bit of a painful request, but considering the cost of sending them half way around the world has probably blown the cost of the cards 2-3 times over, it didnt seem unreasonable - from my perspective it takes 3-4 weeks for them to arrive, so I'd rather know that they were going to fit before they got on the plane!

So anyway, the last package arrived, and basically my call is that they don't fit - its the closest set yet, and the fit is only about half a mm off. To be honest I might just end up trimming a bit off every card, cause I'm sick of f#cking around, I just want to sleeve the dam cards.

I noticed tonight that the packaging says that the sleeves are for 67-70x120 mm - which is quite different to the 70x120mm advertised on the website, basically by the time you get to any of the 70mm cards, there is no tolerence left; even short cards like powergrid bend in a sleeve that is this tight. The website lists these sleeves as fitting all of these games, which is straight up wrong as far as I can tell. Its always possible that the cards arent printed that accurately, since I did get one Lost Cities card into a sleeve, but 2 others crumpled getting them in, and I'm pretty f'd off by that I can tell you!!

I haven't written to Seth and Mayday about this yet - and I will - but really just ... well I guess I wanted to have a wee rant, but also to get people to question the reliability of Mayday's new cards and the quality control that's going into the pilot ranges. I appreciate that I might be in a minority - so if you've purchased some of the new sizes of Mayday cards and have had no problems, then sing out.

I'd like to throw in that this isn't about the Mayday standard range, most of these have been going for so long that the bugs seem to be gone - although there have been hiccups from time to time - its about the trial ranges that Mayday put out. I guess I'm wondering whether they are worth it, particularly if you have to pay shipping, on cards that may or may not fit.

A second qualifier is that this isnt about Seth, Sarah or any of the Mayday staff - they've gone out of their way to be helpful and to try and address the issue, but there has to be a limit of how long and how many attempts their supplier gets to get it right...

So .... how about you?? Anyone else waited for other six months to end up with a carton of useless plastic and a couple of screwed up cards?

(actually that's not quite fair, I found one of the weird sized sleeves I received did fit the Mr Jack cards kinda nice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Köln
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don´t have any of those sleeves yet, but I bought around 100 packages of other sleeves from Seth.

While I like the quality (material) of the sleeves, they differ way too much. I had a package (up to now, the only one, which can happen) where 50% were 1 mm too short, so that the cards weren´t completely safe. Not to mention that they are somewhat of marked due to the sleeves. Other packages differ in their width badly. Some are too lose, others need to be put in very carefully. This is something that shouldn´t happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toebus
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
Best card in the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the sleeves for Lost Cities and they fit perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toebus wrote:
I bought the sleeves for Lost Cities and they fit perfectly.

Nuts - well... for me at least good for you though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a discussion of the length of the sleeves or the width, or both?

We had a special one-time run of sleeves for WOTR: CE that was supposed to be 67 X 120 MM. We made 2,000 packs of these from many requests on BGG and were really disappointed when the actual cards were about 68 X 120 MM for the game and we had to re-run them bigger. We were then left with 2,000 packs of 67 X 120 MM sleeves that were really not good for much.

We tried to sell them for a few months and then luckily 7 Wonders came along which is 65 MM X 100 MM for the cards. We cut some of the 120 MM cards down by hand and so there was some variance at the top on some cards, but all of them should have been the same 67 MM wide.

We recently released 3 new sizes called our "Magnum Line" that are as follows:

Magnum Copper: 65 X 100 MM (7 Wonders Sized)
Magnum Silver: 70 X 110 MM (Lost Cities Sized)
Magnum Gold: 80 X 120 (Dixit Sized)

All of the above have been very uniform in length/width and not subject to any problems at all that we have heard.

Dean, please let us know via email what the issue is and we will send you some replacements of the right length/width ASAP. Please email me directly to seth@maydaygames.com with the width/length you need and I can help, as it sounds like the usual process through Sarah and/or Gregg hasn't worked out for you.

I should mention that the shipping for replacements each time has been paid for by Mayday, and yes I agree your order has been quite expensive for us. Hopefully I can take this directly and get it right for you finally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience with Mayday is not the quality control but rather the training of their staff in the dispatch room - I am now awaiting my third batch of Dixit size cards having recieved two shipments already of sleeves not remorety able to fit this game. Full marks to Sarah the customer service person at Mayday who has always responded in quick time and has been very helpful. I also feel bad that this has happenned as I know the post cost from the US to Australia is a killer and again, full marks to Mayday for bearing that cost - but it seems to me that someone in the dispatch room needs a bit of a career review discussion to improve customer service and save the company some money so that they can continue to supply all these great odd sized card sleeves for our games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Seth, thanks for the reply. The issue is the width - I've always known that the cards are too long and have expected to trim them down. This works perfectly so I can use the same sleeve for Lost Cities, Powergrid and Lord of the Rings: Confrontation.

These sleeves are definitely a lot closer than any other the others I've received - most of the others were a couple of mm short of the card width and weren't going to go close. These ones are like 1 - 1.5mm out, I keep trying them but I can't get them in and if I do, they just bow.

I do like the thickness of these sleeves. But to be honest Seth I've kinda given up on getting them though. I've put in a new order for a range of sleeves and included a couple of packs of the Magnum Silver sleeves to use for these games.

I totally acknowledge the expense Mayday has gone to trying to satisfy this order and am happy to call it quits. I was keen for the thicker this thickness on these games but it doesn't really seem like its going to happen.

I've just measured the sleeves on the guillotine and they are 71mm wide, which seems like it should fit - but I guess its that tolerance issue. The packet says it fits cards 67-70mm, but I'd suggest that the 70mm cards will only fit if they are really thin card stock.

If you're confident that you have a sleeve that will do it and want to chuck a couple of packets in the next order, I'll be happy to try them out. But at this stage I'd rather you didn't spend any more on postage.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.