Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Thompson
United States
Peru
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else notice an unusual interest in UNO from a set of "New Users" from China?

Like here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/626201/who-can-tell-me-the-m...

There are others.

Kind of funny, I laughed at first, but then I realized it is kind of annoying because we come here for information and that stuff is just spam for the purpose of humor.

Anyways, just wondering if I'm the only one who came across these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I drink your milkshake!
mbmbmbmbmb
English as a Second Language Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thompson
United States
Peru
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! I'm an ESL teacher 4 nights a week.

Color me a little embarassed blush

It just seemed very weird to me that there were all these Chinese new users suddenly posting things about UNO.

No intention of being disrespectful for sure (like i said, I teach ESL)...it just seemed very suspicious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to check out those threads after seeing this one, and I must say that reading them left a bad taste in my mouth. A string of threads with strange and uninteresting questions may be annoying, but I was mostly disappointing by some of the comments from BGGers, including outright vitriol and negative implications about the posters' intelligence/nationality. Learning later that it was a group of students on an assignment to practice their English by talking about the games they'd learned in class, I felt a bit sick to my stomach.

I'm still relatively new here, but until now I've only been amazed by the kindness, supportiveness, and generosity of the community here (so unlike most online communities!) so it was a small shock to my system.

Not really sure there's much of a point to this post, but I guess I just wanted to remind everyone that a bit of extra tolerance and benefit of the doubt doesn't hurt.

edit: Just want to be clear that I don't consider the OP of this thread one of the "disappointing comments" (since I realize now that my comment might seem that way). I just posted here since it seemed like a relevant place for my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this whole thing could have been handled a bit better to avoid suspicion/anger on one side and disappointment on the other. For example, the teacher could've told them where specifically to post these questions. Or to write a little introductory sentence, in which the students states that he/she is a student trying to practise their English.

I did find the sudden interest in UNO a bit weird myself, and as some of these posts had links to other sites I also thought this might be spam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/624552/uno

Really sad, everyone's posts are hidden as spam/offensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
I think this whole thing could have been handled a bit better to avoid suspicion/anger on one side and disappointment on the other. For example, the teacher could've told them where specifically to post these questions. Or to write a little introductory sentence, in which the students states that he/she is a student trying to practise their English.

I did find the sudden interest in UNO a bit weird myself, and as some of these posts had links to other sites I also thought this might be spam.

You make a good point, and I agree with you here. I just feel that for us, it's best to err on the side of caution and kindness, rather than potentially alienate a legitimate new user. It's not like a real spammer would actually be deterred by angry/derogatory replies anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to be in the minority here and say I find these posts (which have been going on for a while now) annoying and more spam-like than some of the actual spam we have seen (like flower deals from India) due to how many there are of them. I get what the class is trying to do, but these people aren't actually interested in UNO (which I actually happen to like), but in improving their language skills. Seriously, there are better places to do this than a place that can be pretty snarky and, for the most part, the people who hang out in the forums aren't really interested in posting-fluff (if you don't want to call it spam) vs posts from people with more (I can't think of a better word for it) 'serious' posts/questions/ comments etc.

YMMV, obviously, but I think the 'meanness' people are describing comes from frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.