Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple questions in regards to this game.

A couple small concern I have with Defenders of the Realms is the apparent lack of items and equipment. Is there really not much for magical items etc in this game? Also is this a feature that could be expanded upon with expansions down the road? When I think of fantasy I think about the great times of discovering ancient artifacts and powerful weapons. Fantasy and equipment just seem to go together in my eyes.

The second concern I have was with the minions themselves. I've noticed each of the colors have their own minion types like orcs and undead etc. but they all look alike besides the colors. Is there any hope of getting a minion pack down the road that really makes each faction of minions look unquie outside of the different colors. I feel this would be a great avenue to explore now with the current generals and potential future generals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zarovichx wrote:
I have a couple questions in regards to this game.

A couple small concern I have with Defenders of the Realms is the apparent lack of items and equipment. Is there really not much for magical items etc in this game? Also is this a feature that could be expanded upon with expansions down the road? When I think of fantasy I think about the great times of discovering ancient artifacts and powerful weapons. Fantasy and equipment just seem to go together in my eyes.
The Quests are what contain these and there will most certainly be more in future expansions. Hell, Richard has already given us two free PnP Group Quests! The expansion with the Dungeons is rumored to have very powerful magical items as rewards as well. Don't worry, there's plenty of fantasy equipment available already or in the works for the Defenders of the Realm experience. cool

Zarovichx wrote:
The second concern I have was with the minions themselves. I've noticed each of the colors have their own minion types like orcs and undead etc. but they all look alike besides the colors. Is there any hope of getting a minion pack down the road that really makes each faction of minions look unquie outside of the different colors. I feel this would be a great avenue to explore now with the current generals and potential future generals.
Yes. There has already been discussion of packs of unique minion mini sculpts for the base game (and future) Generals being made available for purchase. The Troll Alliance expansion is planned to include unique sculpts for the Troll minions as well, I believe.

I strongly recommend that you purchase this game - it is awesome.

And it is only getting better. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, as always I am appreciative when players answer questions before I get to them and Rob has done an excellent job here.

As far as Treasures: There are some treasures in the quests, and the posted Group Quest provides another powerful one. As Rob mentioned, because he and I discussed some of the ideas working, there is an entire dungeon expansion in the works that will include fabulous treasures, but at the cost of time and dire danger of the hero dying to obtain. The idea came to me while working on the Troll Alliance expansion and is about complete. I will post more on it later, but this expansion introduces Dungeons and all the dangers and awards fantasy players expect to find in them, companions that can join the Heroes providing more skills and abilities for the heroes to use, and along with those companions more problems to face in the way of Spies, Warlords to lead minions (not a General or an Agent of the Dark Lord), and wandering monsters to name a few. Sounds like fun to me, which is why I made them (and the game to be honest).

Minion Sculpts: Eagle Games has discussed doing Minions sculpts and while I do not know the time line on this I can state that the Troll Alliance does plan to have Minions that look like Trolls as well as the sculpt for the Troll General Skarr.

Whether you buy or not, I will assure all players that it is my intent (and as far as I can tell the intent of Eagle Games) to continue to support this game with quality expansions that grows the fantasy world and gaming experience. I personally believe the game is great just as a base game and I have enjoyed (and still do) playing just the base game. The addition of the Dragons expansion for me has been wonderful because it provides something for every type of player, as it was intended to do. The 3 Heroes Expansions provides more options of Heroes and events through Global Effects. The Dungeons and Companions (working title is Companions & Catacombs and not yet committed to be published, but I am hopefully as it is too cool) will expand expand the game even more into the more traditional fantasy experience through dungeon crawl opportunities and the Troll Alliance will take the game to a whole new level with diplomacy and new strategies.

So, if you love fantasy and want an epic game with a lot of options, then Defenders of the Realm just may be your game.

Thanks for your interest. Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

My wallet is crying "foul," but I don't care. Keep the expansions coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Gleason
United States
Asheville
North Carolina (NC)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob/Richard,

Thanks for the quick replies. This game really sounds interesting especially with me being an old time 2nd Edition D&D player. I am going to be getting this game for sure now. The expansions sound great and I'll be looking forward to them. Once again, thanks for the responses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game three days ago and have loved every minute. I would encourage you to look at the videos and read the reviews of the game. Like you, I was concerned because of the price point and having a family of seven I have to use my gaming money wisely.

The basic plus points for me were:

I like co-op games and loved Pandemic.
I like fantasy ie Tolkien, Terry Brooks.
The interaction of the designer on the BBG forums.

I also read about the negative reviews including people complaining about the minions looking similar. That being said, it does not affect the game play.

Look at my game collection, look at other players game lists that are similar and make your decision. I can tell you that I am very glad I purchased the game and my kids love it.

Regards,
E
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.