Preston Fuller
United States
Ashland
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to me that all the 15 tiles in scenario 9 are placed face up. Thus there is no revealing any tiles.
based on this, when does one draw encounter cards? Or do they?

The best I can interpret the rules would be based on the Sequence of Play Card:

"Villain Phase" #1 :If you didn't place a tile during your exploration phase, draw an Encounter Card.

Well, no one ever places a tile in this adventure (after set-up) thus you always draw an encounter card during the "Villain Phase" #1.

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have the rules correct. Draw an encounter card during any turn in which you didn't explore.

If I recall when I played this scenario, there's nothing that prevents you from exploring. You start with 15 tiles in play, but you could explore more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Dropez
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
I would rather be here
badge
Auda will come to Aqaba because it is his pleasure...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can't explore in this adventure and the terrain is limited to the initial 15 tiles. If you count the number of monsters in the monster tokens, there are 24 monsters in total. The victory conditions state 20 monsters defeated for victory, and if 5 monsters exit the dungeon the players lose; so it seems you have to play with just the 24 initial monsters and only 4 can exit the dungeon without the players losing. In the moment the 5th monster exits, you lose.

For this same reason I think the encounter cards are not used in this adventure (it is dangerous enough, with up to three monsters per tile!) as long as the encounter cards could add more monsters beyond the initial 24.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We missed the add another monster token factor which made it really off-kilter.

BUT I agree. No encounters. I figured though, if it happens where you haven't killed 20 monsters and cannot move a monster token (rules say move 1 during exploration towards its tile's arrow, if they are on the start tile and not activated, you can't move them) then it would be like not exploring in the hero phase.

Harsh rule, hard to get to, but it also gives that last desperate feel that all the other scenarios do when you are pushing to win an adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahlan wrote:
You have the rules correct. Draw an encounter card during any turn in which you didn't explore.

Just to stress this. That's the correct answer.

If you don't explore, you draw an encounter card.

Unless there's a special rule in setup, and I don't think there is, none of the rules change per scenario.

Yes it's hard. That's why it's a gauntlet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xavilongo wrote:
The victory conditions state 20 monsters defeated for victory, and if 5 monsters exit the dungeon the players lose; so it seems you have to play with just the 24 initial monsters and only 4 can exit the dungeon without the players losing. In the moment the 5th monster exits, you lose.

Correct.

xavilongo wrote:

For this same reason I think the encounter cards are not used in this adventure.

I'm sorry, I can't see your logic here.

The rules are very clear. If not X, then do Y.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see this was necro'ed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a necro really, I think a valid debate.

To me the adventure makes moving the monster tiles 'exploration' so drawing an encounter happens when you can't move a monster tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.