Subject: may buy SAMURAI or CHINA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
which one. why? I will probably play with some gamers and some new gamers. I like to have more strategy over luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Gonzalez
Mexico
Laredo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai hands down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played China, but I would recommend Samuari. I've taught it to many non-gamers and all but 2 (out of 12+) enjoyed it. Samuari was one of the first german games I bougth and remains a favorite to this day.

*edit* - I should point out, the 2 didn't hate Samuari, it just wasn't their cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
To join the chorus - Samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai by far.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
wow samurai is really better than china (kardonial)? Man i think i will have to go with samurai then. So samurai has more strategy than china?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Johan Ragnarsson
United States
Lund
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not, it is just more fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bartlett
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy both. They're two of my absolute favorite Euros. They are themed in such a way that they can be linked into a game night. Samurai plays 2-4, China 3-5. China has two rule sets (you can play with the original K&K rules if you want). Samurai has the coolest pieces ever. China is fast, fast, fast.

How can you choose only one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Burnett
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, buy both. Im my gaming circle, I just introduced K&K, and it went over well. Better than Samurai. Now that I have the English version of Samurai, maybe that will change.

While you're at it, start saving for the English version of Ra coming out this year. (Or purchase Razzia right now.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to agree that Samurai is probably more what you're looking for since it has no luck to speak of. But I'd rather play Kardinal und Konig, even with it's luck of the cards. I like the tough choices that come with trying to balance a majority of towns in the country/majority of controllers in two countries/long line of houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kilgore
United States
Sturgeon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai is close to being out of print. China isn't quite available yet. Anyhow, if you decide that you want Samurai, now is the time to go for it.

BTW, of the two, I've only played Samurai, but it scales almost flawlessly from 2-4, has distinctive bits, and it is easy enough to learn while still offering plenty of depth. As the game progresses, the board fills with pieces and the tension gradually increases with each passing turn - I love that!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Samurai looks beautiful, I thought it was an absolute bore to play. If I had held onto the game, it would have made a great display piece for my gaming room table, but I disliked the game so much that I traded it away.

However, China is a great game (assuming they didn't change it a whole lot from Web of Power). Lots of difficult decisions and tense moments with a dash of luck make it a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
hmm samurai is becoming out of print? NOOO hehe.

Yea Razzia looks pretty good but i im deciding between razzia or RA and for sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yeah yeah yeah...let me join the chorus...

samurai...hands down...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickel Knight
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think its a slam dunk. They are both good games, and bring different things to the table.

K&K is a Euro that satisfied the "serious" gamers in my gaming group. These guys played Britania, The Napoleonic Wars etc., but K&K was on of the Euros that kept coming back the gaming table. A very good game.

Samurai is one of the first Euros I owned. It is elegant, significant other friendly, and has pretty good depth. However, I don't think would go over well with my gaming group.

I'd get both. If you're only getting one, and Samurai is going OOP, then get Samurai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.