Subject: Next Theme for Deck Building ?? When? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott G

Mentor
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... Dominion has a pasted-on theme, for the most part. And many/most of the copy cats that came out seem to be M:tG inspired with "attack the monster" type themes...

But when does the next wave come, that brings less-fantasy, something different?

I was hoping for more traditional themes to come from this "hip new category" known as deck-building, yet everything is fight the monster or fight each other (M:tG style).

Where's the civ building, power plant owning, virus curing, goods shipping, ancient Egypt , racing themes.. or even a new theme?

Anything coming in 2011?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion has a theme? Ah yes, grab the Provinces, ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow is supposed to be a deck-building wargame.
Arctic Scavengers has a post-apocalyptic ice age theme and is getting a reprint.
Eminent Domain has a sci-fi civ-building theme.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time before all of the themes you mentioned get their own deck-building game too. Personally, I'm waiting for "The Unified Deck-builder Theory" which will allow all deck-builders to be combined together into a single game.

Edit: grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike is themey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Puzzle Strike is themey.

So if you take a video game with no theme/a completely pasted on theme and then you make a board game that has a theme faithful to that video game, it counts as being themey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion has a theme... building a medieval kingdom... and the mechanics of many of the cards support that (e.g. if you buy a moat, it protects you from invaders; if you appeal to the throne room, you can get permission to do extra actions, etc.). I think it's actually better themed in that respect than some of the other deck-building games, which may appear to have more "theme", but the concepts of the cards work in relatively abstract ways, regardless. Dominion has a tired/typical theme, no doubt, and it's not something you really think about while playing, but again, in the same way, I don't really think I'm dungeon crawling while playing Thunderstone... it's still just a card game, ultimately.

I hereby propose that the next theme for a deck building game should be... deck building. Whoever builds the biggest or fanciest deck in their back yard will be the winner. Cards could include different lengths of wood, tools like hammers and nails, and allies like Bob Vila.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
BagelManB wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Puzzle Strike is themey.

So if you take a video game with no theme/a completely pasted on theme and then you make a board game that has a theme faithful to that video game, it counts as being themey?

The way of the theme is not easily understood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Branch
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH OH I KNOW, I KNOW

Eaten by Zombies!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/76247/eaten-by-zombies

Bloodsuckers (strategy card game)

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/89222/bloodsuckers

I'm looking forward to both of these A LOT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
Bedford
NH
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
Yes, Dominion is very themey. That moat can protect against pirate ships too! Not to mention that one of the best things to do with your newly acquired province is to ship it off to an island that you already owned! Plus, you can go to the chapel and throw away all your small change! (oh wait, I guess that's kind of accurate)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
Yes, Dominion is very themey. That moat can protect against pirate ships too! Not to mention that one of the best things to do with your newly acquired province is to ship it off to an island that you already owned! Plus, you can go to the chapel and throw away all your small change! (oh wait, I guess that's kind of accurate)

Have you ever owned a Harem in real life? It's nothing like Dominion portrays it to be!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.