Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MARTYR Planning/Intermediate/Optional

Sacrifices Ships

You have the power of sacrifice. As a main player in an encounter, after encounter cards are played but before they are revealed, you may use this power to sacrifice any or all of the ships you have in the encounter. Ships go to the warp, and for each one you sacrifice you play an extra Attack Card. When encounter cards are revealed, if your original encounter card is not a Negotiate, add the values of your Attack Cards together and conclude the encounter as though you had played an Attack Card with that value. All played cards are discarded at the end of the encounter.

History: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one." The Martyrs revolve their lives around this creed. By ridding themselves of all selfishness, they are free to discover all they can truly be.

FLARE

Planning
Wild: As offensive player, before you play your card, you may sacrifice any or all of your ships from the cone to the warp, drawing one card from the deck for each.

Planning
Super: You may sacrifice your allies' ships.

Commentary: This is a combat power from Matt Stone's set. Normally this wouldn't be a power I would care for because it puts your ships into the warp. However, you get a very good benefit from it. In a sense you would be better off playing Deuce since Deuce does not lose a ship to play its second card, but Martyr allows you to go beyond Deuce. There are many powers I would choose over Martyr if given the choice, but I would not be bothered if I was forced to play it by whatever means.

Martyr/Zombie and Martyr/Twins are super combos. Martyr/Vacuum is a very interesting and very annoying combo that adds insult to injury to other players. Martyr/Sting is just a combo; you cannot use Sting via Martyr since you are voluntarily losing ships. Martyr/Witch is a super combo because Witch only specifies that you curse when you lose ships to the warp, not how the ships were lost. Martyr/Ventriloquist is also a super combo since you are putting other players' ships into the warp. Martyr/Amoeba is not quite a super combo, but you are playing very loose with your ships. Martyr/Buck has its potential.

Gerald Katz
Don't forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's similar to my Kamikaze, only it uses cards. I think I like my Kamikaze better. The Martyr uses up his Attack cards faster than other players, which means you don't get to hold onto flares and other cards as long. And it also means you might be left with a hand of nothing but N's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a feeling when editing Martyr that I read a power like it somewhere. Now I remember reading your Kamikaze and thinking it was similar to Martyr at that time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is also similar to FFG's Kamikaze. I liked Martyr a lot, and it was in the custom set that I had, but I think I like FFG's Kamikaze better. As Kamikaze, who knows what you can draw to swing the Encounter your way - an Attack 30, a Cosmic Zap, an Emotion Control, etc. I once reckoned Martyr as one of the Top Ten Best Homebrews, but now that we have both Deuce and Kamikaze in the FFG set, we're covered pretty well IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now all you need is a power which gives sacrificed ships additional straight-up attack power, to simulate the "wheel" mechanic from Dune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.