Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The RCW reprint is my birthday present and it's precious, except for the paper unmounted map! The fuggly combat unit counters? Trivial.

I really dig the new random events and the expansion of play into central Asia.

I also dig the Critical Cities allowing extra Randomizer draws, but Petrograd and Tver-Moscow should be worth two Critical Cities each.

The reason for the following two proposed variants is that the standard rules do a poor job of modeling the first part of the war. Also, the standard rules cause predicable play, with Red Subversive attacks on CP units and Allied units in Murmansk always the first item of business. (Side note: The presence of the CP after Treaty of Brest-Litovsk was a major hindrance to the Reds early in the Civil War. Probably, the Critical Cities should be used for determining availability of replacements, but that's for another day.)

Central Powers
Central Powers forces should be immune to any attack, Subversive or otherwise. Central Powers occupation forces of one million troops were not going to melt away due to a bit of terror and propaganda. Nor were CP forces vulnerable to the kinds of feeble armed forces the Reds and Whites possesses. When the CP forces in Russia collapsed, they collapsed all at once due to events at home (the Armistice), not due to attacks on them.

Until the CP forces evaporate with the Armistice, there should not be any fighting on or behind behind the CP line, which is here broadly defined as anywhere in Poland, Finland, Baltic States, White Russia, or Ukraine. Red, White and Green units could maneuver on or behind the line (stopping when they hit a hostile force), but should not be able to use any form of combat, including Subversive attacks. Red units behind the line could participate in Purges.

Allied Intervention
As long as the First World War was raging, the blue Allied (non-CP) intervention forces would not be easily dislodged and should, until Armistice is pulled, at least defend at double strength against all attacks, including Subversive Attacks.

Lenin was a much bigger Bolshevik than (lately Menshevik) Trotsky. Lenin alone should get the two automatic Politburo markers at start. Also, double Lenin's purge strength from 3 to 6 if he is in Petrograd, and double Trotsky's purge strength from 3 to 6 if he is in Tver-Moscow,

Simultaneous Red-White Victory.
In a Session Report, a player reported Red and White simultaneous victory is possible, with no clear answer in the rules about which side wins then. Any answer to this? I would call it a White Victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are some nice idea's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMother wrote:

In a Session Report, a player reported Red and White simultaneous victory is possible, with no clear answer in the rules about which side wins then. Any answer to this? I would call it a White Victory.

That was my game, with the '76 rules. The '11 rules have the same ambiguity.

I'd say NOBODY wins. The Russians, white and red, have exhausted themselves. They lose all their non-Russian lands and sink into 20 years of internal strife!

Or maybe somebody could answer the question about victory conditions. We tried, and got no response, from the designer, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.