Popular Tags: [View All]
CW Lumm
United States
Hampden
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about it in the shower this morning, and it occurred to me that as far as I know, there aren't any cards that give a bonus for taking the Start Player space.

Why is this? Is it because Herr Rosenberg, in his wisdom, didn't want to give players an incentive to take it turn after turn? (And why would you want to deter this - isn't it usually a losing strategy?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
kamchatka wrote:
I was thinking about it in the shower this morning, and it occurred to me that as far as I know, there aren't any cards that give a bonus for taking the Start Player space.

Why is this? Is it because Herr Rosenberg, in his wisdom, didn't want to give players an incentive to take it turn after turn? (And why would you want to deter this - isn't it usually a losing strategy?)

Probably not a losing strategy if it gave you free wood or sheep or something!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There are Merchant, Traveling Salesman and Businessman. Only the Businessman is tied specifically to Starting Player but all of them enhance the Minor Improvement part of the space. You could argue that early on all Minor Improvements give a bonus to Starting Player because it's the only way to play them early.

And yes, it is likely that there are very few cards tied to that space because it will have a dangerous effect on game flow. If Starting Player turns into the most valuable space for some player, there is nothing stopping them from taking it first action every round. This will most likely utterly destroy the player sitting before them as they will get blocked from the best actions for all game long. Starting Player is good enough as is, there is certainly no need to make the spot any better.

-Ropetus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Weed
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
how sweet the sound...
badge
Fear The Hat !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's already a powerful space, no need to make it crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed that it's already powerful enough. The bonus is in being allowed to play a Minor Improvement, in addition to having first choice next turn. If that first choice is tied directly to the MI the player just laid down, the bonus is basically doubled.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
kamchatka wrote:

It would make it practically impossible for the player to the Start Player's left to win, and very easy for the player to his right.

Besides the cards already mentioned, Foreman is very powerful when you spam Start Player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In family version it provides food each round (with an arrow). And rarely does the first player grab it unless there's 2 or more food or not their first action that round. The power/reward of Start Player is starting the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.