Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing and enjoying flying colors and also serpents. I have also ordered two langton miniatures (the "indy" and a french frigate). My question is for those who have a collection of langton 1200 ships. Are the size differences between the SOL and frigates the same in real life as they are in flying colors?

The reason I ask is that I would like to get a mat but I am unsure of the hex size. Since I have not received any 1200 SOL I am not sure if my frigates are basically one hex big and the 1200 SOL when I get them will take up two, or are they all basically the same length.

If they are the same length how does one play Flying colors with SOL and miniatures? Do all ship then maneuver like frigates? I noticed that alot of pictures posted show SOLs taking up only one hex and sometimes Frigates taking up two hexes but that may be dependent only the scale mat one buys. I have not noticed a picture of a frigate and SOL side by side.

Anyway I hope this is not to convoluted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Nilsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run my much smaller Forged in Battle ships on a 1-inch Hotz mat. My somewhat simplistic solution to the similarity in size between the frigates and the SoL:s to place the SoL:s straddling the hex sides of two hexes and the frigates in the middle of the hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was not a big difference is size between a frigate and a SOL -- certainly nothing like the difference between 20th century battleships and destroyers, for example. There's a maximum size that you can build a wooden ship before structural weaknesses make it impractical. The biggest difference in size between an SOL and a frigate was the number of decks and the draft, not the length or the amount of sail area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renny Borthwick
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff,
I use 1.5" hex mats. Each 1/1200 ship fits into two of these hexes - be it a frigate or a SOL.
Renny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.