Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that these two conventions are coming up soon: MegaCon in Orlando March 25-27 and RECON in Cocoa Beach (Space Coast) April 28-May 1. Both have web sites that, frankly, suck, at least if you are a board gamer trying to figure out whether or not to attend.

MegaCon seems to be primarily RPG, comics, and CCG, plus some board games. There is some kind of connection to an Orlando board gaming group, but I can't find any explicit mention of board gaming to take place during the convention.

RECON seems to be primarily miniatures and war games, with some board games. They are going to have several sessions of Warhammer Fantasy Board Games, a Catan tournament, and on the schedule are 1 session each of:
Amun-Re
Ticket to Ride
Werewolf (2 sessions)
TransAmerica
Guillotine
Small World

Now, if I were going to play games, none of those are ones I would choose. So my questions to you wonderful BGG folks are:

1. Do you have any better information on either of these events? Are you going?

2. Does it make any sense for a board gamer to attend a non-primarily-board-gaming convention, if none of the other (primary) topics would be of interest?

3. Generally at these events, are there lots of opportunities for ad-hoc gaming? Or are you pretty limited to what is pre-scheduled?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really can't comment on Megacon. I've never gone because I've heard the strength of the con is in all the other things going on there. Although, I know one of the people in charge of gaming there. He is primarily a miniature gamer and has really increased that type of gaming there. I do not know how the board gaming is there. It is a fairly expensive con.

I've attended Recon quite a few times over MANY years. Not so much after they moved out of Tampa and I haven't attended since they moved out of Orlando. But, as you have figured out it is primarily Historical Miniature gaming with all other games added to make it more attractive to all gamers.

Typically they would give board gamers a room (maybe now it's an area) for themselves. Some didn't like being off from the rest of the con, so they may have changed that. (Personally I liked being left alone). A friend of my now helps run games there. Specifically board games. As with all cons, it's hard to get people to 'step up' and run games. So, the schedule is always based on who you can get to run games. But, in the past there has been a lot of 'pick up' gaming with board games. One warning it is DEAD on Sunday (or had been in the past). If you go, plan on going Friday and Saturday.

You might also check out Rapier in Jacksonville. www.rapiercon.com It's a lot like Recon where it's primary focus is historical miniature gaming, but has done a very good job of including all gaming.

There isn't much on the schedule yet, but it will be filling out soon. I volunteer there specifically to run board games. I normally take 20-30 titles for pick up gaming in addition to whatever is on there schedule. I will be running a white board 'challenge' which will have a trophy and prizes for board gaming throughout the weekend. Even though the event says it starts Friday afternoon, they let the board gamers in Friday morning. (This year a huge game of Case Blue may be starting as early as Wednesday).

Here's a geeklist from last year http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/55678/rapier-2010-june... there are addition 'war games' that didn't make it onto the list (as well as all the 'non-board gaming')

I must say that it's fairly dead on Sunday's too, but I stay there until the bitter end running at least one table of board games.

So, to sum up:
Megacon - no unless you are also going there for the sci-fi/comic stuff
Recon - Friday and Saturday may be worth it for pick up games
Rapier - come and game! If there is something in my collection you'd like to try, let me know.

If you go to Recon, might I suggest signing up to run one session of your favorite game? Then you know there is something getting played you like,

Happy Gaming,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to one of those a few years ago. For the life of me I can't remember which one now. As an avid board gamer I was a little bored. Not much there for the board gaming crowd.

However, Rapier = awesome fun good time

Still a fairly large amount of miniature games going on, but a good board game crowd as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly North Adams
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just attended MegaCon with the intention of playing boardgames. The board game room was empty. So I hope you didn't attend as I did. I'm not sure about the other con though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Coffey
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As POC for Rapier, I would like to point out that Rapier now has 49 games scheduled including a number of Board and RPGs. As Mike has indicated we also welcome pick up gaming and have a seperate area available throughout the con. A few of the newer Essen games are on the list such as Great Fire of London 1666, and London, along with old standbys such as Pandemic, Powergrid, Die Macher, Railroad Tycoon, and even Source of the Nile.

Rapier also is featuring Claymore, the con within the con for those hardcore hex and counter historical wargamers to play an extensive convention long game. As Mike said, the OCS game Case Blue, will be starting Wednesday morning June 10th and running throughout the convention. We also have space for other board wargaming and would welcome such efforts.

Head to the website at www.rapiercon.com for additional information.

Chip Coffey
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.