Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Cochran
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to play this game with 5 other friends last night. After hearing it described as "The game that Smallworld was modeled after" I was very interested to give it a shot.

Of the people at the table, only 2 had played before. After rolling the dice, I won the right to go first. Yippie.

This game uses a mechanic similar to Power Grid, the person in first gets first pick of the weaker choices (in this case events). The last place person gets first pick of the races.

While being in first place is a fantastic place to be, the races are really where it's at. I think until the end of the game, being in 3 places might be a better idea. You get the middle pick of both cards (events and races).

However, one must bear in mind that at the end of each turn, the top 3 point holders get bonus points. The person in first gets first pick of the extra vps, and it's passed down the line. These are not revealed until the end of the game.

I won't bore you with a full game write up. However, before the vp chits were turned over, the distance between first and sixth places was 8 vps. It was neck and neck!

In the end, I came in second. The person in first had played before and had 3 more VP's from being in the top three than I did. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. I did make two mistakes my last turn that could have put me tied with him or possibly one more point.

Some strategy thoughts:

-Going first in the later turns is a great idea. You get points for your current race and what is left on the board. If you wait to go last, you may only have your current race on the board. However, you do have to weight this against the number of armies you receive.

-The event cards range from very strong to quite mediocre. The good ones cost Vp's to use. It's easy to get tunnel vision, spend 2 vps to pick up 3. It's all about economy and squeaking out every last point.

-There will be armchair generals at the table. You could be in a spot that could get you 2 points if you go 1 of 4 different places. It may not matter this turn, but could make a big difference for the next turn.

Gameplay thoughts:

-Lots of down time. Lots. If you aren't getting attacked, you could be waiting 20 minutes of so to take your turn in a 6 player game. This usually isn't a big deal at our table. Lots of smack talk will pass the time. But if you have a guy who hast to plot out each possible move and complete a college level calculus problem to figure out his points before he places his peaces, you may go mad.

-Each turn feels like you accomplished something. You drop your pieces, kill armies and score. In games where everyone scores at the end of the round instead of in this game at the end of your turn, your turn feels much more rewarding. If I spend 20 minutes waiting for my turn, wipe out an army, only to be counter attacked and get no points, this game would get a serious thumbs down.

-Variety. There are 7 races each turn, one randomly gets removed. This game has serious replay value. I'd like to see it with 5 people where it isn't so crowed. However, 6 people made this feel like a war would break out at any time.

-Combat. Lots of it. It's how you win. The game favors the attacker so you will see lots of gambling in this game. That 6 on the die could give you another 3 points. Or maybe you take the safe 1 point. Lots of options to keep you enthralled.

With all of that said, the game is fairly balanced. It moves at a decent pace. I found it to be great fun and would love to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't Small World modelled after Vinci?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:

Indeed, I also seem to recall that Small World appeared some months before this game. Perhaps what the OP heard was referring to the older History of the World, which has been mentioned as having influenced Vinci.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
This isn't Small World - so don't call the civilizations 'races', please.

My playgroups have generally enjoyed the game, once they learn not to overthink their turns and keep it moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
necrochaos wrote:
-Lots of down time. Lots. If you aren't getting attacked, you could be waiting 20 minutes of so to take your turn in a 6 player game. This usually isn't a big deal at our table. Lots of smack talk will pass the time. But if you have a guy who hast to plot out each possible move and complete a college level calculus problem to figure out his points before he places his peaces, you may go mad.

That's the squeeze with this game.

Lots of players = lots of competition for space and a great feeling of the sweep of history, but at the price of downtime (although it is an improvement over the original HOTW game in this - and indeed other - respects).

Fewer players = less downtime but you lose the sweep and the competition for space. Small World keeps it tight by using a smaller board for smaller groups, but planet Earth doesn't similarly oblige. It's an interesting thought though: 'Only 4 players? Let's nuke France, Korea, Britain, Persia and North America to keep it tight'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
HamsterOfFury wrote:

Absolutely, and if there was ever any doubt, there won't be after you've played them both.

Still, both Vinci and Small World give the feeling that Keyaerts must have spent some time enjoying the original History of the World.

This game is one of the few "remakes" where I find the rule changes to be inferior. As they both suffer from significant downtime, I much prefer the original to this version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I know that guy, it's "Delaying Dave" Pinecone. I didn't go mad, I GOT mad and stopped gaming with him. Ahhhhh, gaming is so much better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.