Popular Tags: [View All]
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m looking to fill the car fighting race game genre in my collection. Here are things I’m looking for. I might not be able to get all of these, but I’m looking for the best scratching of the itch.

Board Game: I want a board game with 3D cars on some kind of track. No card games or miniature game rules where I have to model a track or modify hot wheels cars (although I wouldn’t mind a board game where I have the option of building a 3D board if I get the urge in the future). I’d like to pull it out of the box and play.

Race: I want there to be a race theme. I don’t want to drive in circles or in an arena shooting at each other.

Weapons/Fighting: I want cars to have weapons and gadgets that can be customized.

Driver: I’d like the cars to have drivers with some personality that give the game more theme.

Strategy/Tactics: randomness and rolling dice are fine, but I don’t want the entire game to hinge on that. I want th4ere to be some strategic decisions and some tactics to winning the game.

No elimination: I’d like the game to be played to the end with everyone involved. No elimination when your car blows up, for instance.

Complexity: Moderate. I’m not looking for something so simplex it’s dull for a group of adults, but I’m not looking for a super complex miniature type game. Something you can pick up, read the rules, and be playing in an hour or less and not get bored after the first play.

# Players: 2-5+

Genre: I want it to be a fighty type game. It can be science fiction, post apocalyptic, or street racing.

So far, the two obvious choices look like Formula D (the street race version) or Road Kill Rally. Any comparison or recommendations from people who have played both would be appreciated.

I’m not looking for a list of every car race game out there just because it’s a car race game. I’m not looking for ones with house rules or fan-variants to make it what I want. I’m not looking for a list of “I heard of this game…” type recommendations. I want recommendations based on games you have played and enjoyed and think fit most of the criteria of what I’m looking for.

Comparisons between games of the same type are very much appreciated as well as your personal opinions on the good, the bad, and the ugly of any game.

Thanx!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of Formula De (Race rules, not street rules) and I have played Road Kill Rally once. Both are fun games but lack some of the elements you are seeking.

I would suggest reading the variants and alternate rules in the Formula De game thread. Others have ventured to create something similar to what you are seeking.

Good luck, have fun, and keep between the fence posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not cars, but I think RoboRally would be the best game I have played that would scratch your itch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to immediately break one of your rules I'm afraid as I really have no interest in racing games and so tend not to play them. That said it's probably worth your time checking out some reviews of Rush n' Crush if you haven't already done so as I believe it hits most of what you're looking for but, as I say, you'll have to look elsewhere for valid opinions on how good the game actually is.

I note that Road Kill Rally is the Tanga daily special so I guess that's what's prompted this question or is it just coincidence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Robertson
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Life is Short; Play Games!
badge
The BixCON Series of gaming events: A combination of Great Friends, Great Food, & Great Drink!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Rush 'n' Crush once and found it disappointing and a bit fiddly. I know others really like the game so perhaps I am isolated in my view. Try before you buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Junkyard Races is what you are looking for.
I´d say it is more random than strategy, but have a look youselfe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J G
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
I´d say it is more random than strategy, but have a look youselfe.

I 2nd giving Junkyard Races a try if you think "Mario Kart" can fit what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Makelith wrote:
It's not cars, but I think RoboRally would be the best game I have played that would scratch your itch.

Huh? Not sure what Roborally has to do with this at all?? I do have that game...sort of bores me, but my daughter likes it, so I sometimes play it with her and the family or her friends.

Bixby wrote:
I played Rush 'n' Crush once and found it disappointing and a bit fiddly. I know others really like the game so perhaps I am isolated in my view. Try before you buy.

I've checked this one out. It doesn't really grab me either.

Markus Hagenauer wrote:

Checking it out now. It looks fun and I like the presentation...if only it had more destructive weapons.whistle [Edit: Wait? Missile launchers? Maybe this will work!]

DreadFuzzy wrote:
I note that Road Kill Rally is the Tanga daily special so I guess that's what's prompted this question or is it just coincidence?

There are a few "holes" I'd like to fill. One is a good western theme game, one is a really engrossing epic science fiction game that doesn't take all day to play, and one is a car race game...but yeah, I had ignored Road Kill Rally before, but did click on it today and it prompted me to spend some time searching today.

In the past, I had been looking more at the plethora of miniature games (mostly for customized hot wheels cars), but I want something more compact and less time consuming. I enjoy building 3D boards and mini games...but I don't think a car race game is going to be worth the time and space, so I rather have a really solid board game when I'm in the mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunder Road-

It is player elimination, but a nice war race game anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having wasted...er...spent the whole morning researching, I think it's either going to be Road Kill Rally or Junkyard Races.

This is a tough choice because they both do the kind of things I want out of this sort of game. From what I can see in reviews, pictures, and videos, I like the mechanics of both, the themes, the presentation, and components.

The biggest problem now is the simple fact that I really don't need 2 games this similar.

What to do!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Road Kill Rally is on sale at Tanga for a good price. One night at PAX prime I was slightly drunk, walked into the area where the MTG tournament was going on to meet a friend, and sat down at the Z-Man games booth that happened to be in the same area and demoed Road Kill Rally. I thought it was a fun game, but I've never played a racing game before so I have nothing to compare it to. I'd say it is worth the $20 +shipping Tanga is offering right now.

http://www.tanga.com/products/road-kill-rally-board-game--2?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizbeth
United Kingdom
banbury
oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have to say rush n' crush is a great game. Admitedly, it's the only race game I've played but it definitely feels good fun when I do play it.

Out of the two you've narrowed down to and owning neither I'd say junkyard races, it definitely looks more interesting than RKR does.

(And FYI, if you have a gap for social jokery, I'd suggest shadow hunters, kinda off topic, but I felt useless witht he first bit of my reply )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Circus Maximus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elizabeth Robson wrote:
I'd suggest shadow hunters

It's on a short list for next Holloween...but that's no big hurry.

Mr Mjeh wrote:

Nice pics...but not right now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine has Circus Maximus and it is an absolute blast. One guy got thrown from his chariot but was still drawn over the finish by the horses as he had got stuck in the reigns.

Pure fun, that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizbeth
United Kingdom
banbury
oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I have to summarise the average shadow hunters game in 3 phases: 1) who the hell are you people, I'm just going to hit you
2) oh, you were against me, perfect, now we know who everyone is
3) epic ten minute dice fest that you'll still pay attention too inspite of knowng it's all luck

And yes, chariot stuff is probably pretty close actually now someone mentions it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
Pure fun, that!

No guns, no cars, no gadgets...not what I'm after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
You want Car Wars. You'd want to do some scenario design to meet all your criteria, and you might not have an easy time finding a copy, but that's your Platonic Ideal of a racing/fighting game right there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bezio
United States
Lyndon Station
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
You want Car Wars.

It's a great recomendation for car games, and also the first one that comes to mind...but it's also the first one I wrote off. To complex for what I wanted, crappy componenets unless I want to go out and buy miniatures and build a 3D game board.

In any case...I ordered BOTH Road Kill Rally AND Junkyard Races.

Junkyard Races was pulling ahead (pun not intended) in my mind just because it looked a bit quicker and lighthearted. It also looked like something I might be able to get "normal" non-gamer people to play.

However, Road Kill Rally looked like it might offer a more involved experience for more "hardcore" gamers. Since it was avaliable today for only $27, I decided what the hell.

So $57 for two games isn't that bad...one of them has got to be fun, and I can always trade off the other if I don't love them both.

Thanks for all the help and for pointing me to Junkyard Races, looks like it'll be a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauder
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not much to do with the original post, since I think you've made your mind up already. I would like to add in Galaxy Trucker as a game I think you would enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.