Subject: couple questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
just picked up the game, and have some basic questions

Can you use a location you just placed to decrease the price of a unit you place afterwards, in the same mustering phase (ie kneel this location to reduce the price of a stark unit by one...etc)?

Characters can participate in challenges the same round they enter play?

is there a good single source of additional rules not included in the rulebook? ie, what the heck are "the shadow", what do all these goofy symbols mean, whats a boon, etc?

What order are plot cards resolved? Initiative order? or in the order decided by the first player?

Can you do responses to plot cards? Ie valor morgulis kills all characters.. could I quickly kneel some character to use their ability before they have to die? assuming the ability was able to be used in any phase?

Does a 0 claim challenge still trigger the deadly affects, or the unopposed free power award, if the attacker is successful?

Is there any extra cost for mustering neutral units?

There is a Lannister card (cant remember the name) in the start box that says pay x gold to reduce a players claim by x. Does that only apply to one challenge, or to all challenges by that player that round?

Does playing another version of a character (Ned stark is in play, a second ned stark is player for free behind him) considered an attachment in terms of triggering card effects (ie gain one power each time an attachment is played)?

Lets say I have a character which stakes
challenge phase" kneel this character to kneel another character
how does that work? Can I do it at any point in the challenge phase? or just during my turn.
Can I do it after an opponent declares a challenge and the target of the challenge (lets say me) to then kneel a character that I think would be involved in the challenge

The title which lets you redirect on challenge... at what point is the challenge redirected? after the player chooses the target of the challenge, is it before or after choosing what characters will be involved? Is it another time?
is the player then allowed to change the characters involved?

thanks!
Mateo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most, if not all of your questions can be found on the resources here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

especially in the FAQ.

There are also lots tends to be more people who can answer quickly to rules questions on the fantasy flight games forums. Unfortunately I am short on time at the moment, but I will try and come back later and answer what I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:
just picked up the game, and have some basic questions

Can you use a location you just placed to decrease the price of a unit you place afterwards, in the same mustering phase (ie kneel this location to reduce the price of a stark unit by one...etc)?

yes

mateooo wrote:

yes

mateooo wrote:
is there a good single source of additional rules not included in the rulebook? ie, what the heck are "the shadow", what do all these goofy symbols mean, whats a boon, etc?

The Rules section on FFG's support page and the most recent FAQ located there

Shadow cards have the shadow crest (ex Sister of Truth bottom right corner), boon is just a trait, it doesn't do anything on its own.

mateooo wrote:
What order are plot cards resolved? Initiative order? or in the order decided by the first player?

First player decides.

mateooo wrote:
Can you do responses to plot cards? Ie valor morgulis kills all characters.. could I quickly kneel some character to use their ability before they have to die? assuming the ability was able to be used in any phase?

Not with Any Phase actions. Responses are generally the only thing and they have to have an action to respond to.

mateooo wrote:
Does a 0 claim challenge still trigger the deadly affects, or the unopposed free power award, if the attacker is successful?

yes

mateooo wrote:

no

mateooo wrote:
There is a Lannister card (cant remember the name) in the start box that says pay x gold to reduce a players claim by x. Does that only apply to one challenge, or to all challenges by that player that round?

You are thinking of I Never Bet Against My Family. It is only for the duration of that single challenge.

mateooo wrote:
Does playing another version of a character (Ned stark is in play, a second ned stark is player for free behind him) considered an attachment in terms of triggering card effects (ie gain one power each time an attachment is played)?

No
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iron James Rackham
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll give it a shot.

mateooo wrote:

Yup.

Quote:

Yes, no summoning sickness in aGoT.

Quote:

The FAQ is a good source:[url]
http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agotlcg/suppor...[/url]
Shadow is a mechanic introduced in the Kings Landing chapter pack cycle, and most of the cards with the shadow crest are from that cycle. The rules for shadows are here: http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agotlcg/suppor...

Quote:

The "When revealed:" effects are resolved in the order decided by the first player.

Quote:

Yes. When the characters are killed they enter a "moribound" state, during which they can trigger responses etc. You need to read the timing section in the FAQ to fully understand this.
Edit: Check Darksbane's answer above. You can't do "Any phase:" or "Plot:" actions, because they are considered Player actions, which you can't take until after the effect is fully resolved.

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

No.

Quote:

I'm sure it says on the card.

Quote:

I don't think so. He's considered a duplicate, not an attachment. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Márton Borlay
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fairly new player too, and although I'm starting to get the hang of the rules, I often find myself wondering what's a particular card good for.

So let me ask this (didn't want to open a new topic for it):
What's Stoney Sept (http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=29118) good for, in the context of a Brotherhood deck? Why would I want to take a character back to my hand, especially in a deck where characters hold all my power tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could return a character to your hand to prevent him from being killed, from say valar morghulis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Márton Borlay
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morpheus133 wrote:
You could return a character to your hand to prevent him from being killed, from say valar morghulis

Can I? This is an Any Phase action, not a response. Maybe I'm understanding the FAQ wrong, but it seems you can only play responses within a framework action, not actions, so there's no opportunity to play it.

I still feel this card can only be used when you somehow foresee that the character will die, and this feels silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borlaym wrote:
I'm a fairly new player too, and although I'm starting to get the hang of the rules, I often find myself wondering what's a particular card good for.

So let me ask this (didn't want to open a new topic for it):
What's Stoney Sept (http://agot.dbler.com/index.php?view=card&arsenalid=29118) good for, in the context of a Brotherhood deck? Why would I want to take a character back to my hand, especially in a deck where characters hold all my power tokens?

It is useful in combination with Orphaned Recruit (OSaS) to get power off your house card if it somehow manages to get there. You could also combo it with cards like Old Nan or Lion's Gate to give your other characters the brotherhood trait to bounce them back to your hand and get to use their coming into play abilities again.

Quote:
Can I? This is an Any Phase action, not a response. Maybe I'm understanding the FAQ wrong, but it seems you can only play responses within a framework action, not actions, so there's no opportunity to play it.

It won't help you against an opponents valar but if you are about to valar or wildfire you can use it pre plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use it for your own Valor to save someone before you clear the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
a few questions not answered

how does that work? Can I do it at any point in the challenge phase? or just during my turn.
Can I do it after an opponent declares a challenge and the target of the challenge (lets say me) to then kneel a character that I think would be involved in the challenge

Basically, if I have a character that gives me an ability in a specific phase, do I have to wait till my turn, or can I play it in the middle of another persons turn?

The title which lets you redirect on challenge... at what point is the challenge redirected? after the player chooses the target of the challenge, is it before or after choosing what characters will be involved? Is it another time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Basically, if I have a character that gives me an ability in a specific phase, do I have to wait till my turn, or can I play it in the middle of another persons turn?

You can do it any time you play has passed to you during the [player actions] windows. Check out the flowcharts in the FAQ.

In the case of your specific example though You would have to do it in the player action window before he declares a challenge. Once he initiates the challenge he has to kneel the characters in the same framework action window so after that point in the next player action window they are already knelt and participating in the challenge.

Quote:

From FAQ
(v1.0) Lord Commander of the Kingsguard
The redirect ability on Lord Commander of the
Kingsguard occurs during step 2 (save/cancel)
of the resolution of the Framework Action
Window in which stealth targets are chosen
and defenders are (not) declared. It cancels
the initiation of this Window, and re-opens
the Player Action Window between declaring
attackers (now against the new target) and
assigning stealth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.