Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda hate Zombies, and as such a zombie theme is normally a turn off for me. However this game sounds like a neat use of deck building. I'd certainly give it a shot.

My thematic question is this - you say that when you KILL a zombie, it comes into your deck, and that sounds like it slows you down a bit (as you draw them) but then you get to unleash them on someone else... and if you kill SO MANY zombies that you draw a handful of all zombies, then the zombie players win.

That seems weird. If you KILL the zombies, how come they make things worse for you? I would think that when you FLEE from a zombie it would go into your deck (follow you around, like in the movies), and if you KILL one then you're safe (from that one anyway).

Mechanically, it sounds like it might be easier in general to flee in the early game, until you gear up and can start killing zombies. That seems like it might reinforce the thematic oddity above... or maybe that's the reason for the rule (so in the early game when you are fleeing, you don't fill your deck with zombies). Is that it?

Anyway, just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Holliday
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Seth thanks for inquirering about my game.

I've taken almost all thematic qualities from Romero films and have tried to design a game that felt like you were in one. In zombie films as with the game killing people is a hard to do and it wares on the mind, even though they are dead and trying to eat you!
So as you kill the zombies you lose a bit of your humanity and with it your mind will slowly unravel... you'll start making mistakes; not taking the things you may need ever time you go out (drawing zombies); walking away or just not helping when you know your friends are in trouble (playing zombies on them); or completely losing it and just going around unlocking all the door and just letting the zombies have what they want(having a hand full of zombies)

When you Flee you may have gotten away but you also just left your friends standing there and they now have to deal with it, but at least you don't have any blood on your hands! In the game every turn one zombies turns up and one zombie wonders off. If on your turn you fled from a Horde with more than one zombie in it, only one of them gets lost and wonders off the the others stay around for the next player and a new zombies joins the Horde as well. But if you can't flee from all the zombies they all catch up and try to take bit out of you.

I know that sounds like a lot is going on but its all hidden away in the mechanics (like a Eurogame)If your not into zombies it's just a nail bitty game of who can use their resources the most efficiently. If you love zombies, you'll laugh as you release you just left your Safe House with nothing but bad memory's, a Sandwich and a Heavy Stick!! (like Ameritrash)

Out of my game groups I'm really the only one who loves zombie movies and making a game that both felt like a Zombie Movie but didn't feel like 'zombies in game form' was a big deal to me when I designed this.

I hope that cleared that up for you and thanks again for your interest in my little game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert C Branch
United States
Granada Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jiblet wrote:
Seth thanks for inquirer about my game.

I've taken almost all thematic qualities from Romero films and have tried to design a game that felt like you were in one. In zombie films as with the game killing people is a hard to do and it wares on the mind, even though they are dead and trying to eat you!
So as you kill the zombies you lose a bit of your humanity and with it your mind will slowly unravel... you'll start making mistakes; not taking the things you may need ever time you go out (drawing zombies); walking away or just helping when you know your friends are in trouble (playing zombies on them); or completely losing it and just going around unlocking all the door and just letting the zombies have what they want(having a hand full of zombies)

When you Flee you may have gotten away but you also just left your friends standing there and they now have to deal it, but at least you don't any blood on your hands! In the game every turn one zombies turns up and one zombie wonders off. If on your turn you fled from a Horde with more than one zombie in it, only one of them gets lost and wonders off the the others stay around for the next player and a new zombies joins the Horde as well. But if you can't flee from all the zombies they all catch up and try to take bit out of you.

I know that sounds like a lot is going on but its all hidden away in the mechanics (like a Eurogame)If your not into zombies it's just a nail bitty game of who can use their resources the most efficiently. If you love zombies, you'll laugh as you release you just left your Safe House with nothing but bad memory's, a Sandwich and a Heavy Stick!! (like Ameritrash)

Out of my game groups I'm really the only one who loves zombie movies and making a game that both felt like a Zombie Movie but didn't feel like 'zombies in game form' was a big deal to me when I designed this.

I hope that cleared that up for you and thanks again for your interest in my little game!

Being a HUGE Zombie fan myself and believing that Romero is a god among men when it comes to the Living Dead. I have to say that you sound like a true fan yourself who has a strong knowledge of the history and have built a game that will represent all of that love and knowledge in a VERY fun way. Thank you for giving all of us the opportunity to play in such an excellent undead universe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenjoy
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jiblet wrote:

As you kill the zombies you lose a bit of your humanity and with it your mind will slowly unravel... you'll start making mistakes; not taking the things you may need ever time you go out (drawing zombies); walking away or just not helping when you know your friends are in trouble (playing zombies on them); or completely losing it and just going around unlocking all the door and just letting the zombies have what they want(having a hand full of zombies)

When you Flee you may have gotten away but you also just left your friends standing there and they now have to deal with it, but at least you don't have any blood on your hands! In the game every turn one zombies turns up and one zombie wonders off. If on your turn you fled from a Horde with more than one zombie in it, only one of them gets lost and wonders off the the others stay around for the next player and a new zombies joins the Horde as well. But if you can't flee from all the zombies they all catch up and try to take bit out of you.

Just discovered this game online yesterday (reviews and responses). Love this, and this thematic design really supports it. Will be using this to explain it to my game-group. They all play World of Darkness so humanity loss will make great sense to them.

Looking forward to getting this game ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This theme question is so interesting/insightful about the game that we went ahead and added it to the FAQ on the Kickstarter.

Max, I wish you'd start a diary or something either on the forums here or in the blogs about the evolution of the art and theme and mechanics, etc. It is really interesting and people would love to hear it!

Guys, if you haven't listened to the two podcasts with Max talking about the game it may be worth it for some of the backstory. The language in both is un-family friendly, but Max's parts are choice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.