Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: The Campaign is officially closed. Instructions below detailing how to participate are left intact for historical purposes only. The idea lives on - you are strongly encouraged to employ useful titles for all your threads, but the campaign will no longer provide incentives for doing so.

This thread is for individual users who have been inspired by the Campaign to make the Rules Folders more useful, and who have taken the trouble to go through their own rules question threads and re-name the ones with non-descriptive titles. For a full description of and follow up discussion about the Campaign, see here. If you're highly motivated and are interested in becoming more deeply involved as a Patron, see here.

I've already received a substantial amount of GeekGold in tips from those other threads, and I want to plow it back into the campaign. I hope to spend the bulk of it here in the form of rewards to individuals. Don't think of this as an opportunity to earn Geek Gold, though, because that isn't the intent. It's set up in such a way that no individual can earn much anyway.

The true intent of the Campaign is to forge a partnership, with Patrons and individual users working together for the good of all. The Geek Gold awards are largely symbolic. They exist to underscore that we are serious, and serve as a token of appreciation for those who are willing to help.

Rules
- To qualify, the changed thread (or threads) must have been posted in an individual game's Rules Folder prior to this date. (I'm all for good threads throughout the site, but the Rules Folders are the sole focus for this Campaign).
- Do not submit changes that simply fine tune thread names that were already functional. That is good practice too, but only titles that were initially non-specific qualify.
- Please follow the standard format (see below).
- One post per user please (combine all of your changes in a single post).
- Do not list a thread change for which you have been contacted directly via GeekMail by a Patron. You can't collect twice for the same post. But even if you have already earned a Geek Gold from a Patron, please do post any other thread name changes you've made here. If you made the additional effort, I want to reward you, and more importantly, the more people who post here, the more influence we will have. I hope to eventually see hundreds (if not thousands) of thread changes listed here.

Rewards
I will pay 1 GeekGold for the first title change listed in your post, and an additional .20 Geek Gold for each additional thread changed. I'll be the judge, of course, but I'm really just looking for improvements that will make the Rules Folders more useful.

Standard Format
Here is the format for listing your changes:

game: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
old: Questions after first game
new: Questions about Karl: Honor Test? Ignore double hit from Angry Trees?
link

The easiest way to use that as a template is to hit 'quote' at the bottom right of this post, copy those lines, then paste them into your own post and substitute your own data. To get the game ID, use 'Insert Geek Link' when editing your post, select 'Board Game', then type the name of the game.

Finally, please...
- do not be embarrassed that your original thread name required fixing. The first thread I fixed when I started this Campaign was one of my own - I used it above as the example for the standard format.
- do not feel funny about accepting the Geek Gold. You are free to pass it on if you don't want it for yourself. Rewards are a token of appreciation for participation - everybody gets one. Giving them out consistently is one of the foundations of the Campaign, and exceptions would only be a distraction.
- do not post general comments about this thread, or the campaign in general, here. Put them in the Campaign discussion thread instead, so this thread will serve as a record of our collective accomplishment. Which thread will generate more changes, this one driven by volunteers, or the Adopt a Game geeklist driven by the Patrons? I'd love to see a healthy competition develop between the two.

Quote:
Update

It's clear at this point that the Adopt a Game geeklist is the real winner in this campaign. I will keep this going, though, because we do need a place for people to post their own cleaned up threads and be rewarded.

Ellephai, (one of our Patrons!), wondered whether the reason we've had so little response on this thread might be that some users don't know how to find their rules questions threads in order to check the titles. That hadn't occurred to me, but it's worth a shot. To find the threads you've created, follow these steps:

1) Click on My Geek at the top of the page.
2) Click on Contributions.
3) Look at the top right, under Board Games in the Threads & Replies box, and click the number next to Threads.

At that point you'll see a list of all the threads you've created in the game forums. For our purposes, we're interested in only those that say "Rules" under the name of the game.

I also wonder whether some have held back because, even though they have some question threads that they think need new names, they aren't confident that they can come up with good names. If that's the case, please contact me. If I get more than two or three requests for assistance in coming up with good names, I'll recruit some Patrons at large to provide that service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Campaign to make the rules folders more useful - Individual Participation
It's a good idea, but I'm pretty comfortable with all the thread names for the dozen-or-so rules threads I've ever posted. Some are a little vague because they deal with several different aspects of the rule or action names in the title.

I wonder whether the majority of people who title threads 'rules' aren't actually interested in following up threads like this, though.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
mbmbmbmbmb
game: Dungeon Twister
old: Bridge
new: Bridge collapse with 3 strength + modifier? (answer: no)
link

game: Dungeon Twister
old: adjacent tile and fountain of youth
new: Adjacent tile, magophage ability and fountain of youth
link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Bump?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops just saw one for myself:

Game: Cyclades
Old: End Game Question
New: Game end - 3 metropolises trumps all?
Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Utopia Engine
Old: A few rules comments/questions
New: Proofreading the rules for clarity (w/q's about successful activations, and enabling artifact powers)
link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see that besides the anal retentives, who are already perfect, a few people have started to respond to this thread with suggested improvements to their thread titles. Its a useful service you are providing. Hope it catches on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Game: Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie
Old: Probably a dumb question
New: Why are some squads Common and Others Unique
Link

Game: WWE Raw Deal
Old: quick question
New: question about "fan favorite" and "cheater" cards
Link

Magic: The Gathering
Old: quick question
New: concerning multiple Wall of Nets (probably could have a better name considering the question is actually more universal than just about Wall of Nets)
Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Manhattan
Old: My Opponent Wants a Ruling
New: My Opponent Wants a Ruling (2-Player Tie Score)
link

Game: Arkham Horror
Old: Two Quick Questions
New: When Do You Fight Monsters Guarding Gates, and Checking the Procedures on Monster and Outskirts Limits
link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: A Most Dangerous Time
Old: Retreat questions
New: Retreat in a space with a castle/temple questions
link

George, you may skip my reward, since the original title was fairly descriptive. I was simply inspired by your ambitious project to make it a little better. Kudos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea. This is something that can only help make this site more useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At some point I'm going to want to total up all the changes made as a result of the Campaign, and I want the following changes - the one I made in my own thread, the two I tipped separately before the campaign took its final form - to be included:

user: Sphere
game: A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
old: Questions after first game
new: Questions about Karl: Honor Test? Ignore double hit from Angry Trees?
link

user: John_VW
game: Railways of the World
old title: simple question?
new title: Perform first action only once?
link

user: duckizz
game: Cyclades
old title: some questions (after scrolling thru 4 pages here)
new title: Batttle timing; What may be hidden behind shields; Do fort and metropolis bonuses stack?
link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Last
Canada
Rocky Mountain House
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
game: Twilight Struggle
old: Cuban Missile Crisis in the Headline phase & NORAD.
new: Question: NORAD and DEFCON 2 during the Headline Phase
link

game: Twilight Struggle
old: Scoring Clarification
new: Question: How to determine Control & Domination for Scoring
link

(Fine tuned one other thread title)
Sadly, I think that may be all my started threads here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Campbell
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is an awesome project! Unfortunately I do not have the time to contribute as much as the committed shepards, but what I can do is change my post(s)...I was shocked to find out I only had a single thread in the Rules forums, located in the Wrath of Ashardalon Pages:

Game:Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
old: New to the D&D board games , a few questions...
new: 3 Questions: Encounter Card Draws, New Monsters Attacking, Long Hallway Monster Spawn
link

Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb

Game: Hammer of the Scots
Old: More on Moray
New: Moray and victory conditions
link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
game: Gasp! (Decktet game)
old: I don't understand....
new: Why does 8 beat 9 in the example? (Answer: partners may add values)
link

I also have
game: Risk: Black Ops
old: Card Tricks: What's up with the turn-in rules?
link

but I feel it's descriptive enough as it stands, given that I asked the question when the revised Risk rules weren't available (but are now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Septyn wrote:
game: Gasp! (Decktet game)
old: I don't understand....
new: Why does 8 beat 9 in the example? (Answer: partners may add values)
link

I also have
game: Risk: Black Ops
old: Card Tricks: What's up with the turn-in rules?
link

but I feel it's descriptive enough as it stands, given that I asked the question when the revised Risk rules weren't available (but are now).

Good call. That second title is fine as is - it tells me what the subject is. I'm glad you fixed the first one, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Jaipur
Old: Question about discarding:
New: Question: When is the hand-size limit enforced?
Link

Not the biggest change, but far less vague.

Is there a way to move a post from one forum section to another? I have one rules post that is technically about the rules, but mostly about me rambling. Changing the title of it wouldn't change the fact that there isn't actually any helpful information inside!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I have one I'd like to move INTO Rules from General (not this one)

Game: Traders of Genoa
Old: 2-Player Silly Question
New: 2-Player Silly Question (Can Tower Player Use "1 Further Action" Card)
link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Is there a way to move a post from one forum section to another? I have one rules post that is technically about the rules, but mostly about me rambling. Changing the title of it wouldn't change the fact that there isn't actually any helpful information inside!

Carmilla wrote:
Yep, I have one I'd like to move INTO Rules from General

Only an admin can move a thread. There is a red X at the top of any thread, and one of the selections under it is 'Wrong Folder', but that doesn't let you specify where you'd like to see it go.

These are the two admins who I've noticed moving threads most frequently:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb

J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb

I suggest you send one of them a geekmail with your request.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: St. Petersburg
Old: Tie Breaker Question
New: Tie Breaker Question: Do Rubles Count Twice?
link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
We've got a mess in the Dungeon Twister forum.

Choubi contacted me about this thread, suggesting a subject change.

The problem? I didn't make that thread. I replied to the threadmaker, and the threadmaker later returned and deleted his question, leaving my answer appearing to be the thread's original post.

(actually, it's beginning to look to me like the original poster's account was deleted. One of the people who thumbed-up my reply is shown as "(deleted user)" )

However, editting the subject of my post doesn't change the thread title. I imagine only editting the subject of the original post itself would cause the thread to take on the new subject - but as the original post is long gone, I don't know if tis can be done. At a minimum it looks like it would require moderator/administrator intervention - but even they may not be able to resubject a thread that no longer has its original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I got one of those in Mystery of the Abbey as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
We've got a mess in the Dungeon Twister forum.

That's a shame - I hope our efforts had nothing to do with the departure of that user. It seems unlikely, but the timing makes you wonder...

I'll contact Octavian, and see if he can do anything for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I doubt it is related - particularly considering Choubi contact thatmarkguy thinking it was his thread. That implies the deleted content happened some time ago. Google cache confirms this - the thread original first post had been deleted sometime prior to January 30th of this year.

As for changing the title of such threads, unfortunately there's not much that can be easily done. If a thread has no substantive content anymore because of a deleted original post then I can delete the thread. Otherwise we should just let it be.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.