Subject: Moves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Grimm
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I am pretty sure that it is illegal or against the rules to make two armies siply switch places, but not positive. So...

1.) Can two armies switch places, or do they bounce eachother? (say germany sends his army from hol to bel and france sends his army from bel to hol, whould they switch or bounce.)
-I know this would be pointless for someone to do with two of his own armys, but if I encountered a situation like the one I described I would not be sure what to do.
-Does the same go for Fleets?

2.) Can and army and a fleet switch places?
-I would like to know this for two reasons. One, if I ran into a situation similar to the one above I would not know and two, this would actually come in handy for a player to do with his own fleet and army.

Thanks to anyone who reads this and fully answers it, you will have been a lot of help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Moves
BadSon (#479140),

I seem to to have misplaced my rules at the moment (which is a bit of a concern), however I will rely on the memory of many years of mispent youth playing Diplomacy.

No switching places. They will bounce each other, regardless of Army Army, Army Fleet or Fleet Fleet.

You can pull off a three way waltz, i.e. A -> B, B -> C, C -> A but you will will notice that no one on one switching has occurred.

You example of Germany Hol -> Bel and France Bel -> Hol will result in a bounce.

If support was involved in the above, e.g. the Germans supported Hol -> Bel with another unit the French unit still wouldn't get to Hol because a displaced unit may never go to the province where its attacker came from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
-I know this would be pointless for someone to do with two of his own armys, but if I encountered a situation like the one I described I would not be sure what to do.
-Does the same go for Fleets?

It's already been answered; I just wanted to point out that it's far from useless. It's very handy for using 2 units to protect 3 areas. For instance, if France suspects a German A Mun-Bur but doesn't want to actually move the army from Marseilles (guarding against an Italian stab), France could order A Par-Bur, A Mar-Bur and force Bur to be a "bounce point", thus bouncing any German push and keeping the two armies guarding Paris and Marseilles.

2.) Can and army and a fleet switch places?
-I would like to know this for two reasons. One, if I ran into a situation similar to the one above I would not know and two, this would actually come in handy for a player to do with his own fleet and army.

In the 1958 rules, they could. In all later rules, they could not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Heintzelman
United States
Setauket
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BadSon (#479140),

Just to add one small clarification: They may not switch places unless one is convoyed. Sometimes that is a useful tactic (say, F Hel C A Hol - Kie, expecting German A Kie - Hol...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.