Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Afrika Korps» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question - if Tobruk falls can the allies land supply at the home base? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcus Rodda
msg tools
Just wondering if I have read the rules correctly. It seems that if Tobruk falls then the allies cannot land any supply until they retake Tobruk with existing supply. Is that correct?

cheers

Marcus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can use either the home base or Tobruk to land your supply. If you lose both then you have to use existing supply to recapture one of the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mizuno
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about the question. Seth's answer is correct, if the supply unit in question is at sea between the home base and Tobruk, and the home base is currently controlled and garrisoned by the Allied player.

However... as I recall, you must maintain control of the home base (or Tobruk) if you are attempting to land units at either end of the sea transport.

In other words, the interpretation that I have always seen as correct, as an example:

On April 1, the units at Matruh (7A 1 & 2, I believe), along with all 1-1-6's at El Alamein move to the Allied Home Base and rush out to sea.

Since the Allied player cannot produce a supply unit at the Home Base, since he is not currently maintaining control of the area with a unit, the Allied player generally produces a supply unit at Tobruk, and sends it as far down the coastal road towards Alexandria as possible. If he fails to do this on April 1, no units can land at Alexandria on April 2.

On April 2, assuming the Allies no longer have a unit garrisoning the home base of Alexandria, and do not have a way of getting a unit into garrison status at Alexandria, units At Sea cannot land back at the Allied Home Base. The home base, (or Tobruk) cannot receive units from At Sea unless/until a unit is garrisoning the home base (or Tobruk).

So I believe the answer is... sort of. Depending on whether or not the base or the fortress is controlled (and control is dependent on whether or not there is a unit sitting in the base or fortress, or has a ZOC estending into the home base hex), At Sea units may, or may not, be landed from the At Sea box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos A. L. de Miranda
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't played this for decades, but IIRC, the last player to have a unit over a location controls the location. Have to read the rules to be certain, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
calm wrote:
I haven't played this for decades, but IIRC, the last player to have a unit over a location controls the location. Have to read the rules to be certain, though.

I just started a solitaire game last week, and have read the rules recently as well. I'm not with the game right now, so I can't look, but I'm pretty sure Carlos is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobruk is a fortress, so you must occupy it to control it.

RE: Logistics Section, rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:

I believe you need to have a unit in your home base to control it as well.
That is why an Italian infantry division wastes the whole game sitting in the Axis home base rather than be useful somewhere else in the desert.
(And why the Axis are not allowed to land a supply unit on the first turn.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Schoose
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still play this a couple of times a year and I think I can clarify the rules questions:

1) You MUST garrison your home base or Tobruch if you want to land a supply unit there
2) If you move units out to sea, you must garrison a port in order to land those units at that port

As mentioned, this is why the Axis player needs to put a unit at their home base on the first turn. As for the Allied player moving all of his 1-1-6's out to sea on the first turn, this is a good move as long as the Allied player leaves a supply unit in Tobruch so that they can land their on the II April turn. This is typically done along with running a new supply unit down the coast road to go and garrison the Allied home base.

Enjoy the games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve mizuno
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BLSchoose wrote:
I still play this a couple of times a year and I think I can clarify the rules questions:

1) You MUST garrison your home base or Tobruch if you want to land a supply unit there
2) If you move units out to sea, you must garrison a port in order to land those units at that port

As mentioned, this is why the Axis player needs to put a unit at their home base on the first turn. As for the Allied player moving all of his 1-1-6's out to sea on the first turn, this is a good move as long as the Allied player leaves a supply unit in Tobruch so that they can land their on the II April turn. This is typically done along with running a new supply unit down the coast road to go and garrison the Allied home base.

Enjoy the games!

I was pretty sure about this, Bert. Thanks for confirming it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
tallracer333 wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

I believe you need to have a unit in your home base to control it as well.
That is why an Italian infantry division wastes the whole game sitting in the Axis home base rather than be useful somewhere else in the desert.
(And why the Axis are not allowed to land a supply unit on the first turn.)

Yes, this is correct. The It. Div. just sits there at the Home Base.

If it helps anyone going forward, I think of it as the Div. is spread out all along the supply road defending it against attacks by the Long Range Desert Group and the SAS.

The Br. kept more than 1 Brig. in Egypt at all times. Maybe to control the Egyptians who were not all that happy to be "Protected" by the Br.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.