Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of Dominant Species 2nd Printing and man it looks pretty. I'm so excited to get this to the table.

I had a quick question for those that have played the game: The player/species sheets seem rather thin, would it be a good idea to laminate them?

I have access to a really good laminating machine so I don't think I need to worry about the quality of lamination.

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
I have laminated mine and it is ok, they are much more durable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
No, it wouldn't.

Why not? Is it because I'd be "ruining" actual game components?

Edits: My typing fingers do not want to cooperate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Malaiser wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
No, it wouldn't.

Why not? Is it because I'd be "ruining" actual game components?

Oh, nothing like that. I just figured everyone would tell you to go ahead and laminate them so I figured I'd give you an opposing viewpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
Oh, nothing like that. I just figured everyone would tell you to go ahead and laminate them so I figured I'd give you an opposing viewpoint.

Thanks for the opposing viewpoint. That made me laugh.

Have you found that the sheets have held up during play? Do they seem thin but are actually pretty durable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I've never even thought about it. Typically they are at least partially slid under the plexiglas we use on the board. They're fine I guess.

I'm not one who sleeves cards, clips counters or does anything else to preserve my games other than forbid people to touch them with snack food fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they're thin, but you don't really touch/manipulate/handle them other than to (maybe) pick a random starting animal. You just put element chits on them maybe 4 or 5 times a game, so don't worry about that. Sure it would add a nice finish touch to laminate them but other than the looks, I don't think it's necessary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
Yes they're thin, but you don't really touch/manipulate/handle them other than to (maybe) pick a random starting animal.

This is perhaps better done by drawing initiative markers, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
No Player Aid Needed
I'm not a fan of the aids and have done what some may consider unthinkable by cutting out the element tracking portion to save space on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:
I'm not a fan of the aids and have done what some may consider unthinkable by cutting out the element tracking portion to save space on the table.

ouch. I wouldn't even think about thinking about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Thanks guys. I love to laminate things so maybe I am jumping the gun. I think I will wait until after my first play before I decide whether or not to laminate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminated them...no regrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaqr wrote:
I laminated them...no regrets.

I imagine that will help them hold up well as the tundra spreads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
h00sha wrote:

Truly unthinkable for me. I'd have made color copies and cut them up instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Grotius
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about your plexiglass. You cover the whole board with it? I do that with games like Combat Commander, which has a paper map, but my edition of Dominant Species has a mounted map and mounted tiles. Is yours that way too?

The one issue we have is that elements get jostled pretty easily; it's hard to keep them on the intersection of hexes. Does plexiglass help with that?

Malacandra wrote:
Honestly I've never even thought about it. Typically they are at least partially slid under the plexiglas we use on the board. They're fine I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grotius wrote:
I'm curious about your plexiglass. You cover the whole board with it? I do that with games like Combat Commander, which has a paper map, but my edition of Dominant Species has a mounted map and mounted tiles. Is yours that way too?

The one issue we have is that elements get jostled pretty easily; it's hard to keep them on the intersection of hexes. Does plexiglass help with that?

Malacandra wrote:

The table we play on isn't entirely flat because of uneven leaves. We pretty much just lay down Plexiglas on everything we play. I don't mind playing without it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.