Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules for running trains mention that:
Quote:
At least one run for a company must include the town occupied by the company's home base token. The next run must intersect with first run at a station, be it large station, small station, or halt. Each further run must intersect with a previous run in a similar way.

What is understood by "intersection" of routs? If second route starts in a city where first route ended is it an intersection? Or do both routes have to pass through the intersecting station?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Duarte
Portugal
Montijo
flag msg tools
:-)))
badge
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
adambadura wrote:
The rules for running trains mention that:
Quote:
At least one run for a company must include the town occupied by the company's home base token. The next run must intersect with first run at a station, be it large station, small station, or halt. Each further run must intersect with a previous run in a similar way.

What is understood by "intersection" of routs? If second route starts in a city where first route ended is it an intersection? Or do both routes have to pass through the intersecting station?

When I played this game used the following "rule":

If second route starts in a city where first route ended is it an intersection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe its easier to say "all routes must be contiguous". The usual rules that don't allow re-using any track in multiple routes still holds, but otherwise as long as all routes are "touching"/"contiguous" it is legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Each route must include the home station or must include a revenue location which was present on a prior route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Each route must include the home station or must include a revenue location which was present on a prior route.

And it must also include a large station with company's base as required by:
Quote:
Every run must include a large station which has one of the company’s base tokens on it.

So "typical" 18xx rules for running trains are in 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight restricted by:
1) requiring that at least one train uses home large station,
2) routes must intersect,
and extended by:
1) allowing one route in OR to pass through blocked large station.

How about small stations and halts? The rules mention that:
Quote:
Trains must call at all large and small stations on the route.

which I understand as that each large station on the route has to be counted (which seems to be a usuall rule for 1860: Railways on the Isle of Wight) and each small station has to be counted (to the first or second allowenc of the train). As I assume halts can be ignored.

But later we can read that:
Quote:
Trains may ‘bypass’ halts and small stations (and not include them in a route).

which contradicts that all small stations on the route have to be "called".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin M
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first edition rules required you to call at all the small stations on your route and limit your route length accordingly. The second edition got rid of this requirement so you can ignore ones that exceed your small station/halt limit.

The large number on the train is the number of large stations you can use, the small number is the number of small stations or halts. If you can't use the whole of the large station total you can add the remainder to your small station total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Badura
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All fine but both quotes regarding small stations are from second edition rules. And they seem contradictory. So is it a mistake in the rules then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin M
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a mistake.
One of the change in the second edition rules was to treat small stations like halts in the way they were counted (hence the bold and underline on the second reference). This is mentioned on page 15 - Playing the Original Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's a mistake. You can play the new edition both ways, with mandatory small stations or allowing players to skip them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
one more question in this area:

is it legal for 2 routes to intersect at a small station or halt that neither of them counted for revenue? or are those skipped stations considered to be not part of a route?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mb
clearclaw wrote:

What do you mean by "revenue location"?
I though it should be a token, from pdf rules "Every run must include a large station which has one of the company's base tokens on it. "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
newbie newbie
msg tools
bazik123 wrote:
one more question in this area:

is it legal for 2 routes to intersect at a small station or halt that neither of them counted for revenue? or are those skipped stations considered to be not part of a route?

Yes, it is legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Serpentium wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

What do you mean by "revenue location"?

A location that contributes revenue to the run.

Quote:
I though it should be a token, from pdf rules "Every run must include a large station which has one of the company's base tokens on it. "

That is an additional constraint, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Russo
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mb
Coming back from the 1862 I wonder if it is possible to consider intersect of two route the case where a route ends in a tokened-out city and the other route starts from the other side of the tokened-out city.

I.e. Consider a straight line of token in this way:
BIG CITY 1 - BIG CITY tokened out 2 - BIG CITY tokened-out 3 - BIG CITY 4
Can I run a first train 1 - 2 - 3 skipping city 2, and then "intersect" a new route from city 3 to city 4?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.