Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I was reading the rules, we are going to play tonight, and I found something that confused me.

1) Player is Dutch playing is a Merchant. (No bounty tokens).

2) An English and Dutch admiral are on the board.

3) English and the Dutch go to war.

4) English Admiral scouts the Dutch Merchant.

5) Combat is started and the Dutch merchant gets an English Bounty. (Is this correct?)

6) Dutch merchant flees.

7) Now the Dutch admiral will scout and attack the Dutch Merchant because she is a Pirate?

Anyway this seems like a strange situation. Perhaps you don't get a bounty when you are attacked by a Naval ship? Maybe only when you start the combat? I realize that this is a rare situation, but I thought I'd ask.

Great game, I am excited to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not. Being attacked by a Naval ship does not make a bounty. Only defeating that naval ship does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If YOU attacked the naval ship, even if you lost, you would get a bounty. If you attacked and won, you would get two bounties. If the naval ship attacks you and you do not defeat it, you would get no bounty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hoppe
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can become a pirate through no pirate action of your your own? For example you get attacked from the result of a war and as a result of defending yourself you defeat a naval vessel and get a bounty?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - Water from an Ancient Well
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caladore wrote:
So you can become a pirate through no pirate action of your your own? For example you get attacked from the result of a war and as a result of defending yourself you defeat a naval vessel and get a bounty?

You could say that, or you could say that the action you took was your choice to fight rather than flee.

If a Naval ship or Player Merchant scouts and attacks a pirate does the pirate get a bounty?
The only way to avoid a bounty from a NPC Naval Ship's Nation that attacks you.....

[edit] Note how useful the names for those earlier threads were - that made them easy to find. For more on that subject, see here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a thematically strange situation indeed. It makes no sense why a Dutch Naval Ship would hunt you down for being attacked and then sinking an English naval vessel while England and Holland were at war.

When this happens I'd like to see the player receive a Letter of Marque from that nation which would make them immune from that nations naval vessels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:
This is a thematically strange situation indeed. It makes no sense why a Dutch Naval Ship would hunt you down for being attacked and then sinking an English naval vessel while England and Holland were at war.

When this happens I'd like to see the player receive a Letter of Marque from that nation which would make them immune from that nations naval vessels.

If you get the Letter of Marque for a nation, that's pretty much what happens... sort of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links and the comments. I am happy that running away at least clears your name. Although I think I would house rule and exception if you sunk the navel ship. Something like this:

If at war and attacked by an enemy Navel Ship, and you have no bounties, and you defeat that Navel Ship than you can claim the Letter of Marque for your nation.

I realize that something like this is to narrow and complicated for the rules, but I think it is fine for a house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:

Yes, this is a very good topic for a house rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
Thanks for the links and the comments. I am happy that running away at least clears your name. Although I think I would house rule and exception if you sunk the navel ship. Something like this:

If at war and attacked by an enemy Navel Ship, and you have no bounties, and you defeat that Navel Ship than you can claim the Letter of Marque for your nation.

I realize that something like this is to narrow and complicated for the rules, but I think it is fine for a house rule.

It might be simpler to house rule that you do not get a bounty in this specific situation, or broaden it to include attacking the naval ship of the nation with which your country is at war... no bounty in either case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burton
United States
Boca Raton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And to add to everyones comments.

If the English and Dutch are at war, then they are both Man O Wars, and therefore will not scout for players.

I read in the rules that if 2 Man O wars are in the same sea zone, they dont scout for players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.