Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Like it says above - any suggestions, please?

I am sure there are some threads here about shuffling outsize decks (or just small ones with lotsa cards e.g. Carcassone!) but I can't find any. If anyone can help point to them, that would be great.

And if there is none, then - what do you do? How to randomise an outsize deck, please? It isn't easy to do an ordinary shuffle, and obviously a riffle is out of the question. Is there an easier way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Virum
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beloch wrote:
(...) and obviously a riffle is out of the question.

Actually, that is exactly what I do: I make two equal piles, place my thumb like I was going to do an ordinary riffle, and then I just lift the tiles into one another - think of it as a riffle without applying any pressure. Works like a charm, because it gives the high degree of randomness seen in a riffle, and at the same speed.

The only reason one applies pressure during a card-riffle is that the mass of the cards are inadequate in order to mix the cards, whereas these cardboard-pieces have sufficient mass to "fall into eachother" without additional pressure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I spread/fan the tiles face down across the table and then pick them up one at time at random. Fairly quick and no damage to the edges of the tiles. Job's a good 'un.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i hold all the tiles in my left hand while using my right hand to pull out small sections from the middle and bottom of the stack and place them on top. i do it for a full minute or so and feel pretty good about how well the stack shuffles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I make 6 piles and randomly place the tiles on each pile. Then with the 6 piles I gently combine back into one pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jason setley
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I shuffle them in small stacks, then stack the stacks, making one huge stack. LOL

~Jason zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all, just what I needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Parish
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Make two stacks of tiles
2. Take one stack in each hand
3. Drop 1-2 tiles from one hand to begin a 3rd (shuffled) stack
4. Drop 1-2 tiles from your other hand into the 3rd (shuffled)stack
5. Repeat steps 3-4 until you have a single stack of shuffled tiles
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until the tiles are shuffled to your satisfaction.

Simple, quick, and easy on the tiles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.